Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 11:06
true, unless a top 7 candidate apply for a near elite school, there is no such thing as a "safety" school just because of the randomness of some adcoms. All I can do is prepare a very good essay/app package and hope for the best.

Applying R1 I heard helps a lot for UCLA. And definitely showing that you WILL go to their school and are not just applying because they're a "safety" school helps too. I'll be visiting in late September to get a feel, and then again in early/mid October when classes start but before the deadline to get last minute additions into my essays.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 12:57
Kryzak,
Let me know if you are going to the UCLA session in september - I might join you. I am sure I will get a different perspective, as I wll be applying for R1.

Besides, I plan to sit for one of their classes - I guess I have to do some schmoozing to make a mark on the admissions committee.

I want to find out one important information about the app process - UCLA starts reviewing their applications from September. I want to find out from the admissions committee the last date before they stop R1 and get into R2. I suspect that late October might be pushing the limit with respect to applying in R1.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:08
Hey Aviroop!

I'm signed up for the 9/19 infosession. I'll be driving up from San Diego that afternoon for it (got work down there that week). Would love to have you there so we can both jot down notes!

I also plan to sit in on classes, so I need to fly down again sometime after October 1st but before October 14th (so I can have a week to incorporate what I learned into my essays for the October 22nd deadline).

Not sure what you mean by "last date before they stop R1", since their deadline on the web is clearly October 22nd for Round 1. There's no way to submit it any earlier than October 1st if you want to sit in on a class (if you didn't already this past spring), and since UCLA likes to hear that you came to visit and sat in on a class, I think it's worth turning the app in before the R1 deadline just so you have a couple visits in there and can talk about the classes you attended.

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:11
obviously, it's always best to apply as early as possible... but i remember reading somewhere that applying during R2 at ucla is alright because they have four rounds. i can't find the link to the article, but i'll try to find it. it was totally some random person's opinion, for what its worth, but it made sense. Obviously, if you have time to apply during round 1, do it. but maybe consider finishing those other apps first and if you still have time.

if you're looking for another good question to ask during an info session, ask for more details on the "rolling admissions" process. In fact, I don't even understand how exactly it works. all i know is, i turned in my application a few minutes before the R2 deadline, and I received my acceptance letter the day before their quoted decision date (fyi- on the actual decision date, i only heard of people getting dings, no acceptances). i remember reading on various forums that other R2 applicants were receiving acceptance letters several weeks before. i'm not sure if i was one of the last to make in the door by my credentials, or if they just looked at my stuff last... admittedly, it sucked waiting til the end, but in the end i was just glad to make it.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:21
polobrute,
I was trying to convey the exact message - but as usual I made a mess of it while typing. I heard that too from the info session and wanted to ask more about the rolling admissions process - but at that time, some nut asked about housing and some inane question and the whole conversation just jumped tracks.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:32
sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to find out if you guys could give an answer to this -

I was looking into the online application of Columbia and read this in employment history -
" Your professional resume should account for all of your work experience, including full-time, part-time and summer employment since entering college. Begin with your most recent employment and include military service, entrepreneurial experience, travel and job search periods" - this is in the employment history part, that asks to fill up all the employment information (current and past)

Ok, now should I put in all the part time work that I did in college - including my stints in Burger King and cleaning floors in a local cafeteria - how are they supposed to help my application??

Your thoughts please.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:43
kryzak wrote:
Hey Aviroop!

I'm signed up for the 9/19 infosession. I'll be driving up from San Diego that afternoon for it (got work down there that week). Would love to have you there so we can both jot down notes!

I also plan to sit in on classes, so I need to fly down again sometime after October 1st but before October 14th (so I can have a week to incorporate what I learned into my essays for the October 22nd deadline).

Not sure what you mean by "last date before they stop R1", since their deadline on the web is clearly October 22nd for Round 1. There's no way to submit it any earlier than October 1st if you want to sit in on a class (if you didn't already this past spring), and since UCLA likes to hear that you came to visit and sat in on a class, I think it's worth turning the app in before the R1 deadline just so you have a couple visits in there and can talk about the classes you attended.

What do you think?

keep in mind that you only have 2 pages (with 1.5 spacing, no less) to convey why mba, why now, and why ucla (unless the questions changed from last year)... this isn't much space...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 13:52
aviroop wrote:
sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to find out if you guys could give an answer to this -

I was looking into the online application of Columbia and read this in employment history -
" Your professional resume should account for all of your work experience, including full-time, part-time and summer employment since entering college. Begin with your most recent employment and include military service, entrepreneurial experience, travel and job search periods" - this is in the employment history part, that asks to fill up all the employment information (current and past)

Ok, now should I put in all the part time work that I did in college - including my stints in Burger King and cleaning floors in a local cafeteria - how are they supposed to help my application??

Your thoughts please.

it's really up to you... one thing to consider is, if you're grades were poor during undergrad, you can try to explain that you had to support yourself working at these jobs... and if your grades were strong, you can spin it such that you can handle school and work simultaneously.

in the end, i don't really see how working at BK while in college can hurt your application.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 15:06
to polobrute and aviroop on admissions deadlines:

I'm a little confused. UCLA seems to be in "rounds", even though they have 4 rounds, that doesn't make them "rolling admissions", does it? Also, R2 deadline is quite a bit later than R1, with the announcement timeframe roughly the same as other schools' R2 announcements. That means that UCLA has an extra-late round (I wonder why) instead of having 2 rounds replacing other schools' R1s. Does that make it less risky to apply R2 instead of R1? I don't know.

Since I really want to get into UCLA, I wanted to do the application first (before I work on Haas and Stanford) since everyone recommends that you work on the hardest schools after you have more practice. I won't be submitting the UCLA app any earlier than the R1 deadline, even if I finish it first (so I can go back after Haas and Stanford and refine the UCLA app), but since it'll be almost done, why wait until January 2nd if you can get it in early? Of course, if the whole visiting thing falls through, then I might submit it later, but I kinda wanted to know that I'm in an MBA program as early as I can, instead of waiting until January.

Regarding Aviroop's question on part time jobs:

That's interesting. I have a bunch of random grader type jobs. I hope they don't want a contact person or phone number for that! I wouldn't know how to find the info, nor would the person (a student at the time) be still around!

Last edited by kryzak on 24 Jul 2007, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 16:51
kryzak,
I recommend submitting the application in R1 - every round that you defer, you are going to compete with more people who are as prepared as you or even more prepared -

its better to fight against 500 than 5000.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 16:58
I fully agree and fully intend to apply to the three top choices in R1 to maximize my chances.

Of course there are people who still say that your chances are lower because the adcom won't know how to "gauge" how well you compare against the incoming applicant pool that early in the game.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:23
Thinking of UCLA 2008! :lol:

Unfortunately I'm in Toronto and can't afford to fly to LA for a campus visit. To those who're fortunate enough to have done so, what is everyone's impression of the campus/program?

I hope I'm not at a disadvantage by not visiting.. yikes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 09:15
I heard UCLA has an amazing business school campus, and that everything is very new and nice. I will know after late September when I visit. =)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 09:39
I wish I could visit in September, but I have had a trip to Italy planned for the last 2/3 of September for about a year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 09:50
well, their class visits start in mid-October, so you can still visit =)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 16:46
Alright, I'm reviving the UCLA thread...

Anyone find out any new info about them? I'm still in search of someone to meet up with from UCLA either 9/19 or 9/21-23. I got a few leads here and there (thanks polobrute and zakk for your help!), but no concrete phonecall yet.

The admissions office was better this time, as they told me I can sit in any class if I let the prof know a few minutes before lecture that I'm a prospective student. All students should be back by 10/1, she said.

I bought tickets for 10/6-8, so I will take the official tour, sit in on a class or two, and meet some students that weekend and that Monday.

Since polobrute said the essays are pretty standard, I can begin to work on them after my Haas ones, and then add all the details I get from the infosession and visits after 10/8. Submit week of 10/15, and pray that I get an acceptance before Xmas (that would be SOOOO sweet!)

Anyway, what are your plans, fellow UCLA applicants??? :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 21:25
BTW, does anyone have the UCLA essays from last year? On their website, they seem to only have the PDF of the 2005 application...

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 14:48
Finally the app is up!

https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=ucla-mba

BTW, also finally got to talk to two students, one just graduated, the other a 2nd year. They're friendly and helpful, and gave me great insights into how good the UCLA Price Center for Entrepreneurship is and how it helps you find good startups to work for. BUT... for some reason, just from the phone interviews themselves, the "quality" of the answers and insights they gave me just aren't at the level of some of the Stanford/Haas/Kellogg students' answers.

For example, I ask, "What are some weaknesses of UCLA?" One guy answered a bunch of "not really" weaknesses (like the B-school isn't as connected with the Engineering school for tech entrepreneurship), the other guy said, "I wish the rankings were a bit higher, but it really doesn't matter."

Does UCLA have no weaknesses or are they trying to hide something? I'm not sure. But at least I know if I go to UCLA, career wise I'll be good for entrepreneur stuff.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 16:04
and give a shot in Hollywood!!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 16:04
and I am promoted as senior manager!!! My achievement this week is mighty!!!
  [#permalink] 04 Sep 2007, 16:04