Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 12:06
Unreal. It's not over for you with NYU, just keep your spirits up. Either way, I hope Chicago comes through for you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 12:08
Sorry to hear that bsd. Good luck with Chicago.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 12:09
Thanks dj, iwannabe ... ah well , I gave it my best.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 13:10
grrrr......sorry to hear this BSD. What's up with them throwing out WL like it's no big deal, especially those that they invite to the city!!....I hope Chi comes through for you.

Just curious, did you show NYU your love? Did you hammer home NYU is your top choice and all that? Do they ask what other schools you are applying to or anything like that in the interview (I know they do in the app, if I recall correctly)?

All the best-

bsd_lover wrote:
Status update - I just got a status update e-mail. I am on waitlist after interview.

R1
faceman 740/3/5yrs @matric - Admitted
max125 720/(7.81/10)/3.25 yrs - WL without Interview
uvs_mba - WL without Interview
aceman626 WL without Interview
vchhaochharia 720/(9.4/10)/5 yrs - DWI
gz2nyc 710/2.x/5yr (09/2008) - DWI
pats 660/3.4 GPA/4.5 yrs exp
playoptions 690/3.7/2.5 yrs w/e
Texas_Dawg 730/3.0/6 yrs
wondee
caffine
caffine's hubby
jay02

R2
jsnooky33 - 690/3.66/2yrs - Admitted
foxtrot - 720/ M /Indian IT/ MS in CS with 3.8 GPA from top US univ/5 WE/29 years old - Admitted
Audio - submitted 1/15 2 hours before deadline... - Interview Invite
bsd_lover - submitted 1/15 - WL with Interview
ryguy904 - 680/3.8/5yrs@matr/White Boy - submitted 1/6 - WL without Interview
nyrberg - 740/3.84/3yrs/white - submitted 1/15 - WL without Interview
nupurgupt - 700/3.67/2.5yrs/indian - submitted 01/15 - DWI
gmat_march - 720/3.66/3.5yrs@matr/Indian - submitted 1/15 - DWI
rajpdsouza - submitting 1/14 or 1/15 - DWI
prospective mba - submitted 1/07 - DWI
hotdog - submitted 1/14 - DWI
Ozmba - submitted 01/13
Iwannabe - submitted 1/15
skoogle - 700/5 WE/Indian/Submitted Jan 14
DeK - 680/submitted 15/1 / 6WE / Indian abroad

R3
navy01 - submitted 12/03
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 13:13
bsd_lover wrote:
Thanks dj, iwannabe ... ah well , I gave it my best.

tough luck dude..I was hoping that you will post your admit news.
Lets pray that we get into Chicago!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 13:38
hi bsd_lover:

Dont give up hope. Show NYU some more love. Send them an extra recommendation letter and talk to your interviewer what else you can do. I am sure you will come out of the list. I have heard it moves a lot.

Good luck!
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 13:55
I believe I showed them enough love. Cooped up in a North Western Boeing 747 for 22 hours each way and spending 3 grand just to be there *should* be enough proof of my love. I thought the interview went pretty well too (better than my GSB interview).

As an international applicant, I have to make plans well in advance in terms of Visa / accommodation / selling my stuff over here. Not to mention, NYU does NOT co-sign loans for internationals. So I had to demonstrate that I had enough money to cover at least first year. I still have to arrange for financing for year two, which I can't until I get an admit.

So all in all, NYU has been rather inconsiderate so far.

update - To answer your question rguy - My interviewer asked me whether I had applied to other schools. I said something along the lines of : While I have applied to other schools, Stern is the perfect school for me. I went on the describe everything that makes Stern a good fit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 14:06
Am retiring my application from Stern, since I got a positive answer from Chicago.

Couple of things though: the Stern Adcom seems very friendly and available, but waiting more than 2 months for an interview decision is not only too long but also non-competitive in comparison with the other financial powerhouses (Wharton and Chicago to mention only them).

Plus, the fact that there is no possibility for an interview in Europe in R2 makes it harder - but I guess that's a motivation test.

Anyway, good luck to all the people expecting answers! Hope they'll get in soon and that they will be positive...
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 14:31
bsd_lover wrote:
I believe I showed them enough love. Cooped up in a North Western Boeing 747 for 22 hours each way and spending 3 grand just to be there *should* be enough proof of my love. I thought the interview went pretty well too (better than my GSB interview).

As an international applicant, I have to make plans well in advance in terms of Visa / accommodation / selling my stuff over here. Not to mention, NYU does NOT co-sign loans for internationals. So I had to demonstrate that I had enough money to cover at least first year. I still have to arrange for financing for year two, which I can't until I get an admit.

So all in all, NYU has been rather inconsiderate so far.

update - To answer your question rguy - My interviewer asked me whether I had applied to other schools. I said something along the lines of : While I have applied to other schools, Stern is the perfect school for me. I went on the describe everything that makes Stern a good fit.


I agree with you. Plus I don't think that anybody should be forced to engage so many costs for the sake of an interview.

All in all, pretty harsh IMO.
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 14:35
Audio wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
I believe I showed them enough love. Cooped up in a North Western Boeing 747 for 22 hours each way and spending 3 grand just to be there *should* be enough proof of my love. I thought the interview went pretty well too (better than my GSB interview).

As an international applicant, I have to make plans well in advance in terms of Visa / accommodation / selling my stuff over here. Not to mention, NYU does NOT co-sign loans for internationals. So I had to demonstrate that I had enough money to cover at least first year. I still have to arrange for financing for year two, which I can't until I get an admit.

So all in all, NYU has been rather inconsiderate so far.

update - To answer your question rguy - My interviewer asked me whether I had applied to other schools. I said something along the lines of : While I have applied to other schools, Stern is the perfect school for me. I went on the describe everything that makes Stern a good fit.


I agree with you. Plus I don't think that anybody should be forced to engage so many costs for the sake of an interview.

All in all, pretty harsh IMO.



I second Audio's comments. They are just downright brutal (and selfish).
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 14:45
bsd, I'm really sorry for that WL, but keep the head up, I think that if everything goes right tomorrow you won't care! :)
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 15:08
Thanks kwam, you are right, I probably wont, but, I'm extremely worried. My Chicago and NYU apps were VERY similar in nature. If NYU weren't 100% with it , then I doubt Chicago will be either ...

kwam wrote:
bsd, I'm really sorry for that WL, but keep the head up, I think that if everything goes right tomorrow you won't care! :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 15:14
bsd - I am sure your app was strong which is why they called you for an interview. Every school has their own way of selecting admits. I am sure you will get accepted at Chicago. Hang in there. I also think you should work with your Stern interviewer and ask her how you can get "off" the WL. I remember my interview said she would represent me in the AdCom meetings so I guess he/she should be on your side.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 16:59
I totally sympathize with you dude. You did a lot of lovin' for NYU.

But your result at NYU bears no reflection on your chances at Chicago. We talked about this earlier, one school's trash is another school's treasure. I truly hope you get in.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 146
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2008, 17:42
aww, bsd.. i'm sorry to hear that. They shouldn't do that to you! Especially after what you have done for them!! But at least it's not a ding.. really hope the best for you!
_________________

http://missmba.blogspot.com/

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 18:00
Hadn't checked in in awhile.

For the list, I was waitlisted in early March after an interview.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Posts: 64
Location: Provo, UT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 18:11
I've been reading this post thread for awhile and want to let everyone know that I applied R3. While I am not terribly confident in my chances, I would love to live the NY life.

Anyone want to throw out any estimates of when I will hear something back from Stern? I turned in my application on March 15.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 346
Location: Newport, RI
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 04:16
I submitted March 13 so based on the other experiences I expect to hear something back May 29th (since June 1st is their notification deadline). They don't seem to be in a rush to get you through the process.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 09:20
To give you two an idea, I applied on Jan 15th (Round 2) and still haven't heard a word. That's 2.5 months. Well, tomorrow's April Fools Day and the deadline for initial notification.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 346
Location: Newport, RI
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 10:14
Yeah, I'm expecting any word from NYU much more than two weeks before the notification deadline.
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2008, 10:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants Narenn 58 27 Dec 2013, 02:04
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Part-Time Class of 2017: Calling all applicants! souvik101990 89 21 Apr 2013, 09:12
106 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! souvik101990 613 21 Apr 2013, 09:10
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants highwyre237 784 15 Jun 2012, 06:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.