Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hi bb- there have been several posts over the years for ideas for improving on the GMAT especially from the 600 to 700+ level. From your experience/posts can you let us know following:
1. Recommended Book(s) for Math- preferably 1-2 books only
2. Recommended book(s) for Verbal- preferably 1-2 books only
3. An aproximate time table and startegy recommendation for study plan
Thanks for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8809 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 15:50
Expert's post
Thank you - all good suggestions.

There is a study plan like that in place already - let me know if it is not exactly what you meant:
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

In terms of books/materials - I tried to bring those up in the study plan. I don't think there are necessarily 1-2 books that are 700+ level. Again, please tell me if I am not getting it right, but in my mind, the difference between 600 and 700 score is actually paying more attention, being more persistent, asking questions, and often using exact same books. I wish there was a 700-level book :( but there is nothing that comes to my mind. Again, I may be forgetting something, so do challenge me!

For math, you can use Kaplan Math Workbook - that's all I used and got q49
If you want 1-2 books for Verbal - I can recommend either PowerScore Verbal Bible or Kaplan Verbal Workbook.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 16:12
Perhaps it's time for you to profit off of this and design a 700 level book...
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 16:15
Folks,

There is no "magic pill" or "one size fits all" for prep.

Some things work for different people, and some do not. The key is YOU must figure out what YOU need to break the barriers.

We have plenty of resources that provide people guidance on "HOW" to determine the above. It's up to you to seek that information.

This is an art, not a science.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 16:19
Expert's post
bpearce wrote:
Perhaps it's time for you to profit off of this and design a 700 level book...

:lol:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 22:19
bb- thanks for the reply. I understand there is no one size fits all solution for acing the GMAT. Nonetheless, a framework of books and some strategy does help bring some method in madness :) ..

The issue I have as a second time test taker is what should I be doing differently than I did the first time I took it. The first time I took the test I went through OG12,Princeton Review,Kaplan and MGMAT for SC. In terms of doing practice I used to do 25 practice questions at a time from each section and try to finish in 50 mins. I found myself wanting for time in the actual GMAT.For Math and especially verbal I used to revisit the questions I struggled or got wrong after some weeks but what I found was I was able to remember the solution to the problem or the correct sentence correction or CR answers and was able to work out faster the second time round. The downfall to that I found is the second time I got it right b'cos subconciously I remembered the correct answer.

So I would like your suggestion on how to go about practicing the questions from the books you have mentioned to ingrain concepts than fall into a pitfall of remembering them. I hope I am making sense- do you get me? Thnaks for your time again.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 00:45
Expert's post
kasi5 wrote:
bb- thanks for the reply. I understand there is no one size fits all solution for acing the GMAT. Nonetheless, a framework of books and some strategy does help bring some method in madness :) ..

The issue I have as a second time test taker is what should I be doing differently than I did the first time I took it. The first time I took the test I went through OG12,Princeton Review,Kaplan and MGMAT for SC. In terms of doing practice I used to do 25 practice questions at a time from each section and try to finish in 50 mins. I found myself wanting for time in the actual GMAT.For Math and especially verbal I used to revisit the questions I struggled or got wrong after some weeks but what I found was I was able to remember the solution to the problem or the correct sentence correction or CR answers and was able to work out faster the second time round. The downfall to that I found is the second time I got it right b'cos subconciously I remembered the correct answer.

So I would like your suggestion on how to go about practicing the questions from the books you have mentioned to ingrain concepts than fall into a pitfall of remembering them. I hope I am making sense- do you get me? Thnaks for your time again.

Have you seen this post specifically for retakers?
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Practice Questions are not the key, it is the rules and principles behind them that are critical - you can score 700+ without ever seeing a GMAT question if your math and grammar are good. (you'd probably do much better if you practice, but realistically, this test is not about questions, but material behind them).

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 09:40
thanks bb...I shall try re-practicing and hopefully this time my belief that I understood the concepts will be validated. The metric for whether the concepts have been understood has to come from practice test scores or doing similar problems I had difficulty from another book source.
What is your opinion on how to gauge the improvement or metric for whether you have understood concepts?
Also, what is your recommendation on improving speed? I found wanting by 3-4 questions during actual test.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 10:11
Expert's post
kasi5 wrote:
thanks bb...I shall try re-practicing and hopefully this time my belief that I understood the concepts will be validated. The metric for whether the concepts have been understood has to come from practice test scores or doing similar problems I had difficulty from another book source.
What is your opinion on how to gauge the improvement or metric for whether you have understood concepts?
Also, what is your recommendation on improving speed? I found wanting by 3-4 questions during actual test.

That would be this: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 12:45
thanks and also about the other question I had asked- What is your opinion on how to gauge the improvement or metric for whether you have understood concepts after you do the practice exercise from books?
Re: Calling on bb to consolidate ideas to improve on GMAT   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2010, 12:45