Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink]
i hope you're not one of the guys in the speedo. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I don't see any reason for that interview to have jeopardized your chances...
If anything, from the sound of it..you had a lot of fun/interesting things to talk about..so I'd have to think the interview was good and feel positive about it.

We'll know in a few days...Good Luck.
And yeah...Avi..is your number still the same?

aviroop wrote:
Gave my interview today.

It was the most hilarious conversation we had.

We talked about GTA 4, economy, election 08, bushisms, microsoft gaming studios, swear words and parties in ucla......

i am sure with an interview like that, i wont be getting into ucla but i ended my season with a bang...

so i asked admissions when i will know the results,, got the usual PC statements. but i am guessing in next 2 weeks. until then its Avi time..

and i got a job offer with an advocacy group in brooklyn.. i will be burning boxers and campaigning outside WTO conventions... if i take the job
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
kk,
my phone no is the same

kryzak,
called u up and left a voice mail on ur phone
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
i hope you're not one of the guys in the speedo. :P

No speedo, they were short shorts. No I was not one of those dudes lol
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Has anyone figured out a ball-park of how UCLA figures who to give their $20,000 scholarships to? I know that they are based purely off GMAT/GPA, but I am wondering about the cut-offs and figures. I have a 3.5 GPA from UG and I am trying to figure out what I need to get on the GMAT to be eligible. I am guessing 770-780 would be sufficient, but I'm wondering if a 750 would be sufficient?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Has anyone figured out a ball-park of how UCLA figures who to give their $20,000 scholarships to? I know that they are based purely off GMAT/GPA, but I am wondering about the cut-offs and figures. I have a 3.5 GPA from UG and I am trying to figure out what I need to get on the GMAT to be eligible. I am guessing 770-780 would be sufficient, but I'm wondering if a 750 would be sufficient?

Hey terp - actually, I was told that scholarship $$ is based on a combination of need and merit. Obviously it's to your advantage to score as high as you can on the GMAT, either way, but from what I understand the system isn't set in stone w/the adcoms - ie, a 760 is impressive and would probably aid you in being offered substantial $$, but I heard of two people last round who received $20M scholarships and "only" broke 700 - I think one had 710 and the other had a 700. This is hearsay through friends of friends, but I'm pretty confident of its accuracy. So obviously those folks brought more to the party than their respective GMAT scores...or maybe they were working for non-profits barely making a living wage, and the adcoms thought they merited some extra help.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
uphillclimb wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Hey terp - actually, I was told that scholarship $$ is based on a combination of need and merit. Obviously it's to your advantage to score as high as you can on the GMAT, either way, but from what I understand the system isn't set in stone w/the adcoms - ie, a 760 is impressive and would probably aid you in being offered substantial $$, but I heard of two people last round who received $20M scholarships and "only" broke 700 - I think one had 710 and the other had a 700. This is hearsay through friends of friends, but I'm pretty confident of its accuracy. So obviously those folks brought more to the party than their respective GMAT scores...or maybe they were working for non-profits barely making a living wage, and the adcoms thought they merited some extra help.

I was told at an info session, directly from a member of the admissions committee that scholarships are given out 80% based on merit and 20% based on need. The vast majority of them are given out based on solely GPA/GMAT. Call this system flawed as much as you want, but I believe this is what they are using. If you look at the people on this forum that got scholarships - almost all of them are academically strong. Did your friends who had 710-720 scores also have 3.8/3.9 GPAs?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I would say someone that the school deem as "must have" by their experience, GMAT, and GPA probably gets the fellowships...

btw, is there a terp06 and a terp26 or are my eyes failing me?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I would say someone that the school deem as "must have" by their experience, GMAT, and GPA probably gets the fellowships...

I was told work experience has nothing to do with it - only GMAT/GPA. Additionally, I think they give out the scholarships before need is even assessed.

You are correct - there are 2 terps on here. I should probably change my user ID :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
uphillclimb wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I was told at an info session, directly from a member of the admissions committee that scholarships are given out 80% based on merit and 20% based on need. The vast majority of them are given out based on solely GPA/GMAT. Call this system flawed as much as you want, but I believe this is what they are using. If you look at the people on this forum that got scholarships - almost all of them are academically strong. Did your friends who had 710-720 scores also have 3.8/3.9 GPAs?

Don't know about their GPA's - I'm guessing they were strong. Still don't know anything about exact cutoffs in terms of scores, etc. - and as always, scoring off the charts is always good but is no guarantee of admission, let alone scholarship $$. Frustrating process, but there it is... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I was told work experience has nothing to do with it - only GMAT/GPA. Additionally, I think they give out the scholarships before need is even assessed.

You are correct - there are 2 terps on here. I should probably change my user ID :)

Actually, comes down to competitiveness of the applicant. Sure numbers play a large part of that decision, but it is not purely numbers driven. Heck I know of a few people with 76-+ GMATs that didn't even get admitted to Anderson let alone $. I also know someone with a 770+ GMAt that did not get money but is at Anderson.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
I thought I should summarize what I learned about GM and consulting with respect to UCLA. As I said before, it was incredibly tough for me to give up my admit at Anderson. Some of what I write below will show why and also hopefully help future applicants.

General Management

Anderson on campus recruiting does not include a ton of opportunities in general management programs though there are some (Harrah's Entertainment and Chevron both immediately come to mind though I know there were several others). Because training is so specific for consulting recruiting they have a dedicated organization to consulting (Management Consulting Association) that does not focus on general management, internal strategy, and operational roles. SOMA is dedicated to helping their members find jobs/internships in those areas The Parker Career Management Center also would be able to share what companies have recruited on campus in the past for GM and also what programs students/alums have gone to that don't recruit on campus.

Personally, I don't think that the percentage of people coming out of Anderson and going into General Management reflects on Anderson so much as it reflects on the number of opportunities that are out there. I know of one person who is graduating this year and going into a rotational program at Disney. There are also similar rotational programs that are focused in one area of a company rather than multiple areas (ie, Mattel plans to start a supply chain rotational program soon). But overall, Anderson does not have as many companies coming to campus offering rotational programs as Ross does.

Consulting

I wanted to eventually own and operate my own business and for me consulting seemed like the best way to learn and develop the variety of skills necessary to be a successful entrepreneur. UCLA has a great e-ship program and a low profiled consulting program. I was concerned with the lack of consulting tradition and how it would affect my preparation for recruiting. Obviously, the more people focused on a career helps the schools and clubs develop the frameworks(educational and networking) to support students. Probably 10% of students at UCLA are focused on consulting compared to say 75% at Ross. The 10% looks like a small minority but it is an incredibly vocal, visible, and well supported group. That figure most likely only encompasses those who career switched into consulting and not those who have chosen to remain in the field. The MCA and the school does a great job supporting networking, education, and preparation throughout the recruiting process. One of my contacts successfully made the switch from entertainment to consulting at Bain.By the time interviews rolled he already had exposure to recruiters and alums at a lot of great firms (Deloitte S&O, Monitor, ZS, PRTM, Booz-Allen, Archstone, McKinsey, BCG, Mercer, and obviously Bain) and was very well prepared for case interviewing. The said contact, who is going to Bain, had this to say about his experience.

2nd year at Anderson wrote:
MCA put on a whole series of perparation opportunities including case workshops sponsored by three different firms (BCG, Bain, and Deloitte), a Strategy 101 series that met every other week to prepare case concepts and start learning how to work through a question, and the 2nd years made themselves fully available for case practice, interview practice, advice, and resume/coverletter guidance. Beyond MCA, the career center helps prepare students through ACT teams which meet regularly to discuss the logistics of recruiting such as resumes, thank you notes, as well as reviewing how to work on a case. The career center also spent quite a bit bringing Marc Constentino to campus three times to give us one on one case interviews and coach us. Anderson is quite serious about growing its consulting brand and our class is a tribute to that effort with 7 folks going to the big three this year versus 3 a year prior.

In summary, the consulting 'tradition' at UCLA is weaker than finance and entrepreneurship. Anderson is known as a finance/entrepreneurial school and have a huge track record of success in those fields. But are growing rapidly on the strategy front and the school is committed to growing this aspect of Anderson.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
To keep us Anderson folk occupied while we're waiting for our decisions.

https://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft ... 1826502873
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Want love from Anderson. Want love NOW. God I LOATHE this wait... :evil:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
hey Uphill, been anxiously awaiting your decision! Good Luck......at least you don't have to wait 9 months to a year to get a decision like I will since I will be applying in the Fall !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
i want love too...I need to decide so that i can put in my two weeks at work :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
they heard my cry.......I'm in!!!!! :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36