Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Super Performers for help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling Super Performers for help [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 07:00
Guys I have posted on 24th only one reply need some help...

I got 560 on this 23rd Q 42,V 25

Pls help me to restart .... I will be giving gmat in JUNE

HELP ME :shock: :shock: :shock:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 07:11
I am definately no super performer, but according to all the top guns in this forum there seems to be one sureproof way to boost your score- PRACTICE!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 08:46
no super performer either but you should hang around here.
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 08:55
Sure. Stick to this forum. Tag along likes of matt, vivek, bhai, techm, laxie, gsr,honghu..and on and on. you never know how far you will reach.

Try not to read answers at the beginning. Solve it your own way and then look at the responses, if any. If you found something interesting do add to the discussion.

Good luck.
duttsit
Caution: sorry no super-performer. just my $0.02 :)

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Super Performers for help [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 17:35
ashuspark wrote:
Guys I have posted on 24th only one reply need some help...

I got 560 on this 23rd Q 42,V 25

Pls help me to restart .... I will be giving gmat in JUNE

HELP ME :shock: :shock: :shock:

As they say it... practice!
But what scores are you aiming at. 600? 650? 700? 750?
Then looking at the scores of those people, decide how many more points you will need for Q and V. And put in the effort...
There are lots of GMAT study strategy available in the other discussion threads. See which is most suitable for you given the amount of time you can commit. And then modify the strategy as you go along.

Disclaimer: I am no super performer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 00:21
A good place to start would be to read most if not all the stickies in the "GMAT', "share your experience", "math" and "verbal" forums. If you have time, go over the questions in the "best of verbal" questions as well. Finally, keep practicing and participate actively. There is no magic answer to the question "how do I get better". Just practice and a good first step would be to start by reading those afore mentioned stickies. Nonetheless, it is possible to increase your score substantially if you train yourself to it.

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 00:42
Not anywhere near a super performer...but I agree with everyone's responses here.. Practice is key, but HOW your practice is also important. Remember to always practice under timed/uncomfortable situations.

Another important thing is to FIND OUT YOUR WEAKNESS and work on them.

Oh, have you taken GMATPrep yet? Maybe you could tell us a little bit about how you prepared and then we can help you determine what might have went wrong?

P.s. hi Duttsit :wink:

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern

THANX A TON GUYS [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 00:56
thanx a lot for such high volume of charged resonse. I bit about my prep I joined PR classes which was actually biggest mistakes I have ever made.. they charged a fortune for nothing... the level is really low...

I finished OG with a very low strike rate in verbal and in Quant with lot of time, I did kaplan 800 where my strike rate was better. I gave all the PR test
PR1 400
PR2 430
PR3 500
PR4 580
PR5 600

GMAT Prep 1 (before OG) 550
GMAT Prep 2 (after OG last day) 600

What books should I refer now and practice.

Thanx once again for support
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 01:10
Can you tell us what score you are targeting?

You are right about PR, they only teach you the basics; the only thing I walked away from that class was the DS AD/BCE technique. Other than that, zilch. Nada. I learned so much more from our fellow members here than PR would ever have to offer. So I suggest you start participating actively (if time permits) in this forum.

As for books, well, OG is a must, esp for verbal. Which version do you have? OG 10 or OG 11? They have some overlapped questions but OG 11 has better OEs than OG 10. Some people have mentioned that they have gone through OG cover to cover more than once. I haven't used much Kaplan books so I can't really comment on these. LSAT books may be good to practice RCs with.

Again, you need to know your weakness and start from the basics.

Also try keeping an error log, both for your practices and for your CATs. Go over your errors at least once a day.

Practice is key, esp. under timed conditions. And most important of all, never lose hope!

Here is a study plan by by a guy who scored a 720

http://beatthegmat.blogspot.com/

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 12:54
The basics, as taught in PR, Kaplan, Manhattan guides are worth a careful look. Honestly, all I did was to learn these carefully and improved my verbal from high 30's at the start to 45 on the real test (And as a result improved my score from about 700 to 770).

Specifically, there are the SC rules. Subject-verb agreement, parallelism, tense, etc... Learn these, and learn these well.

For RC: develop your own style of annotating to get a sense of the whole passage. At the start, I'd just read the boring passages, retain nothing, and have to scramble to figure anything out. Sound familiar? Outline! You don't have to make it pretty, and there is no set style, but I believe that nearly everyone needs some crutch to get them through these boring passages.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 11:56
You have lots of time till June. You should try to plan it well. Looks to me your have a decent math score and perhaps need more improvement for verbal. If I were you I would look to see if I have any room for improvement in math. Then I would see why I didn't score well for verbal. Is it the grammar, the logics or the reading. I would do block exercising where I concentrate on one thing at a time for a period. And in the last one or two month I would do whole section simulation tests to get the real test feeling.

One thing for practising question is always think. If you don't know how to think for a question, mark it and come back when you are done. When you review the questions see how other people or the reference books are thinking about this question. Don't just write down the answer. If you happen to guess right that doesn't mean you will guess right the next time.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

[#permalink] 07 Feb 2006, 11:56