Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 09:43
Great post indeed sudden. Good Luck next week!

Well with a 7.9% acceptance rate in 2007 they can find 350 or so people with that profile in a second...
It makes me fell a little bit better, hehehe

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 16:20
any idea when the calls are going out? i have heard as early as tuesday. for what it's worth, my interviewer said that applications were "way up" this year (no numbers). i am assuming that means interviews are up as well, so my guess is the acceptance rate will probably be 30-40%. i am about 90% sure that i will get dinged, but it was fun to at least get to interview.

terry (or anyone else)... just out of curiousity, how many of the students you met were "very young" -- 0-2 years of work ex? were most of the students near the 26 average or were there a bunch near 24 and a bunch near 28? comments on the distribution would be appreciated.

also, terry, could you comment on the directed idealism at stanford that you noticed (as per your previous post)? stanford says they want people who want to save the world, but most of the people i have seen that have been admitted thus far were more of the standard profile at top schools: ivy / high academics / blue chip. i am starting to lose some faith in stanford's marketing -- is this warranted? thanks.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 16:33
sudden wrote:
any idea when the calls are going out? i have heard as early as tuesday. for what it's worth, my interviewer said that applications were "way up" this year (no numbers). i am assuming that means interviews are up as well, so my guess is the acceptance rate will probably be 30-40%. i am about 90% sure that i will get dinged, but it was fun to at least get to interview.

terry (or anyone else)... just out of curiousity, how many of the students you met were "very young" -- 0-2 years of work ex? were most of the students near the 26 average or were there a bunch near 24 and a bunch near 28? comments on the distribution would be appreciated.

also, terry, could you comment on the directed idealism at stanford that you noticed (as per your previous post)? stanford says they want people who want to save the world, but most of the people i have seen that have been admitted thus far were more of the standard profile at top schools: ivy / high academics / blue chip. i am starting to lose some faith in stanford's marketing -- is this warranted? thanks.

Dude, interview invitations will be less than 20%, acceptance bellow 12%, so you need to already celebrate. REALLY!

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 16:54
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I can't comment on application volume, etc., because Derrick specifically told us that info wouldn't be released until matriculation.

I think there were less than 5 (total, not percent) college seniors at Admit Weekend out of total attendance ~150. A _lot_ of people were M/B/B consultants, PE, VC/entrepreneurship, or Google/Microsoft with 2-4 years experience, so they fall in the range you mentioned. Yeah, a lot fit that standard type of profile but they were a fair number of oddballs- Peace Corps veterans, teachers, etc. I was probably among the oddest :) .

I think that profile is, like it or not, a mark of "pedigree" that a lot of schools go for. (Please, no one start a flame war... I'm not trying to turn this into B-week.) Based on my interactions with other prospective students, I really do think that Stanford looks within that group for people with a sense of idealism and a desire to positively impact the world. This inevitably sounds wishy-washy and lame, but I'm being intentionally vague here. I don't feel comfortable providing examples of other people's goals in a public forum.

I'm sorry my answer to that last part is so unhelpful :oops: . Let me know if you have specific questions in that area, and I'll do my best to answer them.

As an aside, I've spent way too much time on gmatclub today... clearly, my GF's on call :-D
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 17:21
terry12 wrote:
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I can't comment on application volume, etc., because Derrick specifically told us that info wouldn't be released until matriculation.

I think there were less than 5 (total, not percent) college seniors at Admit Weekend out of total attendance ~150. A _lot_ of people were M/B/B consultants, PE, VC/entrepreneurship, or Google/Microsoft with 2-4 years experience, so they fall in the range you mentioned. Yeah, a lot fit that standard type of profile but they were a fair number of oddballs- Peace Corps veterans, teachers, etc. I was probably among the oddest :) .

I think that profile is, like it or not, a mark of "pedigree" that a lot of schools go for. (Please, no one start a flame war... I'm not trying to turn this into B-week.) Based on my interactions with other prospective students, I really do think that Stanford looks within that group for people with a sense of idealism and a desire to positively impact the world. This inevitably sounds wishy-washy and lame, but I'm being intentionally vague here. I don't feel comfortable providing examples of other people's goals in a public forum.

I'm sorry my answer to that last part is so unhelpful :oops: . Let me know if you have specific questions in that area, and I'll do my best to answer them.

As an aside, I've spent way too much time on gmatclub today... clearly, my GF's on call :-D

thanks for the reply. no worries on the vagueness - i understand that someone else's dreams don't translate that well to text, not to mention the fact that some level of privacy should be maintained. i wasn't clear on what you meant by "looks within that group" -- you are referring to the pedigree group? if that is the case, do you have any sense of how many people came from state schools or had no pedigree? i'm not looking to start a flame war -- it is what it is -- just trying to get a sense of what the odds of a state schooler making the cut might be. my feeling is that it is pretty low. on the other hand, the website indicates that they accepted people from something like 70-80 different universities in the most recent class. thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 18:07
Yeah, I was referring to the group that fit the profile. While that "pedigreed" group did compose a substantial percentage of admits, there were plenty of people from other schools- including a bunch of state schools- and industries as well. I don't know what the exact percentage is though...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 08:13
The wait is killing me...Should we assume a Thursday ding if we don't get a call on Wednesday?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 08:34
It's hard to say because Stanford is always a little different, but I think it's safe to assume a ding. Because the class size is so small, they have much fewer admits to call, thus you should receive a call before Thursday if you are admitted. I think there might be an exception to that statement for people who interviewed last week, but I would not count on that, either.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 08:33
I am dying here. AAAAAAAAAAH. Can't sleep anymore.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 09:11
elhajoui wrote:
I am dying here. AAAAAAAAAAH. Can't sleep anymore.

Dude, you already got into Wharton. I know you want to go to the GSB, but seriously, you should be drinking heavily on a regular basis to celebrate the W admit. Getting into the GSB would just be icing on the cake.

Good luck -- based on your profile, your chances are much better than most (~90% I'm sure!).
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 13:10
Terry -- do you know when the Derrick calls start going out? I heard no call = reject

I am utterly worthless and unproductive right now...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 13:43
From a few posts up :-D

terry12 wrote:
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I

One thing... he often calls work numbers late night Tuesday or early morning Wednesday, leaving a pleasantly surprising voicemail when people come into work. So if you're glued to BWeek on Wed. (I sure was) and you start hearing about people getting voicemails, you might freak out if you haven't gotten one. Don't. Calls go out throughout the day.

And I'm gonna head off another question. The caller ID says "Private Call." :)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 13:57
i am going crazy waiting to find out. i already stopped working (on friday). i am leaving the US soon and i just want to know where i am headed so i can start planning. to make matters worse, there is a possibility that my decision may come later than April 3 because i did not have my interview till 03/28...i was told i had to do it by 26/27 but the assigned alum was travelling and so i got reassigned on 03/27 and had the interview the next day.... :arh

i had convinced myself that i was not really into stanford and was totally focused on my 2 other schools. i even had the nerve to NOT be excited when i was invited to interview (i think i was in shock, i was depressed at work and just utterly confused)

BUT

who am i kidding? i want Stanford so bad and it hit me again why during the interview. back to praying. what else can be done at this point :pray :pray :pray
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 14:15
Good Luck

Last edited by elhajoui on 06 Apr 2008, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 15:22
wow this is SO intense...i don't remember people being this excited/nervous/"aaah" for undergrad admissions!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 16:52
good luck y'all! We need some more Stanford (and West Coast) representation here on GMATClub!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 21:57
I totally relate to the anxiety related to this wait period!!

All the very best guys!! Hope you all get the "Hi this Bolton .." call :)
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 22:00
grad_mba wrote:
I totally relate to the anxiety related to this wait period!!

All the very best guys!! Hope you all get the "Hi this Bolton .." call :)

Hi grad_mba, long time no see. How are you doing? I was telling a friend about you .. and how Stanford made a big mistake not giving you that "Hi this is Bolton" call.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 23:13
like I said before, it's Stanford's loss not to admit people like grad_mba (and me :P)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 23:56
good luck everyone...
I'm just waiting for official confirmation of ding (no interview invite).
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2008, 23:56