Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 04:57
Yeah, aweee you remember me:) I actually relocated to Europe last November for work, so was kinda busy settling in the new environment.... its so different from US:( Unfortunately I can't even do a class visit anymore before the first round, as I was only in NY for a week last month and was lucky to do an information session. I even asked one of the admission ambassadors if I could do a class visit and she said no, its not possible, it can only happen once they are available in October.... seriously if I were a student, I would have taken a prospective with me to my class even if the visits were not officially available.....

Where is ur friend? Do you know anyone in Europe, a Stern Alumni or student? I'd love to meet that person for lunch or dinner, usually people wanna take me out for dinner, but I'll take that person out and even pay for his or her dinner...hehe! but I just want to hear her/him talk about NYU:)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 05:43
uvs_mba wrote:
Yeah, aweee you remember me:) I actually relocated to Europe last November for work, so was kinda busy settling in the new environment.... its so different from US:( Unfortunately I can't even do a class visit anymore before the first round, as I was only in NY for a week last month and was lucky to do an information session. I even asked one of the admission ambassadors if I could do a class visit and she said no, its not possible, it can only happen once they are available in October.... seriously if I were a student, I would have taken a prospective with me to my class even if the visits were not officially available.....

Where is ur friend? Do you know anyone in Europe, a Stern Alumni or student? I'd love to meet that person for lunch or dinner, usually people wanna take me out for dinner, but I'll take that person out and even pay for his or her dinner...hehe! but I just want to hear her/him talk about NYU:)

I believe he is in Venice. He hasn't even responded to any of my nor my friend's emails! So, no luck there. Perhaps you can contact NYU and ask them to introduce you to some alumni in your area?

Good luck, I'll write a quick debrief of my visit today.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 07:37
uvs_mba wrote:
How are you guys getting these ppl to talk to you? I have emailed at least 3 people from different clubs with some questions a week ago and I never heard anything back:( Is it just me or you too? I was in NY last month and could only do a info session as the class visit option was not available.... should I just email my questions directly to the associate director of admissions....hahah and tell her how bad the students are that they can't respond to an email?? I know they are busy with school, but I'm busy too, managing work with apps and 5 hour sleep:(

What are you guys doing with the 2nd essay? No one from Stern is writing back, what should I write about the community and my experience?:'(

Did you try emailing the the general email for the Graduate Ambassadors? I gave that a shot and within a day I got a friendly reply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 09:29
Thanks so much djhouse and kiddreck.... this is exactly what i missed about this forum as people are always trying to help each other and I know that I am not alone in this race.....
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 14:58
uvs_mba,

If you haven't located it, contact mbaga@stern.nyu.com they'll direct you to the right person.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 15:42
Thanks kidderek, I followed your advice on asking the admissions office if they could get me in touch with an Alumni, but they were a bit iffy about it and said that this is reserved for current students... but they directed me to the GAs and I have emailed them with my questions and the girl tried to answer some of em, so I am a bit happy now:)

How was your class visit btw? Anything interesting? I will look forward to your debrief.....
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 05:40
uvs_mba wrote:
How was your class visit btw? Anything interesting? I will look forward to your debrief.....

NYU - just some mental notes

1pm - I arrived at the admissions office, where all of the prospectives were waiting around. There were at least 20 of us.

130p - Class starts. Class started with some discussion about current business news. Then it moved on to game theory. I thought the material was pretty fun. Nothing flew over my head. One student fell asleep, woke up then began eating lunch, which appeared to be two burritos. The two students beside me both had iphones. Maybe it was the lull of the lunchtime hour, but many students appeared lethargic. There was one student who could not understand the concept of a zero sum game. I'm going to use a poker analogy here: He kept wanting to go to the next step to try to calculate pot odds, when all we're talking about is winning or losing.

3pm - Class ends and we meet at the first floor cafe (free large coffee for visitors; no lunch? argh, good thing I ate before thanks to djhouse81's advice) for some chatting with first years. Rather than crowding around for a first year's attention, I received one on one attention from johnnyx9 himself. I know I'm short, but damnnnn johnnyx9 is tall. Johnnyx9, if your consulting plans fall through, try out for the Knicks. They can certainly use you. Also, thanks for your tips on the application strategy. I'll be sure to use some of it.

4pm - We went around the group with a short introduction. Some people sounded really, for lack of a better word, douchey. We then went on a tour of the various rooms (clubs, career development, meeting rooms, reading rooms etc). I can't say I loved the building. Everything is vertical, giving it an office feel rather than a school feel. But what else can you expect from an NYC school?

430p - We were shown a powerpoint presentation. It was pretty useless material if you've been on their website. The meat of the presentation is when the second years fielded questions. One of the second years turned down Kellogg to go to Stern (questionable?), but she wanted to be in NYC. She secured a full time marketing position with AMEX. Another had a position at Goldman. Another one had 5 internship offers, the most by anyone in her class.

Overall impression:
I'm a cynic, so I'll preface this by saying that Stern may have placed their most successful students as tour guides. But all of the second years I spoke with not only did their summer internship at some major firms, but also secured a full time offer. It was beaten into my head that if finance is what you want, Stern is second to none. The placement record of the function that I want to get into was amazing.

I spoke with the president of the S&T club. I busted on him about losing to Columbia in the first round of the Fast Money Challenge and he laughed it off. He was pretty helpful about specific steps I can take now to be in a more advantageous position for recruiting.

Some discussion was had about the third essay. The second years mentioned that over 50% of the applicants wrote plain essays, so don't be too compelled to do something artistic. One second year mentioned she created a passport with her experiences in it.

When I left Cornell, I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't thrilled. It was pretty much what I expected. After my Stern visit, I wasn't blown away but I left with a stronger desire to attend Stern than before.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 08:03
kidderek wrote:

NYU - just some mental notes

1pm - I arrived at the admissions office, where all of the prospectives were waiting around. There were at least 20 of us.

130p - Class starts. Class started with some discussion about current business news. Then it moved on to game theory. I thought the material was pretty fun. Nothing flew over my head. One student fell asleep, woke up then began eating lunch, which appeared to be two burritos. The two students beside me both had iphones. Maybe it was the lull of the lunchtime hour, but many students appeared lethargic. There was one student who could not understand the concept of a zero sum game. I'm going to use a poker analogy here: He kept wanting to go to the next step to try to calculate pot odds, when all we're talking about is winning or losing.

3pm - Class ends and we meet at the first floor cafe (free large coffee for visitors; no lunch? argh, good thing I ate before thanks to djhouse81's advice) for some chatting with first years. Rather than crowding around for a first year's attention, I received one on one attention from johnnyx9 himself. I know I'm short, but damnnnn johnnyx9 is tall. Johnnyx9, if your consulting plans fall through, try out for the Knicks. They can certainly use you. Also, thanks for your tips on the application strategy. I'll be sure to use some of it.

4pm - We went around the group with a short introduction. Some people sounded really, for lack of a better word, douchey. We then went on a tour of the various rooms (clubs, career development, meeting rooms, reading rooms etc). I can't say I loved the building. Everything is vertical, giving it an office feel rather than a school feel. But what else can you expect from an NYC school?

430p - We were shown a powerpoint presentation. It was pretty useless material if you've been on their website. The meat of the presentation is when the second years fielded questions. One of the second years turned down Kellogg to go to Stern (questionable?), but she wanted to be in NYC. She secured a full time marketing position with AMEX. Another had a position at Goldman. Another one had 5 internship offers, the most by anyone in her class.

Overall impression:
I'm a cynic, so I'll preface this by saying that Stern may have placed their most successful students as tour guides. But all of the second years I spoke with not only did their summer internship at some major firms, but also secured a full time offer. It was beaten into my head that if finance is what you want, Stern is second to none. The placement record of the function that I want to get into was amazing.

I spoke with the president of the S&T club. I busted on him about losing to Columbia in the first round of the Fast Money Challenge and he laughed it off. He was pretty helpful about specific steps I can take now to be in a more advantageous position for recruiting.

Some discussion was had about the third essay. The second years mentioned that over 50% of the applicants wrote plain essays, so don't be too compelled to do something artistic. One second year mentioned she created a passport with her experiences in it.

When I left Cornell, I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't thrilled. It was pretty much what I expected. After my Stern visit, I wasn't blown away but I left with a stronger desire to attend Stern than before.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kidderek, this is very solid information:) Oh man you attended the game theory class by brandenburger? did you like it? I was looking at the description for that class and I've heard its really popular...... I hope it was nice...

Yeah now I am just gonna think of something for the 3rd essay and for the 2nd one, just talk about how my visit was etc...

For the 1st essay, are you planning on refering some school details as well as to why NYU and how NYU is going to prepare you?? Maybe a little.. Because I see essay number 2 is the place to mention that more specifically.....
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 08:12
uvs_mba wrote:
Thanks Kidderek, this is very solid information:) Oh man you attended the game theory class by brandenburger? did you like it? I was looking at the description for that class and I've heard its really popular...... I hope it was nice...

Yeah now I am just gonna think of something for the 3rd essay and for the 2nd one, just talk about how my visit was etc...

For the 1st essay, are you planning on refering some school details as well as to why NYU and how NYU is going to prepare you?? Maybe a little.. Because I see essay number 2 is the place to mention that more specifically.....

NONONO
I went to firms and markets. It was just an intro to game theory. Pretty simple stuff.

I think I will reference some stuff from my visit to essay 1 since most of the content of my discussions with the 2nd years was career based.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2007, 10:25
Thanks kidderek, same to u:)
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 08:54
Ah, Kidderek, you met Brian? He is a great guy.

As for the tour people, I think they pick people who are likable more than anything, and want to do it. Most the club officers won't because that eats huge amounts of your time.

I dunno - maybe I will be doing that next year, we'll see. As for Kellogg vs Stern, to me it is comparing two completely different schools. Stern has its peer group in style, objectives and all else - I have never heard anyone even contemplate comparing the school to Kellogg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 08:02
Hey folks, i'm applying to NYU. I know an alum pretty well, and he's willing to write a rec on my behalf. However, we don't really have any relations, like we're not in an organization or anything. Can I still use him as a recommender?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 14:22
No,
Dont use him as a recommender. You wont get any value out of it. This has been discussed in previous threads.

Use ur friend to give a support letter or to notify NYU that you are a strong applicant.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 14:22
aceman626 wrote:
Hey folks, i'm applying to NYU. I know an alum pretty well, and he's willing to write a rec on my behalf. However, we don't really have any relations, like we're not in an organization or anything. Can I still use him as a recommender?

I would use him as a third recommendation, but what exactly is your relationship? Unless it's professional, he might be able to speak to your character in which case it probably wouldn't carry much weight. But it's worth a shot as a 3rd recommendation.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2007, 15:32
3underscore wrote:
Ah, Kidderek, you met Brian? He is a great guy.

As for the tour people, I think they pick people who are likable more than anything, and want to do it. Most the club officers won't because that eats huge amounts of your time.

I dunno - maybe I will be doing that next year, we'll see. As for Kellogg vs Stern, to me it is comparing two completely different schools. Stern has its peer group in style, objectives and all else - I have never heard anyone even contemplate comparing the school to Kellogg.

Yea, I wasn't sure if I should start my conversation with Brian by ribbing him about losing to Col. but he just laughed it off.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Other schools applyin to [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 19:12
I think NYU is the only school which openly asked what other schools we are applying to. Any views on whether we should specify all the schools we are applying to as well as the pros and cons of each approach.
Thx
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 03:07
Hello all,

I am joining the Stern bandwagon. I quite like the looks of it and am confident I can produce the essays by mid next month. I am a bit disappointed that the decision dates are actually so late.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Other schools applyin to [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 10:27
vchhaochharia wrote:
I think NYU is the only school which openly asked what other schools we are applying to. Any views on whether we should specify all the schools we are applying to as well as the pros and cons of each approach.
Thx

I would put the schools that make sense in there. I can't remember what I put, but it just shows your awareness of what NYU offers. I have said it elsewhere that putting "Kellogg" next to NYU might raise some eyebrows, whereas saying Wharton won't so much.

Not that I think it matters that much though.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 10:30
bsd_lover wrote:
I am a bit disappointed that the decision dates are actually so late.

How so?

The Stern process is a little different, as you are probably aware. If you are called for interview you will get the outcome within three weeks. The dates are more indicative I think.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 10:32
3underscore wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
I am a bit disappointed that the decision dates are actually so late.

How so?

The Stern process is a little different, as you are probably aware. If you are called for interview you will get the outcome within three weeks. The dates are more indicative I think.

Isn't it even earlier than 3 weeks? I thought the 3 weeks was more of a limit.
  [#permalink] 26 Oct 2007, 10:32