Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:54

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 17:15
Maverick

I think the two schools are quite different. I could see how I would enjoy being at Columbia (I think it appeals to most people's academic mindset) but am at Stern, where I immediately felt like I fit in. I don't think it is quite true, but I think the number of people to be admitted to both having applied to both is not a very large proportion. I think they pitch themselves very differently and what appeals to one doesn't necessarily appeal to the other.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 03:23
underscore, would you mind giving some examples?
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
I find Stern puts a lot of work on getting a crowd together that will gel well - it is aware of its finance background but it pushing into entertainment, luxury retail and a few oddball things. While entrepreneurial paths are there, they are clearly emphasized more at Columbia. I think for the more free spirited things Stern has strength - possibly from the fact that Columbia has a very strong path and history that gives it some access to things Stern may not (Investment Mgmt is the one I think is probably easier there).

I think merely by the location and style of school that Stern does immediately fit well with its down to earth objective. Columbia is a little village and an ivy, and it won't shake those things off (why should it?!) - it gives a different atmosphere on campus and around the actual school. It is a simple function of the schools strength and style of people they attract that adapts the environment.

The Columbia kids I know seem to make a bigger deal about the academics. I am not sure it is very much different, they suggest they have a lot more work, but I think a lot of it is the attitude and style that the school appeals to. I do really like Columbia's new case program they are working on (incomplete cases to reflect the real world) but that really matters little now - the speed they will be able to bring that in is way too slow to affect any of us.

They probably think we are drunk all the time. To be fair on an assessment of last week, that wasn't far off the mark.

Columbia also see nothing wrong with fielding a load of med school ringers in their Rugby team to help them beat Stern in the Gotham Cup. And even if that isn't true, that is my story and I am going to run with it.

I think anyone could flourish at both, but I just felt the fit was better for me personally at Stern, whereas academically I may well have preferred Columbia. Obviously in all cases of business schools you are arguing on the final 10/20% where the difference is made - the underlying is pretty much identical.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 11:30
3underscore,

Thanks for the info! I have a question about housing. Where do most MBA students live? Do you have any experience with or knowledge of Palladium Hall? The website says that 170 MBA students live there on the top 4 floors. I am just curious if it is a good alternative to getting an apt in the city. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
I know a lot of people who live there, and they always on top of where the drinks are each night because of the concentration.

If you are from overseas it is a strong buy - NYC real estate sucks, and if you have no guarantor or credit (which applies to overseas) you will find renting an apartment will cost you a years rent in advance. Which is a sting.

Otherwise, the rooms are small (it is a dorm), your bed is small and any guests have to be signed in to the building. Which can be a bit of bad news in some circumstances.

In the final year by taking on roles in the halls you can get a big rent discount, but there are only a few positions and I think they are strongly contested (ie - don't bank on it).

As for where people live - everywhere. Families out in Jersey City / Hoboken, some in Park Slope (Brooklyn), a fair number in the East & West Villages, SoHo, Nolita, Tribeca, Midtown - anywhere. Mass Transit is your friend as the spread of people's living arrangements hardy matter. Except for themselves, when they have to get home.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 20:46
Hahahah !! :twisted:
3underscore wrote:
any guests have to be signed in to the building. Which can be a bit of bad news in some circumstances.

My interviewer also recommended Palladium. Costs were appx $1600 pm for studios and $1300 pm for shared rooms (don't quote me on these prices - they're rough estimates). Seems like a pretty good deal especially since I'd anticipate plenty of social activity when you live around all these students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 03:40
I think NYU has a lot of living options since the subway from the UWS and UES both pass NYU correct? My friends said look for living along subway lines so you don't need to cross over town or take a super long route.

Any new updates out there?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 03:02
ttt
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 05:53
I hate being a R3 applicant. While everyone else has a decision, I sit waiting for my application to go under review while posting messages between me, myself and I. hump.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 06:08
navy01 wrote:
I think NYU has a lot of living options since the subway from the UWS and UES both pass NYU correct? My friends said look for living along subway lines so you don't need to cross over town or take a super long route.

Any new updates out there?

Not just UES or UWS. A lot of NYU people live in East or West Village or downtown. If you are in the East Village, there are NYU buses every 10-15 mins. I would know. I see those buses every morning when I'm walking to the subway. I'm guessing there are similar buses in WV. If I were going to Stern, I would definitely stay in EV.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 07:02
I think the Trolley's run from the halls, so are more Union Sq - Washington Square.

That said, if you need a bus to get you from the east village to NYU, you are really lazy. I can hardly believe they run a bus for a ten block walk.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 10:34
Navy01,

I'm with you. However, I haven't put as much thought into NYU as I have some of the others because I am a long shot and I knew it would take some time. But my internal clock is telling me that NYU should be ringing sooner than later.

If you don't get an interview, do they leave you hanging until the very end?

jfals
http://www.jaredmalan.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 10:55
A lot of people were hung out to the end in R2 and R1. I'm hoping that since they have seen the entire applicant pool already, they won't take that long. Plus I "hope" that a lot of people on the WL or pending admission status who have decided to matriculate somewhere else have contacted the school and withdrew their application rather than just hang around to see if they would have gotten in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 03:36
FYI...someone on the businessweek forum said WL started moving May 5th last year.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 14:56
That would make sense as the payments were due on April 30th last year (and I think it was the same this year).

I am a graduate ambassador within admissions next year. I may have to be less full of opinion on the similar thread as a result. The upside will be that I will be very in touch with the admissions process. It should be very interesting, and I am excited to be in a position to help applicants through the process.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 19:16
3under many congratulations on this new role. I know you've been pretty active in the student community at NYU and thoroughly deserve leadership roles there.

One question - when are payments due for people admitted from waitlist ?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 08:36
Couldn't tell you. I guess they give a couple of weeks or something, but that is a guess.

Thanks - I am looking forward to it. I will definitely see a lot of 2011 candidates, which should be a lot of fun. Though will make me feel very old.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 08:29
congrats, underscore..
I am sure you will have fun guiding the 2011 candidates..btw, any idea if the WL actually started moving?
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 08:34
max125 wrote:
...btw, any idea if the WL actually started moving?

Nothing here....I sent in some additional materials recently (love letter, additional rec) hoping to get some attention :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 04:15
ryguy904 wrote:
max125 wrote:
...btw, any idea if the WL actually started moving?

Nothing here....I sent in some additional materials recently (love letter, additional rec) hoping to get some attention :)

Any love yet??
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants   [#permalink] 13 May 2008, 04:15