Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 15:08
That is very true. Stern was the only school to have asked for an original transcript as part of the initial application itself, and getting that was pretty painful from India. Essay 3 and all the effort that goes behind is well acknowledged anyways. Moreover, Stern is one of the few schools which specifically ask what kind of effort did we make to learn more about the school, and if you are in the US, in turn implies that you have to visit the school.
The other reason I am feeling very low right now is because I was considering Stern as a relatively 'safe' school and being dinged without an interview sends very wrong signals. I am still trying to be optimistic and the next few weeks will be key...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
I understand that man. The harder you work, the worse it feels on a ding !

I worked for *months* on my columbia app. My interview was great, I was given high marks on everything and recommended strongly for admission, but then dinged. All said and done, I surmised my score of 720 and a vanilla non IIT background was to blame. And sad, masters from a top 10 univ. with a 3.7, my publications/patents still did not set me apart from the 'IT' pool (And I'm in semiconductors/hardware anyway, very, very different from a typical IT job)...

Stern is the only school I visited, and I paid $180 just for my transcripts to be attested at the NY embassy. They charge $10/document attesting, and I had 8 separate marksheets + 1 degree certificate, not a single transcript...
With all the Stern R1 dings I see in this thread, looks like I wasted some more effort and money (EDIT:) apping here in R2!

But hey ..keep your head up ... a lot more to come, and its all for good ...

Last edited by gmat_march on 29 Jan 2008, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 17:07
gmat_march, really scary post. It sounds like you have a very strong profile and enough to separate yourself from the notorious Indian IT demographic. Sorry to hear that you went through so much trouble with the transcripts to end up with the dreaded ding. Keep your head up though and hopefully something will work out. Where else did you apply?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 20:05
nyrberg wrote:
gmat_march, really scary post. It sounds like you have a very strong profile and enough to separate yourself from the notorious Indian IT demographic. Sorry to hear that you went through so much trouble with the transcripts to end up with the dreaded ding. Keep your head up though and hopefully something will work out. Where else did you apply?

Ooops ... I cam across a bit wrong .. I have apped. in Stern R2, I was ousting my frustration over my Columbia ding way early in the season ... vchhaochharia's post reminded me of that.
I am waitlisted at Cornell, was dinged at Ross & Columbia, and have app'ed to Duke & Stern in R2.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 20:30
Heads up vchhaochharia - I've had 2 dings without interview. The second one is considerably easier to digest :( There is no such thing as a "safe" school anymore. What are the other schools that youve applied to ?

vchhaochharia wrote:
That is very true. Stern was the only school to have asked for an original transcript as part of the initial application itself, and getting that was pretty painful from India. Essay 3 and all the effort that goes behind is well acknowledged anyways. Moreover, Stern is one of the few schools which specifically ask what kind of effort did we make to learn more about the school, and if you are in the US, in turn implies that you have to visit the school.
The other reason I am feeling very low right now is because I was considering Stern as a relatively 'safe' school and being dinged without an interview sends very wrong signals. I am still trying to be optimistic and the next few weeks will be key...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 05:37
The other schools I have applied to are HBS, Columbia, Chicago and Wharton
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:10
My fault gmat_march. I misread your post. Any idea when interview invites start being released for R2 Stern applicants?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 15:07
Thank you for applying to NYU Stern. You will receive an email from NYU Stern MBA Admissions within the next 7 - 10 business days confirming the receipt of your application and providing you with a password to our secure Application Status Check website. Please note that application receipts will not be emailed prior to the application deadline. This site will allow you to monitor the status of your application throughout the admissions process. This site is available 24 hours a day and reflects the current status of your application. You will be notified via email when your status has been updated. The site is continuously updated, but it may take up to 10 business days for information to be posted once we receive it, including your supplemental materials.

This is the confirmation mail that I got after submitting my application. It has been 12 business days but I still have not received the password for the status check. Anyone else got it?

http://delhirox.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 15:22
nupurgupt wrote:
Thank you for applying to NYU Stern. You will receive an email from NYU Stern MBA Admissions within the next 7 - 10 business days confirming the receipt of your application and providing you with a password to our secure Application Status Check website. Please note that application receipts will not be emailed prior to the application deadline. This site will allow you to monitor the status of your application throughout the admissions process. This site is available 24 hours a day and reflects the current status of your application. You will be notified via email when your status has been updated. The site is continuously updated, but it may take up to 10 business days for information to be posted once we receive it, including your supplemental materials.

This is the confirmation mail that I got after submitting my application. It has been 12 business days but I still have not received the password for the status check. Anyone else got it?

It took 17 days for the status change in my case. So, don't worry about it.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 15:22
nupurgupt wrote:

I applied on 1/6 and got the status check link/password on 1/10

http://applicant.stern.nyu.edu/statuscheck/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 15:47
Thanks guys!
I guess I'll contact them if I don't hear by end of next week.

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 16:26
I've got mine as well. Contact them next week if you dont receive it by Monday.

nupurgupt wrote:
Thanks guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 16:36
bsd_lover wrote:
I've got mine as well. Contact them next week if you dont receive it by Monday.

nupurgupt wrote:
Thanks guys!

Thanks! Will do

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 16:42
nupurgupt wrote:
Thanks guys!

I haven't received mine as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 04:45
pretty quiet here?

anyway, does anyone have any idea what are the chances if put on the waitlist for stern? how many do they usually put on the waitlist, and what % of waitlist ultimately enroll?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 05:20
I didn't recieve mine either. guess i'll have to shoot them an e-mail soon.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 05:55
Man NYU has some slack ad-com. Its been 3 weeks now and some people haven't even received a "complete" status, with their username and password. Chicago's been sending out interview decisions in 20 days....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 07:30
bsd_lover wrote:
Man NYU has some slack ad-com. Its been 3 weeks now and some people haven't even received a "complete" status, with their username and password. Chicago's been sending out interview decisions in 20 days....

lol.....true true
but they are really good when you visit
that's what sold me on applying
it was very well organized
and i especially liked how isser gallogly conducted everything

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 14:29
Got my app. complete/status check link/passwd today.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 14:58
Me too!!!

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2008, 14:58