Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 17:55
LOL avi! how come the strangest (and funniest) things always happen to you?? :lol:

Hope you get an admit call soon!!!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 19:38
aviroop wrote:
Gave my interview today.

It was the most hilarious conversation we had.

We talked about GTA 4, economy, election 08, bushisms, microsoft gaming studios, swear words and parties in ucla......

i am sure with an interview like that, i wont be getting into ucla but i ended my season with a bang...

so i asked admissions when i will know the results,, got the usual PC statements. but i am guessing in next 2 weeks. until then its Avi time..

and i got a job offer with an advocacy group in brooklyn.. i will be burning boxers and campaigning outside WTO conventions... if i take the job

Sounds like a pretty interesting interview to me.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 19:39
ncprasad wrote:
bewakoof, maize and blue was pretty obvious, I thought.

Anyways, this was a painful decision and it is fair to say that eventhough Ross was the favorite until 2 weeks ago, UCLA pulled it back to 50-50. During that time, I interacted with a lot of Anderson students and have nothing but great things to say about them. In the end, my wife was given a contingent job offer at the U of M hospital in a specialty position she couldnt refuse. That was the tie-breaker and I will join Ross coming fall...

If you see a middle age semi-heavy guy from norcal at Ross in the fall, say hi to my cousin for me =)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 19:42
Once again UCLA dominated C4C weekend at Stanford a few weeks ago. What we lacked in athletics we made up for in spirit. Can your MBA school do this?
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ucla-anderson-c4c-cheerleading-routine/3629306539
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 20:59
i hope you're not one of the guys in the speedo. :P

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 21:56
I don't see any reason for that interview to have jeopardized your chances...
If anything, from the sound of it..you had a lot of fun/interesting things to talk about..so I'd have to think the interview was good and feel positive about it.

We'll know in a few days...Good Luck.
And yeah...Avi..is your number still the same?

aviroop wrote:
Gave my interview today.

It was the most hilarious conversation we had.

We talked about GTA 4, economy, election 08, bushisms, microsoft gaming studios, swear words and parties in ucla......

i am sure with an interview like that, i wont be getting into ucla but i ended my season with a bang...

so i asked admissions when i will know the results,, got the usual PC statements. but i am guessing in next 2 weeks. until then its Avi time..

and i got a job offer with an advocacy group in brooklyn.. i will be burning boxers and campaigning outside WTO conventions... if i take the job
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 08:59
kk,
my phone no is the same

kryzak,
called u up and left a voice mail on ur phone
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 13:59
kryzak wrote:
i hope you're not one of the guys in the speedo. :P

No speedo, they were short shorts. No I was not one of those dudes lol
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 08:12
Has anyone figured out a ball-park of how UCLA figures who to give their $20,000 scholarships to? I know that they are based purely off GMAT/GPA, but I am wondering about the cut-offs and figures. I have a 3.5 GPA from UG and I am trying to figure out what I need to get on the GMAT to be eligible. I am guessing 770-780 would be sufficient, but I'm wondering if a 750 would be sufficient?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 09:19
terp06 wrote:
Has anyone figured out a ball-park of how UCLA figures who to give their $20,000 scholarships to? I know that they are based purely off GMAT/GPA, but I am wondering about the cut-offs and figures. I have a 3.5 GPA from UG and I am trying to figure out what I need to get on the GMAT to be eligible. I am guessing 770-780 would be sufficient, but I'm wondering if a 750 would be sufficient?

Hey terp - actually, I was told that scholarship $$ is based on a combination of need and merit. Obviously it's to your advantage to score as high as you can on the GMAT, either way, but from what I understand the system isn't set in stone w/the adcoms - ie, a 760 is impressive and would probably aid you in being offered substantial $$, but I heard of two people last round who received $20M scholarships and "only" broke 700 - I think one had 710 and the other had a 700. This is hearsay through friends of friends, but I'm pretty confident of its accuracy. So obviously those folks brought more to the party than their respective GMAT scores...or maybe they were working for non-profits barely making a living wage, and the adcoms thought they merited some extra help.

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 09:46
uphillclimb wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Hey terp - actually, I was told that scholarship $$ is based on a combination of need and merit. Obviously it's to your advantage to score as high as you can on the GMAT, either way, but from what I understand the system isn't set in stone w/the adcoms - ie, a 760 is impressive and would probably aid you in being offered substantial $$, but I heard of two people last round who received $20M scholarships and "only" broke 700 - I think one had 710 and the other had a 700. This is hearsay through friends of friends, but I'm pretty confident of its accuracy. So obviously those folks brought more to the party than their respective GMAT scores...or maybe they were working for non-profits barely making a living wage, and the adcoms thought they merited some extra help.

I was told at an info session, directly from a member of the admissions committee that scholarships are given out 80% based on merit and 20% based on need. The vast majority of them are given out based on solely GPA/GMAT. Call this system flawed as much as you want, but I believe this is what they are using. If you look at the people on this forum that got scholarships - almost all of them are academically strong. Did your friends who had 710-720 scores also have 3.8/3.9 GPAs?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 13:36
I would say someone that the school deem as "must have" by their experience, GMAT, and GPA probably gets the fellowships...

btw, is there a terp06 and a terp26 or are my eyes failing me?

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 14:02
kryzak wrote:
I would say someone that the school deem as "must have" by their experience, GMAT, and GPA probably gets the fellowships...

I was told work experience has nothing to do with it - only GMAT/GPA. Additionally, I think they give out the scholarships before need is even assessed.

You are correct - there are 2 terps on here. I should probably change my user ID :)

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 15:46
terp06 wrote:
uphillclimb wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I was told at an info session, directly from a member of the admissions committee that scholarships are given out 80% based on merit and 20% based on need. The vast majority of them are given out based on solely GPA/GMAT. Call this system flawed as much as you want, but I believe this is what they are using. If you look at the people on this forum that got scholarships - almost all of them are academically strong. Did your friends who had 710-720 scores also have 3.8/3.9 GPAs?

Don't know about their GPA's - I'm guessing they were strong. Still don't know anything about exact cutoffs in terms of scores, etc. - and as always, scoring off the charts is always good but is no guarantee of admission, let alone scholarship $$. Frustrating process, but there it is... :roll:

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 16:20
terp06 wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I was told work experience has nothing to do with it - only GMAT/GPA. Additionally, I think they give out the scholarships before need is even assessed.

You are correct - there are 2 terps on here. I should probably change my user ID :)

Actually, comes down to competitiveness of the applicant. Sure numbers play a large part of that decision, but it is not purely numbers driven. Heck I know of a few people with 76-+ GMATs that didn't even get admitted to Anderson let alone $. I also know someone with a 770+ GMAt that did not get money but is at Anderson.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 14:25
To keep us Anderson folk occupied while we're waiting for our decisions.

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft ... 1826502873
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 05:40
Want love from Anderson. Want love NOW. God I LOATHE this wait... :evil:

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 05:51
hey Uphill, been anxiously awaiting your decision! Good Luck......at least you don't have to wait 9 months to a year to get a decision like I will since I will be applying in the Fall !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 06:38
i want love too...I need to decide so that i can put in my two weeks at work :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 09:47
they heard my cry.......I'm in!!!!! :lol:
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants   [#permalink] 08 May 2008, 09:47