Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 00:34
Maybe they just release everything after deadline date....based on order of applications received

Anyways its November 15... about 50 days left.. I will sleep, snore, day dream and sleep a bit more before I touch NYU.

And then eat turkey and sleep more
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 04:24
lanter1 wrote:
I got to meet a Stern adcom on Tuesday at the world tour in ATL. She emphasized finding out as much as possible about Stern. She even said to specifically refer to our conversation in the essay. I got the impression that they want people who want to attend Stern (bring up the yield) as first choice. I am glad I got to visit.

When I spoke with the adcom I got the same response. They wanted to know about fit and they wanted specifics. They wanted to know the who, what, when, where and why of the people you interacted with at Stern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 20:05
I will be visiting on Tuesday, October 2nd. I love using vacation days for non-vacation purposes. Will anyone be there that day? Bueller?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 00:52
Are we required to answer the different parts of a question separately or can it be a combined essay where we cover all the questions asked?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 00:58
It will be Avi Bueller's day off, but I will be sneaking around in LA. I will do a NYU visit after submitting the application before school closes for Thanksgiving.

Abhishek - you can answer all the questions in any order or combined as long as you answer them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 17:08
Just visited, and I got some interesting information regarding the NYU rolling admission debate. I was told by admissions that you can receive an invite to interview at any point after the november 15th deadline. After you interview, you will hear in no more than 2-3 weeks whether you got in or not. If you are not asked to interview, you will hear as late as the notification date whether you are WL or dinged. If you submit your app before the deadline, they might start processing and reviewing it before the deadline. Not that you should try and submit as early as possible like Columbia, but if you are ready then pull the trigger because it might get your app going through the hoops sooner than the other apps.

Since my app is pretty much complete, I am going to send it sooner than I had originally planned.

Other than that, great visit! I highly recommend the coffee break with a first-year student. Very personable!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 18:26
dj, that's the story I heard about the "rolling" admissions too. Thanks for confirming!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 03:03
NYU's vague rule of attesting transcripts from your home consulates is single handedly going tp push my application process to R2

I have to go to SF to te Indian consulate to get my transcripts verified.. waht a hoax..

and knowing how the consulate works.. I have no hopes of a quick turn around
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 08:55
I love NYU and I'm planning to apply for M.Sc. in RE (School of Continuing and Professional Studies).

Good deadline (March 15), rolling basis.

They responded impressively quick to my questions. Here is one of they answers:

Quote:
"For the 2006-2007 academic year, we accepted
about 70% of the applicants to the MS in Real Estate. The acceptance rate
tends to be high for this program because the applicants are self-selecting.
By this, I mean that the applicants tend to do a great deal of research on
the program and the admission criteria before applying. For this reason, we
receive more applications from qualified candidates. Additionally, this
program does not weigh applications against each other. If an applicant is
qualified for admission, he/she will be admitted. If the program fills,
applications received thereafter are considered for the next term."
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 09:04
aviroop wrote:
I have to go to SF to te Indian consulate to get my transcripts verified.. waht a hoax..

and knowing how the consulate works.. I have no hopes of a quick turn around

avi, I have been to the SF consulate many times and every single time, I have been able to get what I want within 1 business day. Just go with the all the required documents and you should be done quickly.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 09:34
NC..I will take your word for it.. ok so a day trip to SF.. and if u r free ..perhaps some dinner
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 10:22
Hey Avi, let me set up a "welcoming party thread" for you ;)

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/p378260#378260
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 12:23
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
The bar is the best place to be if you are aiming for that 810! haha!

Heh - I should have clarified. I am at Stern - MBA1. Hopefully I will be on the torch committee, which means I will get to take prospectives for lunch, to class and - if they are lucky and i/v on a thursday - beer blast.

I cannot emphasise enough how much better it is to get to visit schools on thursdays. That's when you can see whether the fit is there. After a few beers, the guard is down from everyone.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 15:20
3underscore wrote:
Heh - I should have clarified. I am at Stern - MBA1. Hopefully I will be on the torch committee, which means I will get to take prospectives for lunch, to class and - if they are lucky and i/v on a thursday - beer blast.

I cannot emphasise enough how much better it is to get to visit schools on thursdays. That's when you can see whether the fit is there. After a few beers, the guard is down from everyone.

Thanks 3under --I will def. make sure i attend one of the TNDC! sessions
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 05:38
I'll be doing a class visit tomorrow. Any tips? Thanks . . .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 14:16
kidderek wrote:

Kid,

Just saw your post, and I visited Stern on the 2nd. For the class visit, you will probalby be put into a group with other prospectives and an MBA2 will pick you up at the admissions office. I made a point to sit with my MBA2, while the other students did not. He was really cool, and gave some great information--some of which will make it into my essays. Stern seemed to give a lot of opportunities to talk to students (class visit with MBA2, coffee break with MBA1, tour with MBA2), so just take advantage of all the student interaction because they are the most honest when it comes down to it.

Finally, Isser Gallogly, the head of admissions, joined the campus tour. Of course, after the tour everyone bombarded him with questions. I hung back, talked to the MBA2 tour guide, and then started talking with him after everyone had left. It was more a conversation, which, to me, is better than a laundry list of questions. If he is on the tour, make sure you get that face time with him.

Good luck
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 16:54
djhouse81 wrote:
kidderek wrote:

Kid,

Just saw your post, and I visited Stern on the 2nd. For the class visit, you will probalby be put into a group with other prospectives and an MBA2 will pick you up at the admissions office. I made a point to sit with my MBA2, while the other students did not. He was really cool, and gave some great information--some of which will make it into my essays. Stern seemed to give a lot of opportunities to talk to students (class visit with MBA2, coffee break with MBA1, tour with MBA2), so just take advantage of all the student interaction because they are the most honest when it comes down to it.

Finally, Isser Gallogly, the head of admissions, joined the campus tour. Of course, after the tour everyone bombarded him with questions. I hung back, talked to the MBA2 tour guide, and then started talking with him after everyone had left. It was more a conversation, which, to me, is better than a laundry list of questions. If he is on the tour, make sure you get that face time with him.

Good luck

djhouse81,

Good stuff man. Just a quick question. When is lunch? Do I need to eat before I get there?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 20:34
kidderek wrote:
djhouse81,

Good stuff man. Just a quick question. When is lunch? Do I need to eat before I get there?

That's a great question because I encountered that problem. There is no lunch, so definitely eat before you get there.

I went to Stern on a Tuesday as well, and the night before went to a bar in the city with come friends to watch MNF and eat some buffalo wings. The wings were awful, so I did not feel like eating before I went to Stern. Bad idea. I was so hungry during class. I inhaled a muffin after class, and that held me over. Moral of the story: eat lunch before your day at Stern.

Last edited by djhouse81 on 16 Oct 2007, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 02:44
How are you guys getting these ppl to talk to you? I have emailed at least 3 people from different clubs with some questions a week ago and I never heard anything back:( Is it just me or you too? I was in NY last month and could only do a info session as the class visit option was not available.... should I just email my questions directly to the associate director of admissions....hahah and tell her how bad the students are that they can't respond to an email?? I know they are busy with school, but I'm busy too, managing work with apps and 5 hour sleep:(

What are you guys doing with the 2nd essay? No one from Stern is writing back, what should I write about the community and my experience?:'(
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 04:36
uvs_mba wrote:
How are you guys getting these ppl to talk to you? I have emailed at least 3 people from different clubs with some questions a week ago and I never heard anything back:( Is it just me or you too? I was in NY last month and could only do a info session as the class visit option was not available.... should I just email my questions directly to the associate director of admissions....hahah and tell her how bad the students are that they can't respond to an email?? I know they are busy with school, but I'm busy too, managing work with apps and 5 hour sleep:(

What are you guys doing with the 2nd essay? No one from Stern is writing back, what should I write about the community and my experience?:'(

Wow, long time no post uvs_mba.

I am having a difficult time with the 2nd essay as well. Not sure exactly what to do. I did have dinner with a second year (friend of a friend). But he's studying abroad this semester and nowhere to be found. I might have to leverage my visit for some business cards.

I'm sure it's difficult for you, but maybe you should do an actual class visit? That might help
  [#permalink] 16 Oct 2007, 04:36