Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Stern/NYU Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Couldn't find any thread for Stern!

Who are planning to apply to Stern R1?

[EDIT by KIDDEREK]

Class of '09 thread

http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t38771?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Attachments

img126.jpg
img126.jpg [ 319.08 KiB | Viewed 4789 times ]

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
I find Stern puts a lot of work on getting a crowd together that will gel well - it is aware of its finance background but it pushing into entertainment, luxury retail and a few oddball things. While entrepreneurial paths are there, they are clearly emphasized more at Columbia. I think for the more free spirited things Stern has strength - possibly from the fact that Columbia has a very strong path and history that gives it some access to things Stern may not (Investment Mgmt is the one I think is probably easier there).

I think merely by the location and style of school that Stern does immediately fit well with its down to earth objective. Columbia is a little village and an ivy, and it won't shake those things off (why should it?!) - it gives a different atmosphere on campus and around the actual school. It is a simple function of the schools strength and style of people they attract that adapts the environment.

The Columbia kids I know seem to make a bigger deal about the academics. I am not sure it is very much different, they suggest they have a lot more work, but I think a lot of it is the attitude and style that the school appeals to. I do really like Columbia's new case program they are working on (incomplete cases to reflect the real world) but that really matters little now - the speed they will be able to bring that in is way too slow to affect any of us.

They probably think we are drunk all the time. To be fair on an assessment of last week, that wasn't far off the mark.

Columbia also see nothing wrong with fielding a load of med school ringers in their Rugby team to help them beat Stern in the Gotham Cup. And even if that isn't true, that is my story and I am going to run with it.

I think anyone could flourish at both, but I just felt the fit was better for me personally at Stern, whereas academically I may well have preferred Columbia. Obviously in all cases of business schools you are arguing on the final 10/20% where the difference is made - the underlying is pretty much identical.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 18:09
This post received
KUDOS
No interview. Just an email stating my application has been updated. That was a big hint right there.

I only applied to Stern and Cornell, and I'm not counting on my chances on R3 with Cornell. I know about the surge in number of applications this year, and I know where my profile ranks among the applicants. But no matter how much I have curbed my optimism over the past weeks, nothing, nothing, prepared me for the dejection I felt reading the rejection letter.

Not all is lost. I will apply what I've learned and have a headstart for Fall '08.

Best of luck to all of you still waiting.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
bsd_lover wrote:
3under - doesn't this rolling biz cause hassles for internationals ? I mean finding out 3 month after I applied will take me well into April/May .. Which leaves me with a mere 2 months to arrange visas and my move.

It takes you into April. It isn't pretty, but it gives you three months (taking end July as move) and it is all possible, but you can't afford to have anything go wrong. I would recommend having looked into how and where you are going to fund your study from, as a screw up in that costs you time. If you are all laid out you'll have time. If you screw some bits up, you have time as well.

I speak from experience (in fact my diary for the FT was on very much this part of the application process for non-US citizens).

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
My first DING of the season....four more to go, hopefully with better outcomes...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
I understand that man. The harder you work, the worse it feels on a ding !

I worked for *months* on my columbia app. My interview was great, I was given high marks on everything and recommended strongly for admission, but then dinged. All said and done, I surmised my score of 720 and a vanilla non IIT background was to blame. And sad, masters from a top 10 univ. with a 3.7, my publications/patents still did not set me apart from the 'IT' pool (And I'm in semiconductors/hardware anyway, very, very different from a typical IT job)...

Stern is the only school I visited, and I paid $180 just for my transcripts to be attested at the NY embassy. They charge $10/document attesting, and I had 8 separate marksheets + 1 degree certificate, not a single transcript...
With all the Stern R1 dings I see in this thread, looks like I wasted some more effort and money (EDIT:) apping here in R2!

But hey ..keep your head up ... a lot more to come, and its all for good ...

Last edited by gmat_march on 29 Jan 2008, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
I say hold on to that plane ticket stub, you might want to frame it.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
I know a lot of people who live there, and they always on top of where the drinks are each night because of the concentration.

If you are from overseas it is a strong buy - NYC real estate sucks, and if you have no guarantor or credit (which applies to overseas) you will find renting an apartment will cost you a years rent in advance. Which is a sting.

Otherwise, the rooms are small (it is a dorm), your bed is small and any guests have to be signed in to the building. Which can be a bit of bad news in some circumstances.

In the final year by taking on roles in the halls you can get a big rent discount, but there are only a few positions and I think they are strongly contested (ie - don't bank on it).

As for where people live - everywhere. Families out in Jersey City / Hoboken, some in Park Slope (Brooklyn), a fair number in the East & West Villages, SoHo, Nolita, Tribeca, Midtown - anywhere. Mass Transit is your friend as the spread of people's living arrangements hardy matter. Except for themselves, when they have to get home.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:54
me
The deadlines are a bit late so taking it cool
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 11:23
Possibly R1 :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 15:37
Im in for R1. We started a thread earlier but it was not added to pants pooping so I believe it was overlooked. I visited the campus in the spring. I really liked it. Great program and school especially for IB.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 17:15
R2 depending on what if anything I hear back on my R1 applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 18:29
Round 1 for me!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 18:40
was considering it, but realized that their entrepreneurship and international business career placement won't be able to compete against Haas or UCLA due to regional differences (Europe vs Asia, and local startups). So as much as I wanted to go to school in NYC, it won't really benefit my future career... :(
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 05:02
I think I'm in for R1, but I have yet to make a NY trip to visit the school. I think I'll be in though, b/c they have a solid finance program.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 05:30
I'll be applying to round 1. I attended an informational session back in July and I just got my invitation to the discover stern weekend in October. Are there any other GMATclubbers attending this event? I think I remember chatting with Ozmba2006 about it.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 07:08
gixxer1000 wrote:
I'll be applying to round 1. I attended an informational session back in July and I just got my invitation to the discover stern weekend in October. Are there any other GMATclubbers attending this event? I think I remember chatting with Ozmba2006 about it.

I did send my application for "Discover Stern" and yet to get an invite.

Do they invite only minorities for the event ?
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 08:33
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Do they invite only minorities for the event ?

The answer to that seems to be ambiguous at best. It's listed as a diversity weekend, on the application you don't have to list your ethnicity and white is an option. Why would they list non minority ethnicites or make it optional for that matter if you have to be a minority to be accepted?

I also found this reference to the previous years event.

"Discover Stern Weekend, held each year in conjunction with the AHBBS Conference, brings together members of NYU Stern’s strong diversity applicant pool as they prepare for the December 1 application deadline. MBA Admissions expects 100 top diversity candidates from around the country to participate in this special weekend of events designed to give prospective students an opportunity to interact with current students, alumni, faculty, administrators and Corporate Partner representatives."

But on the same page they also say:

"The AHBBS Conference affords companies the unique opportunity to engage an audience of 300, which includes current AHBBS members, top minority prospective students, and AHBBS alumni and guests. The one-day conference will feature two keynote speakers, industry-focused panel discussions and a cocktail reception. Sponsors will make a powerful impression on talented minority candidates."

It's seems the focus of the conference is for minority students and I guess you could assume that because all diversity weekend students attend the conference that it is for minorites as well. But I would'nt rely on my assumptions, I seem to miss a lot of CR questions :? .
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 10:20
What are various applicants doing for the 3rd essay? I am still undecided.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2007, 16:43
Ah, the wonderful essay 3.

If any of you are in NYC, give me a shout. I am easy to persuade to go to the bar instead of studying.
  [#permalink] 22 Sep 2007, 16:43