Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 18:58
well, even for the class of 2006 application (just 2 years before us), they had NO LIMIT for the what matters essay... the student I talked to said he wrote TEN pages... and was shocked to hear that it's 3 pages now. It'll definitely be a different ballgame this year!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Talk about length [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 19:48
Yeah, I just spent an hour cutting out the fat of my 1st essay and its still 4 pages long... Well, time to move on and I'll come back to it with the butcher knife ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 21:15
you can always take space from the other essays... (thought that's near impossible)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 13:35
kryzak wrote:
definitely helps. talked to a current student today, and he gave me some good ideas... two approaches. one is to find a unifying theme of your life motivations and write it that way. The other is to look at what themes you want to portray to each business school, see what's left out of Essays B and C, and try to develop a theme for Essay A using the remaining things you want to talk about your candidacy...

wow ..... I wished you ahd posted that last week.

I tried both approaches, though in reverse order - first I saw how I had arrived on my "goals" and said thats what mattered the most to me. I shoe-horned things that I was not able to show anywhere else in the essay an then sprinkled a dab of community service an left to bake - results - a crap cake

I then grappled with the topic for two days an changed my approach. I tried the unifying theory approach, and the essay is definately less crappier
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 13:54
sangoman wrote:
kryzak wrote:
definitely helps. talked to a current student today, and he gave me some good ideas... two approaches. one is to find a unifying theme of your life motivations and write it that way. The other is to look at what themes you want to portray to each business school, see what's left out of Essays B and C, and try to develop a theme for Essay A using the remaining things you want to talk about your candidacy...

wow ..... I wished you ahd posted that last week.

I tried both approaches, though in reverse order - first I saw how I had arrived on my "goals" and said thats what mattered the most to me. I shoe-horned things that I was not able to show anywhere else in the essay an then sprinkled a dab of community service an left to bake - results - a crap cake

I then grappled with the topic for two days an changed my approach. I tried the unifying theory approach, and the essay is definately less crappier

Now I love most any kind of cake... but not crap cake. I have the reverse problem of you guys. I feel good about my what matters most essay, but now I am struggling to find a good, complementary 1 page essay to go with my other 3.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 14:23
you probably want to save at least 2 pages for the career goals essay... the Haas one is 1000 words and I barely made it under. I'll probably have 800 words for Stanford (2 pages double spaced 12 pt font).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Yep [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 07:01
That's what my issue is right now. I have three pages for the first essay and one page each for the last two. But the middle one is a little over three so I know that's where I need to cut down. Did you guys talk about career history (very briefly) in this essay at all?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 09:57
for the goals essay, only bring up important events during your career, and talk about why they're important. Don't go through the career history, not even a quick description! That will save you some words.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 10:38
kryzak wrote:
for the goals essay, only bring up important events during your career, and talk about why they're important. Don't go through the career history, not even a quick description! That will save you some words.

Agree with you fully. If you read the wordings of their goals essay then unlike the U-Chic an many other goals essay they arent specifically asking you to trace your career path

PS: Has anyone tried to experiment with font that are small. Please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 07:02
Hey folks, does stanford require only self-reporting of GMAT scores, then only after they ADMIT, then you send in the real scores? Or do they want the real scores right away before they review?

I thought it was only self-reported scored for all schools, but someone told me Stanford wants real scores first??

On the same note, does ANY school want real scores first?? I thought it was ALL self-reported!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 10:11
i don't think any of my schools (Stanford, UCLA, Haas) want the real scores just yet. But then again, I didn't read it carefully since I already sent them my scores when I took my test.
Manager
Manager

Font Selection [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 19:08
How y'all feeling about Arial Narrow... I'm having trouble condensing my Stanford essays to the suggested length and Arial Narrow is totally my savior at the moment. Maybe I can just include a magnifying glass with the application?!?

OK. I had to vent. Another weekend sacrificed to the B School apps! How crazy is 3 pages for Essay A, anyway?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 19:20
3 pages for Essay A is pretty crazy, especially since 2 years ago they get 10+ pages. I would not do anything that would make the adcom's lives miserable by having to pull out reading glasses. ;) Margins would probably be the way to go, along with a very minor tweak of the double spacing thing (1.8 spacing perhaps?). I think Times New Roman has a smaller font size at 12 pts than Arial...

I'm spending all of Sunday working on the "family" essay for UCLA. I think by writing it, it's helping me understand what i want to write about Essay A for Stanford. Or so I hope!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 09:28
Wow you guys are way ahead. After spending a week, I feel I have got the right stuff for essay 1 and essay 2. Now that content is taken care of, here comes the style problem :-) I will pen my first line tonight
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 10:39
kryzak wrote:
i don't think any of my schools (Stanford, UCLA, Haas) want the real scores just yet. But then again, I didn't read it carefully since I already sent them my scores when I took my test.

Hi can anyone who is applying to Stanford verify whether they require official GMAT and transcript right away? OR is self-reported ok for now?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 12:35
actually, I'm not sure what to write about for "what matters" yet. After completing my Family essay for UCLA, I didn't think it was as strong as I liked... so on to some other theme then!
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 12:44
I was so proud a month ago when I 'thought' I was done with the 1st draft.
Pulled it out a few days back and could'nt stand the smell. Wow - so back to my design board for #1 !
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 12:47
sniff! sniff!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 02:21
Hey Stan Ppl,

need advice on essay topic choice:

As of now my essays read as below:

Essay 1: Very personal/private........nothing to do with office
Essay 2: Very professional.....office related (obviously)
Essay 3: (mini essay - impact on a company) - again work related
Essay 4: (mini essay - challenging situation) - college ECA.

OK now the problem is that I have a very good alternate essay 4 - as a simple B. Tech (alebiet from a top college) I am a business manager in a division where I lead a 8 member team which has P. hD's and M.Tech ppl. I am the youngest/ least educated person in the team. Obviously when I came in, none of my team-members were too charmed by the situation, but I slowly won them over.

I know this is limited info. but can any of you tell me if I should re-write my essay 4 from this point of view. I personally feel that doing this will make my app too work related - my college strugles will not have an essay dedicated to them

Advise Please
Manager
Manager

Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 04:53
My essays 2,3,4 all have to do with work, though, my personal essay does touch on my undergraduate education.

Not to rework your app, but it sounds like the alternative work situation that you've outlined is a pretty compelling story about your leadership abilities, so it would be valuable to share.

I don't think including details about under grad education is that important b/c they've got your transcript, etc. Any other thoughts on this?
Essays   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2007, 04:53