Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 13:40
R1
faceman 740/3/5yrs @matric - Admitted
max125 720/(7.81/10)/3.25 yrs - WL without Interview
uvs_mba - WL without Interview
aceman626 WL without Interview
vchhaochharia 720/(9.4/10)/5 yrs - DWI
gz2nyc 710/2.x/5yr (09/2008) - DWI
pats 660/3.4 GPA/4.5 yrs exp
playoptions 690/3.7/2.5 yrs w/e
Texas_Dawg 730/3.0/6 yrs
wondee
caffine
caffine's hubby
jay02

R2
bsd_lover - submitted 1/15 Invited to Interview
ryguy904 - 680/3.8/5yrs@matr/White Boy - submitted 1/6 - WL without Interview
Ozmba - submitted 01/13
rajpdsouza - submitting 1/14 or 1/15
prospective mba - submitted 1/07
gmat_march - 720/3.66/3.5yrs@matr/Indian - submitted 1/15
Audio - submitted 1/15 2 hours before deadline...
Iwannabe - submitted 1/15
skoogle - 700/5 WE/Indian/Submitted Jan 14
nyrberg - 740/3.84/3yrs/white - submitted 1/15
nupurgupt - 700/3.67/2.5yrs/indian - submitted 01/15

Last edited by bsd_lover on 08 Feb 2008, 04:17, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 13:50
good luck bsd_lover!
let us know how it goes.
did you receive an email indicating that your application status changed? or did you receive a separate email from stern?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 13:58
Received a separate e-mail just today. I am visiting America in March so I'll try and schedule my interview then.

prospective mba wrote:
good luck bsd_lover!
let us know how it goes.
did you receive an email indicating that your application status changed? or did you receive a separate email from stern?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 14:52
BSD - Drop me a message when you pick your dates, and do the lunch program. I know folk who do that.

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:02
3underscore wrote:

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).


Thanks for this feedback. Given the increase in app volume, do expect waitlist conversion to be near impossible (i.e, extremely unlikely this year)? I'm trying to review my options in terms of flying out there to visit, etc.

Thanks-
RG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:09
BSD,
Congrats on the interview invite! That is great news, and hopefully you can arrange for it when you are in The States. That will be a hectic, yet fun, week or so! When I visited Stern, Isser Gallogly said that they encourage applicants to interview on campus if they are invited to do so and if they have the means to do so; they take this very seriously. Of course he qualified it by saying international applicants are an exception, so I would think that when an int'l applicant does interview on campus they look very favorably upon it.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:12
Thats exactly my line of thinking too. Suddenly the trip cost doesnt look half as bad. The benefits I will get out of it, both in terms of "goodwill" generated there and experiencing my main choice schools first hand will be immense and totally worth the effort.

djhouse81 wrote:
BSD,
Congrats on the interview invite! That is great news, and hopefully you can arrange for it when you are in The States. That will be a hectic, yet fun, week or so! When I visited Stern, Isser Gallogly said that they encourage applicants to interview on campus if they are invited to do so and if they have the means to do so; they take this very seriously. Of course he qualified it by saying international applicants are an exception, so I would think that when an int'l applicant does interview on campus they look very favorably upon it.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:17
3underscore, will definitely catch up with you when I am there. My date is decided. I'll be there on 5th of March (although I haven't scheduled it "officially" yet, and will do so later tonight).

To others, keep your heads up. Generally waitlisting so many could only mean that NYU are concerned about yield, hoping that in a month or so, only the really serious applicants will be still interested.

3underscore wrote:
BSD - Drop me a message when you pick your dates, and do the lunch program. I know folk who do that.

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:18
Hahahah .. I'll change my avatar to a scanned version of that plane ticket when I return :)

djhouse81 wrote:
I say hold on to that plane ticket stub, you might want to frame it.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:37
bsd_lover wrote:

To others, keep your heads up. Generally waitlisting so many could only mean that NYU are concerned about yield, hoping that in a month or so, only the really serious applicants will be still interested.



Maybe I'm still very green on this subject, but how would a waitlist impact yield?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:44
Well imagine if Stern was your 2nd or 3rd choice school and your profile was very strong. Stern would be interested, but on the other hand they would not be sure that you'd accept if they admitted you (which in turn would lower their yield). So what would they do ? they'd put you on waitlist. This way they can still keep you interested in case your 1st and 2nd choice schools didnt work out in a months time. However, if your 1st or 2nd choice worked out then you would just accept that and withdraw your Stern application, thus, Stern's would not have to face a rejection from a candidate and their yield would remain strong. I guess the moral of the story is: "no one likes being rejected.", especially b-schools.

ryguy904 wrote:
Maybe I'm still very green on this subject, but how would a waitlist impact yield?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:00
bsd_lover wrote:
3underscore, will definitely catch up with you when I am there. My date is decided. I'll be there on 5th of March (although I haven't scheduled it "officially" yet, and will do so later tonight).

To others, keep your heads up. Generally waitlisting so many could only mean that NYU are concerned about yield, hoping that in a month or so, only the really serious applicants will be still interested.

3underscore wrote:
BSD - Drop me a message when you pick your dates, and do the lunch program. I know folk who do that.

I don't know for a fact why they do the wait-list thing, but I have a feel for how it works. You lose either way - either you start hearing people who applied later getting invited to interview while you are "under review", or you get told straight away you are waiting. It is tricky and different schools operate different ways. I think they like to be on the level with people as soon as possible - you have lives to live, offers and other applications to think about, and some news is better than no news.

At Stern you will interview before you can get an admit. The interview percentage is reasonably low. They mentioned today that they have a very big upswing in applications this year, so I know they are trying to manage a pipeline. They don't like to make decisions purely on Stats (I know that for fact), so each application goes under review pretty fully (I expect).


Congrats for the interview!

BTW I will be in NYC from 1st to the 5th of march, maybe we could grab a beer somewhere...
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:06
You're on !!! .. I am there on the 5th definitely, I'll see you then.
kwam wrote:

Congrats for the interview!

BTW I will be in NYC from 1st to the 5th of march, maybe we could grab a beer somewhere...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Posts: 286
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:12
congrats bsd!!!!
you're doing really well this app season =)

i hope i get an interview invite also :wink:
_________________

http://delhirox.blogspot.com/

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:14
Thanks nupur, Yours cant be too far :) Good luck.

nupurgupt wrote:
congrats bsd!!!!
you're doing really well this app season =)

i hope i get an interview invite also :wink:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:35
bsd_lover wrote:
Well imagine if Stern was your 2nd or 3rd choice school and your profile was very strong. Stern would be interested, but on the other hand they would not be sure that you'd accept if they admitted you (which in turn would lower their yield). So what would they do ? they'd put you on waitlist. This way they can still keep you interested in case your 1st and 2nd choice schools didnt work out in a months time. However, if your 1st or 2nd choice worked out then you would just accept that and withdraw your Stern application, thus, Stern's would not have to face a rejection from a candidate and their yield would remain strong. I guess the moral of the story is: "no one likes being rejected.", especially b-schools.

ryguy904 wrote:
Maybe I'm still very green on this subject, but how would a waitlist impact yield?



Gotcha, thank you!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 170
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 19:04
Congrats bsd ... gsb, stern ..you are on a roll ! G luck with all the interviews ..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 19:33
bsd, would you mind sharing your profile?
i know it's virtually impossible to determine why schools respond so quickly to certain applicants and not to others, but i'd really like to figure it out.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 19:46
check pm
prospective mba wrote:
bsd, would you mind sharing your profile?
i know it's virtually impossible to determine why schools respond so quickly to certain applicants and not to others, but i'd really like to figure it out.

Last edited by bsd_lover on 06 Feb 2008, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 20:00
bsd_lover wrote:
check pm
prospective mba wrote:
bsd, would you mind sharing your profile?
i know it's virtually impossible to determine why schools respond so quickly to certain applicants and not to others, but i'd really like to figure it out.


i'm sorry, you mean private message?
i didn't receive any.
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2008, 20:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants Narenn 58 27 Dec 2013, 02:04
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Part-Time Class of 2017: Calling all applicants! souvik101990 89 21 Apr 2013, 09:12
105 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! souvik101990 612 21 Apr 2013, 09:10
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants highwyre237 784 15 Jun 2012, 06:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.