Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 12:18
I think it depends a little. Like when the committees they clear things through meet for stuff.

It seems so long ago - I think it was between 2-3 weeks for me. But it is damn quick compared to a lot of schools. Kind of reflects the i/view to admit approach they take.

I need to dig out yr email you sent kidderek. It has been a hellish week (try making chat with a guy from Merrill without mentioning $8.4bn things)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 14:06
Berkeley also asks in their application what schools you apply to, though it's for "research" purposes and it's optional. Most of us are not filling those out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 09:56
To all you stern experts there, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help:

1) For GMAT score, we have to send in the official before decision, so around interview time. For Transcripts, we have to send in only after acceptance. Is this information correct?

(side rant: why is it that most schools always make this critical info so damn vague and confusing??)


2) Stern obviously places well in banking in NYC. But what about international placement, say Asia? Do they place well there? Also, what about consulting? Can you get an M/B/B interview easily?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 10:02
aceman626 wrote:
To all you stern experts there, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help:

1) For GMAT score, we have to send in the official before decision, so around interview time. For Transcripts, we have to send in only after acceptance. Is this information correct?

Thanks!


My understanding is that the official transcript goes with the application.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 10:06
my understanding of Stern's international placement in Asia is that it's not that good. Stern is good on the East Coast and Europe. But once you get out to the West Coast, it's hard to place for Stern, let alone Asia. There will probably be a few things out there, since alums might be doing stuff in Asia, but I wouldn't think there'll be more than schools such as Stanford, Haas, and Anderson.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 23:44
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
To all you stern experts there, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help:

1) For GMAT score, we have to send in the official before decision, so around interview time. For Transcripts, we have to send in only after acceptance. Is this information correct?

Thanks!


My understanding is that the official transcript goes with the application.


Hi, can you let me know where you found that out? Was it during an info session? From the website the impression I got was that the transcript was after admit only. GMAT, however needs to arrive before an admit is given, so I assume around interview time.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 04:59
TO THE REGISTRAR:
• The person designated above is applying for admission to NYU Stern. Thank you for your assistance.
• Please attach an official copy of his or her transcript to this form and complete the form as indicated. The transcript should include the dates
of attendance; a listing of classes taken and marks or grades earned; and, if completed, the name and date of the degree conferred.
• Please seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal to ensure confidentiality.

• Return the sealed envelope to the applicant, who will submit it unopened to MBA Admissions with the application.

This is what it says on the recommendation form

[edit] sorry, not reco form, but transcript req form.

Last edited by kidderek on 29 Oct 2007, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 455
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 06:19
ooh! I actually asked my school to overnight my transcript with the form because I had to fax the form to my school and send it to NYU. I studied in US but now in Europe so I thought that will be the faster way.....if I wait to have my school send it to me and then send it back, it would have been a nightmare....
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:46
aceman626 wrote:
2) Stern obviously places well in banking in NYC. But what about international placement, say Asia? Do they place well there? Also, what about consulting? Can you get an M/B/B interview easily?


That is a really tricky question. Obviously it is dependent upon how many people want to work in asia, and then the number that get it.

I can confirm that the banks appear to recruit for asia here. It isn't my interest, so I am not sure in detail about how strong the facility to do that is (I am not a member of the Asian business society, so don't get their recruiting events).

That said, Finance is pretty global. All the European arms of the IBs recruit here, and it is the same banks pretty much in Asia. Ergo, the same values should carry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:51
kidderek wrote:
TO THE REGISTRAR:
• The person designated above is applying for admission to NYU Stern. Thank you for your assistance.
• Please attach an official copy of his or her transcript to this form and complete the form as indicated. The transcript should include the dates
of attendance; a listing of classes taken and marks or grades earned; and, if completed, the name and date of the degree conferred.
• Please seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal to ensure confidentiality.

• Return the sealed envelope to the applicant, who will submit it unopened to MBA Admissions with the application.

This is what it says on the recommendation form

[edit] sorry, not reco form, but transcript req form.


I see, cool thanks. I assume also that it's fine if its send by my directly to NYU? I am overseas and did my undergrad in the US, all other schools are ok with taking the transcript directly from my undergrad...dunno about NYU?

By the way, if someone can confirm that the GMAT can be sent at interview time, that would be great.

(i guess i should just call adcom and confirm..)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:06
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:10
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.


Their school - their choice, as simple as that.
Unfortunately it means a lot of headaches for us!!!!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:22
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:25
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Why Stern? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 15:17
Guys,
Did you talk about Why Stern at all in Essay 1? Or did you leave that completely for essay 2? I am currently planning on covering it completely in essay 2 as I am already over my word limit on essay 1.
That reminds me, the other schools allow a 10% variance in their essay lengths. Do you know if NYU is that lenient too or are they more stringent about the word counts?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 23:44
dosa_don wrote:
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.


Hey bro!

Thinking of Stern but not getting any good insights into Q3. Did you get any invites yet?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:29
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:35
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:49
kidderek wrote:
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?


Thanks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 20:20
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


I am going to write a simple essay for #3.

I was toying with the idea of pictographic represention of my progression till date..But, dropped it..Who am I kidding? I am not an artist..;)
  [#permalink] 06 Nov 2007, 20:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants Narenn 58 27 Dec 2013, 02:04
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Part-Time Class of 2017: Calling all applicants! souvik101990 89 21 Apr 2013, 09:12
105 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! souvik101990 613 21 Apr 2013, 09:10
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants highwyre237 784 15 Jun 2012, 06:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.