Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 455
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 06:19
ooh! I actually asked my school to overnight my transcript with the form because I had to fax the form to my school and send it to NYU. I studied in US but now in Europe so I thought that will be the faster way.....if I wait to have my school send it to me and then send it back, it would have been a nightmare....
VP
VP
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:46
aceman626 wrote:
2) Stern obviously places well in banking in NYC. But what about international placement, say Asia? Do they place well there? Also, what about consulting? Can you get an M/B/B interview easily?


That is a really tricky question. Obviously it is dependent upon how many people want to work in asia, and then the number that get it.

I can confirm that the banks appear to recruit for asia here. It isn't my interest, so I am not sure in detail about how strong the facility to do that is (I am not a member of the Asian business society, so don't get their recruiting events).

That said, Finance is pretty global. All the European arms of the IBs recruit here, and it is the same banks pretty much in Asia. Ergo, the same values should carry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:51
kidderek wrote:
TO THE REGISTRAR:
• The person designated above is applying for admission to NYU Stern. Thank you for your assistance.
• Please attach an official copy of his or her transcript to this form and complete the form as indicated. The transcript should include the dates
of attendance; a listing of classes taken and marks or grades earned; and, if completed, the name and date of the degree conferred.
• Please seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal to ensure confidentiality.

• Return the sealed envelope to the applicant, who will submit it unopened to MBA Admissions with the application.

This is what it says on the recommendation form

[edit] sorry, not reco form, but transcript req form.


I see, cool thanks. I assume also that it's fine if its send by my directly to NYU? I am overseas and did my undergrad in the US, all other schools are ok with taking the transcript directly from my undergrad...dunno about NYU?

By the way, if someone can confirm that the GMAT can be sent at interview time, that would be great.

(i guess i should just call adcom and confirm..)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:06
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.
Current Student
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:10
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.


Their school - their choice, as simple as that.
Unfortunately it means a lot of headaches for us!!!!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:22
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:25
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 74
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Why Stern? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 15:17
Guys,
Did you talk about Why Stern at all in Essay 1? Or did you leave that completely for essay 2? I am currently planning on covering it completely in essay 2 as I am already over my word limit on essay 1.
That reminds me, the other schools allow a 10% variance in their essay lengths. Do you know if NYU is that lenient too or are they more stringent about the word counts?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 23:44
dosa_don wrote:
Hey abhishek- how many schools are you applying to? I know you apped to cbs, w, h, s - anymore in R1? :)

abhishek.sardana wrote:
Stern also wants us to enclose a copy of the degree certificate with the Transcript.

Why do they want us to send? They should also accept the self reported transcripts.


Hey bro!

Thinking of Stern but not getting any good insights into Q3. Did you get any invites yet?
Current Student
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:29
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:35
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?
Current Student
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:49
kidderek wrote:
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


2nd year reps said that over 60% of accepted students had simply written essays. I think as long as you get your message across, you're fine.

But then again, what the h3ll do I know?


Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 20:20
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Is anyone choosing to simply write an essay for #3? (As opposed to drawing something, making something, etc.)


I am going to write a simple essay for #3.

I was toying with the idea of pictographic represention of my progression till date..But, dropped it..Who am I kidding? I am not an artist..;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 08:21
Hey guys, more questions about stern, great if you guys can help out.

1) I don't see anywhere online to upload the scanned transcript?? Is that right or am I on crack? I've sent the official copy already from my undergrad.

2) Stern doesn't have any essays about leadership, teamwork, etc. Where do you guys talk about that stuff? Essay 1?

3) I've heard some rumors that stern is regarded as second rate to columbia is there any truth to that??? I wouldn't want to go anywhere that's got a weak reputation...


Thanks!!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 09:27
aceman626 wrote:
1) I don't see anywhere online to upload the scanned transcript?? Is that right or am I on crack? I've sent the official copy already from my undergrad.


Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.

aceman626 wrote:
2) Stern doesn't have any essays about leadership, teamwork, etc. Where do you guys talk about that stuff? Essay 1?


Hmm, maybe they're not so keen on leadership as other schools. Either way, I think it goes in essay #1, but can go in any of the essays.

aceman626 wrote:
3) I've heard some rumors that stern is regarded as second rate to columbia is there any truth to that??? I wouldn't want to go anywhere that's got a weak reputation...


Rather than listen to others' opinions, you should do your own research. Talk to some of the Stern students.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 13:32
kidderek wrote:


Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.



Which Sheet are we talking about here? I sent only the transcript with the photocopy of my degree certificate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 20:47
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
1) I don't see anywhere online to upload the scanned transcript?? Is that right or am I on crack? I've sent the official copy already from my undergrad.


Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.



craaaaap...that sheet is not absolutely crucial is it? I had my undergrad (from US) send it directly to NYU...that should be fine right? It would make a lot more sense than to have them send it to me overseas, and then me send it back to the US.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 21:40
aceman626 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
1) I don't see anywhere online to upload the scanned transcript?? Is that right or am I on crack? I've sent the official copy already from my undergrad.


Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.



craaaaap...that sheet is not absolutely crucial is it? I had my undergrad (from US) send it directly to NYU...that should be fine right? It would make a lot more sense than to have them send it to me overseas, and then me send it back to the US.


Who knows? I doubt it's crucial at all, it didn't request much info on it. I sent it to my undergrad and they sent it back to me in a sealed, stamped on the flap, envelope.

SO, I can't even be sure that that sheet is even in the envelope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 05:13
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
1) I don't see anywhere online to upload the scanned transcript?? Is that right or am I on crack? I've sent the official copy already from my undergrad.


Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.



craaaaap...that sheet is not absolutely crucial is it? I had my undergrad (from US) send it directly to NYU...that should be fine right? It would make a lot more sense than to have them send it to me overseas, and then me send it back to the US.


Who knows? I doubt it's crucial at all, it didn't request much info on it. I sent it to my undergrad and they sent it back to me in a sealed, stamped on the flap, envelope.

SO, I can't even be sure that that sheet is even in the envelope.


ok cool...hope that's ok...otherwise its bye bye stern....lol
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 12:25
I paid for an extra transcript and when it got back to me, I opened to make sure the coversheet was inside and filled out correctly. I paid for that peace of mind at the cost of a Starbuck coffee. :-D

kidderek wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Stern wants official copies with that cover sheet attached with it.

SO, I can't even be sure that that sheet is even in the envelope.


ok cool...hope that's ok...otherwise its bye bye stern....lol
  [#permalink] 12 Nov 2007, 12:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants highwyre237 784 15 Jun 2012, 06:56
Sticky, new posts 105 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! souvik101990 590 21 Apr 2013, 09:10
Sticky, new posts 6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) Part-Time Class of 2017: Calling all applicants! souvik101990 89 21 Apr 2013, 09:12
Sticky, new posts 3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern (NYU) 2016 Class - Calling all Waitlisted Applicants Narenn 54 27 Dec 2013, 02:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.