Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 12:18
I think it depends a little. Like when the committees they clear things through meet for stuff.

It seems so long ago - I think it was between 2-3 weeks for me. But it is damn quick compared to a lot of schools. Kind of reflects the i/view to admit approach they take.

I need to dig out yr email you sent kidderek. It has been a hellish week (try making chat with a guy from Merrill without mentioning $8.4bn things)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 14:06
Berkeley also asks in their application what schools you apply to, though it's for "research" purposes and it's optional. Most of us are not filling those out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 09:56
To all you stern experts there, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help:

1) For GMAT score, we have to send in the official before decision, so around interview time. For Transcripts, we have to send in only after acceptance. Is this information correct?

(side rant: why is it that most schools always make this critical info so damn vague and confusing??)

2) Stern obviously places well in banking in NYC. But what about international placement, say Asia? Do they place well there? Also, what about consulting? Can you get an M/B/B interview easily?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 10:02
aceman626 wrote:
To all you stern experts there, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help:

1) For GMAT score, we have to send in the official before decision, so around interview time. For Transcripts, we have to send in only after acceptance. Is this information correct?

Thanks!

My understanding is that the official transcript goes with the application.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 10:06
my understanding of Stern's international placement in Asia is that it's not that good. Stern is good on the East Coast and Europe. But once you get out to the West Coast, it's hard to place for Stern, let alone Asia. There will probably be a few things out there, since alums might be doing stuff in Asia, but I wouldn't think there'll be more than schools such as Stanford, Haas, and Anderson.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 23:44
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Thanks!

My understanding is that the official transcript goes with the application.

Hi, can you let me know where you found that out? Was it during an info session? From the website the impression I got was that the transcript was after admit only. GMAT, however needs to arrive before an admit is given, so I assume around interview time.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 04:59
TO THE REGISTRAR:
• The person designated above is applying for admission to NYU Stern. Thank you for your assistance.
• Please attach an official copy of his or her transcript to this form and complete the form as indicated. The transcript should include the dates
of attendance; a listing of classes taken and marks or grades earned; and, if completed, the name and date of the degree conferred.
• Please seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal to ensure confidentiality.

• Return the sealed envelope to the applicant, who will submit it unopened to MBA Admissions with the application.

This is what it says on the recommendation form

[edit] sorry, not reco form, but transcript req form.

Last edited by kidderek on 29 Oct 2007, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 06:19
ooh! I actually asked my school to overnight my transcript with the form because I had to fax the form to my school and send it to NYU. I studied in US but now in Europe so I thought that will be the faster way.....if I wait to have my school send it to me and then send it back, it would have been a nightmare....
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:46
aceman626 wrote:
2) Stern obviously places well in banking in NYC. But what about international placement, say Asia? Do they place well there? Also, what about consulting? Can you get an M/B/B interview easily?

That is a really tricky question. Obviously it is dependent upon how many people want to work in asia, and then the number that get it.

I can confirm that the banks appear to recruit for asia here. It isn't my interest, so I am not sure in detail about how strong the facility to do that is (I am not a member of the Asian business society, so don't get their recruiting events).

That said, Finance is pretty global. All the European arms of the IBs recruit here, and it is the same banks pretty much in Asia. Ergo, the same values should carry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:51
kidderek wrote:
TO THE REGISTRAR:
• The person designated above is applying for admission to NYU Stern. Thank you for your assistance.
• Please attach an official copy of his or her transcript to this form and complete the form as indicated. The transcript should include the dates
of attendance; a listing of classes taken and marks or grades earned; and, if completed, the name and date of the degree conferred.
• Please seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal to ensure confidentiality.

• Return the sealed envelope to the applicant, who will submit it unopened to MBA Admissions with the application.

This is what it says on the recommendation form

[edit] sorry, not reco form, but transcript req form.

I see, cool thanks. I assume also that it's fine if its send by my directly to NYU? I am overseas and did my undergrad in the US, all other schools are ok with taking the transcript directly from my undergrad...dunno about NYU?

By the way, if someone can confirm that the GMAT can be sent at interview time, that would be great.

(i guess i should just call adcom and confirm..)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:06
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:10
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.

Their school - their choice, as simple as that.
Unfortunately it means a lot of headaches for us!!!!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:22
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:25
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Why Stern? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 15:17
Guys,
Did you talk about Why Stern at all in Essay 1? Or did you leave that completely for essay 2? I am currently planning on covering it completely in essay 2 as I am already over my word limit on essay 1.
That reminds me, the other schools allow a 10% variance in their essay lengths. Do you know if NYU is that lenient too or are they more stringent about the word counts?
Thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 23:44
dosa_don wrote:
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:

Hey bro!

Thinking of Stern but not getting any good insights into Q3. Did you get any invites yet?
Current Student
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:29
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:35
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)

2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?
Current Student
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:49
kidderek wrote:
Texas_Dawg wrote:

2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 20:20
Texas_Dawg wrote:

I am going to write a simple essay for #3.

I was toying with the idea of pictographic represention of my progression till date..But, dropped it..Who am I kidding? I am not an artist..;)
  [#permalink] 06 Nov 2007, 20:20