Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2007, 11:45
Anyone applying to UCLA? I'll also be doing them R1, so just wanted to form a "support group" and help each other out.

Not sure when I'll go and visit and sit in some classes, but I'll probably fly there some Wednesday night and check it out Thur/Fri to get a feel of the place. My family is from there, so it's an easy trip for me.

Post here if you're applying and maybe want to meet up! Let's all get in!!! :-D

UCLA Total Stats:
Applicants: 24
Admitted: 8
Waitlisted: 4
Dinged: 8
Unknown: 5
GMATClubbers Matriculating: 1

UCLA Anderson Applicants Status Updated - 4/13/2008
R1

Kryzak - R1 - Accepted with $20K/year
red_s4 - R1 - Accepted
Aviroop - R1 - Waitlisted
notokung - R1 - Dinged
rampup82 - R1 - Dinged
trojan812 - R1 - Dinged
Toploader - R1 - Dinged
gnr646 - R1 - Submitted
yelloww82 - R1 - Submitted

R2
ezd222 - R2 - Matriculating
ncprasad - R2 - Accepted with $10k/yr
kk.iyer - R2 - Accepted
bobo79 - R2 - Accepted
skiC - R2 - Accepted
bewakoof - R2 - Accepted
bherronp - R2 - Waitlisted - withdrawn
johnrt2001 - R2 - Waitlisted
ryguy904 - R2 - Waitlisted w/o Interview
misterJJ2u - R2 - Dinged
majosan - R2 - Dinged
sangoman - R2 - Dinged
duuuma - R2 - Dinged
nick_sun - R2 - Will Submit
dextrous - R2 - submitted
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
I thought I should summarize what I learned about GM and consulting with respect to UCLA. As I said before, it was incredibly tough for me to give up my admit at Anderson. Some of what I write below will show why and also hopefully help future applicants.

General Management

Anderson on campus recruiting does not include a ton of opportunities in general management programs though there are some (Harrah's Entertainment and Chevron both immediately come to mind though I know there were several others). Because training is so specific for consulting recruiting they have a dedicated organization to consulting (Management Consulting Association) that does not focus on general management, internal strategy, and operational roles. SOMA is dedicated to helping their members find jobs/internships in those areas The Parker Career Management Center also would be able to share what companies have recruited on campus in the past for GM and also what programs students/alums have gone to that don't recruit on campus.

Personally, I don't think that the percentage of people coming out of Anderson and going into General Management reflects on Anderson so much as it reflects on the number of opportunities that are out there. I know of one person who is graduating this year and going into a rotational program at Disney. There are also similar rotational programs that are focused in one area of a company rather than multiple areas (ie, Mattel plans to start a supply chain rotational program soon). But overall, Anderson does not have as many companies coming to campus offering rotational programs as Ross does.

Consulting

I wanted to eventually own and operate my own business and for me consulting seemed like the best way to learn and develop the variety of skills necessary to be a successful entrepreneur. UCLA has a great e-ship program and a low profiled consulting program. I was concerned with the lack of consulting tradition and how it would affect my preparation for recruiting. Obviously, the more people focused on a career helps the schools and clubs develop the frameworks(educational and networking) to support students. Probably 10% of students at UCLA are focused on consulting compared to say 75% at Ross. The 10% looks like a small minority but it is an incredibly vocal, visible, and well supported group. That figure most likely only encompasses those who career switched into consulting and not those who have chosen to remain in the field. The MCA and the school does a great job supporting networking, education, and preparation throughout the recruiting process. One of my contacts successfully made the switch from entertainment to consulting at Bain.By the time interviews rolled he already had exposure to recruiters and alums at a lot of great firms (Deloitte S&O, Monitor, ZS, PRTM, Booz-Allen, Archstone, McKinsey, BCG, Mercer, and obviously Bain) and was very well prepared for case interviewing. The said contact, who is going to Bain, had this to say about his experience.

2nd year at Anderson wrote:
MCA put on a whole series of perparation opportunities including case workshops sponsored by three different firms (BCG, Bain, and Deloitte), a Strategy 101 series that met every other week to prepare case concepts and start learning how to work through a question, and the 2nd years made themselves fully available for case practice, interview practice, advice, and resume/coverletter guidance. Beyond MCA, the career center helps prepare students through ACT teams which meet regularly to discuss the logistics of recruiting such as resumes, thank you notes, as well as reviewing how to work on a case. The career center also spent quite a bit bringing Marc Constentino to campus three times to give us one on one case interviews and coach us. Anderson is quite serious about growing its consulting brand and our class is a tribute to that effort with 7 folks going to the big three this year versus 3 a year prior.

In summary, the consulting 'tradition' at UCLA is weaker than finance and entrepreneurship. Anderson is known as a finance/entrepreneurial school and have a huge track record of success in those fields. But are growing rapidly on the strategy front and the school is committed to growing this aspect of Anderson.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
bewakoof wrote:
How long after submitting your app, Kry did you get your interview invite?

Any from the 2nd round who got their interview invites?/

Bewakoof, I can also answer from my experience. I submitted my application on 10/22 (the R1 deadline) and received an interview invite on 11/29. I interviewed the next week on 12/6.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2008, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks everyone for the comments. Here's how I break down Ross and UCLA.

My career goal is to go into General Management and Consulting in the short-term with an eye on entrepreneurship in the medium to long term. Given that I have some well-matured business ideas and also some background in running a small business,I may even venture to launch my own business, based in India or US or in both places, immediately upon graduation.

Academics

Ross is very strong at general management and corporate strategy - my focus areas. I like how their strategy program has been implemented and am highly impressed by the professors who teach the classes. Ross probably has the edge in the fields that I am interested in.

On the other hand, UCLA has a more flexible program that will allow me to tailor my MBA and only pick courses that I really need. At Ross, I will probably have to "waste" a few courses. That said, the quality of the classes at Ross was a notch above the ones I attended at UCLA and the students appeared to be sharper at Ross.

Advantage : Ross.

Hands-on learning

Both schools provide great opportunities to implement what is taught in class. Ross's MAP program is the heart of its MBA program and is well-regarded by both students and recruiters. UCLA has an equally good AMR program with ample room for hands-on learning.

Advantage : None.

Research Insititutes

From an e-ship perspective, both ZLI center at Ross and Price Center at UCLA are fantastic resources for operational support, inspiration and encouragement. In my mind, there is negligible difference here.

Rankings

Ross has a very slight edge in terms of reputation within the US and in India. Coupled with a HUGE and PASSIONATE alumni network, Ross seems to come out on top in this aspect.

Advantage : Ross.

Financial Considerations
UCLA tuition : $40k for 2 years
Ross tuition : $86k for 2 years

AA's lower cost of living(random example, I had subway during my trip to AA - $2.79 for a $4.10 sandwich in CA) and lower rent mitigates the situation somewhat. UCLA will probably be cheaper by 15-20K. However, CitiAssist has a guaranteed loan program at Michigan and I will probably get a better interest rate at Ross in comparison to UCLA. UCLA told me that they are still negotiating rates with lenders who I suspect will be wary about extending loans in this economy. Also, because of my I-485 status and no-visa situation, I dont know for sure that I will get in-state tuition at UCLA. UCLA told me that I shouldn't have trouble, but thats no guarantee.

The move to UCLA will cost me less. I have a new car which I cannot sell now. I will have to transport to AA(will cost around $2500) and re-register etc. Again, minor costs that add up if I decide to go to Michigan.

Advantage : UCLA with some room for debate.

Career Stats/Opportunities

In my mind, very little difference between the schools in this aspect. Ross probably has a small advantage for GM and consulting jobs.However, a UCLA fellowhip on my resume may get the attention of companies during recruiting and help me get my foot in the door. I prefer to work on the West Coast where UCLA enjoys a tremendous advantage but not in the areas I am interested in. That said, I will probably prefer going into the industry of my choice(advantage Ross) rather than working in a location I want(advantage UCLA).

So, Advantage : Debatable.

Buildings/Facilities

UCLA has an amazing location with world-class facilities. Ross will soon have a world-class facility of its own by the end of this year. And I will get first use of those facilities.

Culture/Fit

Here, Ross is head and shoulders above UCLA. I have been to Ross more than 3 times in the last year and have made very good friends and contacts. My wife has been to AA 2 times and she loves the town and the friendly people there, but she also hates the weather. UCLA is a small speck on the LA landscape and I suspect there isn't as much collobaration between students outside of school. At Ross, the football team and the school-town atmosphere permeates everywhere and people are very gung-ho about AA and U-M. Personally, I love Michigan football and will tremendously enjoy my time there. Also, GBR was fantastic and I know I will be at home in AA just based on my interactions with other admits and their families. My wife said she felt very comfortable at AA and eventhough her background is vastly incompatible with most of the other partners, she enjoyed the interactions very much and feels she will be happy. Childcare is right next door to the apartment we picked out in AA. In LA, I am not sure how difficult/expensive child care and pre-school will be.

Finally, UCLA sent my decision very late and therefore denied me the opportunity to attend A-days. So, I dont have much to go on here. I still think LA with the proximity to Artesia and disney land etc will be great place for my son to spend two years in lovely weather. But, if I have to pick UCLA, I will have to do so without having good grasp of the culture at UCLA.

Advantage : Ross, by miles.

Weather
No arguments here. UCLA beats Ross easily.

Advantage : UCLA, by several celsius.

Any comments?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
Can anyone comment on UCLA's IB placement in areas other than CA? It seems that 9-12% of the class successfully go into the field, but the stats on the website are not clear what location these grads end up in. Since almost 80% of the class stays in CA, I am wondering how easy or hard it is to get an IB job in NYC, Chicago, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I am an '09 applicant trying to narrow down my list. I am pretty sure of 4 of the 5 schools I am planning to apply to. The 5th spot will probably be either UCLA, Cornell, or Michigan.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 174 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
maverick2011 wrote:
Can anyone comment on UCLA's IB placement in areas other than CA? It seems that 9-12% of the class successfully go into the field, but the stats on the website are not clear what location these grads end up in. Since almost 80% of the class stays in CA, I am wondering how easy or hard it is to get an IB job in NYC, Chicago, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I am an '09 applicant trying to narrow down my list. I am pretty sure of 4 of the 5 schools I am planning to apply to. The 5th spot will probably be either UCLA, Cornell, or Michigan.

A current student told me the following: UCLA is a strong finance school with a good placement record in IB. However, only a small percentage of the class is really interested in doing IB - a lot more is interested in consulting, entertainment, and marketing. For the ones that are focused and determined to get IB - they generally get it.

As far as placement within CA or NYC, he told me that most firms love to take UCLA students and have them work in NYC. The issue at play here is simple supply and demand. There are a lot more openings available in NYC than there are UCLA students who want to work in NYC. Most UCLA students want to stay in California, and there are less openings in California than there are in NYC. As far as placements into Chicago - I'm really unsure. I can understand why you would want to work in NYC over California, but I can't come up with any logical reason you'd want to work in Chicago over LA/SF unless you have family/friends there or have a particular love for serving conservative/old line industrials-oriented clients.

IMO, if you want to work in California - UCLA > Cornell and Michigan by a longshot. If you want to work in NYC - Michigan > UCLA > Cornell. My reasoning for putting UCLA ahead of Cornell on NYC is due to the level of competition at Cornell for NYC IB positions compared to UCLA.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 21:52
btw, am I the only one who finds that UCLA is cutting it close for opening class visits in October and having R1 due October 24th? Hopefully I can get some students who returned early to show me around end of September, so I can get some intel into my essays.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 16:24
Ya, I was hoping to apply for R1, but I can't make it till to visit until late october. I'll be applying R2.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 19:35
I'm in for UCLA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 09:33
hey guys, good luck applying to Anderson.
classes don't start until october 1st, but I know all first years, like myself, will be in orientation from sept 17-28... thus, lots of people will be on campus.

also another piece of advice for those applying to Anderson... keep checking the interview scheduler and schedule one as soon as you see a slot open; they fill up very quickly. don't count on them assigning you an alumni interview in your area, even if you think you have godly stats.

i'll try my best to keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions that come up.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 09:43
thank you for the reply polobrute and congrats on getting into Anderson!

A few questions:

1. So UCLA doesn't do "interview by invitations only", and we have to schedule one whenever the scheduler is open?

2. Any tips for UCLA applicants? Does UCLA have any quirks that differ from other schools like Haas and Stanford?

3. Their essays are not out yet, what were they like last year?

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 13:39
kryzak wrote:
1. So UCLA doesn't do "interview by invitations only", and we have to schedule one whenever the scheduler is open?

i am a part of the incoming class of 09. for us, we had two choices: we could either schedule our own interview with them, or we could wait for them to extend an invitation to an alumni interview. however, it appears Anderson has changed their policy this upcoming year, and it is now "by invitation only".
kryzak wrote:
2. Any tips for UCLA applicants? Does UCLA have any quirks that differ from other schools like Haas and Stanford?

just like all schools, it truly pays to visit. I was told that the admissions office keeps notes in your application file about whether you came to campus or not. my belief is that Anderson's yield rate isn't very good. lots of awesome candidates apply to it as a safety school because it's a sweet place to spend two years and is considered an elite program; but when the candidate gets into a higher ranked school, it's "bye bye anderson". obviously they think you are more serious if you take the time to visit.
Also, during your interview, DO NOT tell them you are interested in Anderson because you want to live in LA. it's like telling a supermodel that you think she's hot. duh, she already knows she's hot! instead, try to be more informed on the curriculum and/or clubs.
kryzak wrote:
3. Their essays are not out yet, what were they like last year?

Anderson essays were probably the easiest I did last year (i also applied to Harvard, Mich, and Chicago). no word limits, but rather page limits. so in addition to editting for content, i also fudged with font sizes and margins. Personally, i went with 11.5point serif font with .9" margins. All the questions were pretty standard (why mba, describe a leadership role, etc), and were only 1 to 2 pages in length, with 1.5line spacing. very short.

good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 15:49
thanks so much for the tips polobrute!

I plan on visiting September 19th and 21st. The only problem is that classes don't start yet. I hope there will be some students around at that time for me to talk to. The reason I'm visiting so "early" is because I'm in the area that week, and also I want to get something on the essays before the deadline (10/22) comes. I did read somewhere that it kinda sucks that Anderson's school year starts so late, since a lot of recruiters recruit in october and the Anderson students barely have time to prepare.

I fully agree not to say "I want to live in LA", but I actually grew up there, so I don't really have a super urge to go back or anything. I will have to find out more about them. If only they would send me their viewbook... I've been requesting it for a while now.

Thanks again for the tips on interviews and essays! Sounds like a good application to warm me up for the harder ones like Berkeley and Stanford.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 16:08
Alright, just called the Anderson Admissions office, and I must say I was a little disappointed with the services they offer. Maybe this is true for all schools?

Anyway, I asked about visiting the week of 9/17, before classes start, but other than the infosession 9/19, they said the students won't be back yet and the student ambassador might not be ready to give any tours.

Then I asked whether I can get in contact with a student or some student groups to talk about what they do, and they said the only way is to submit a visit request online.

Finally I asked about any alumni contacts and whether I can contact one of them or not, but they said their alumni are busy and I can ask questions at the infosession, and there's no way to really reach them.

So other than infosessions, and class visits with student ambassadors (after October 1st, with their Rd1 deadline of October 22nd), there's not much one can do to learn more about the school unless you know some people already.

Any ideas?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 23:31
I went to the UCLA student information session in April 2007, when people were still doing the R4 rounds. The information session is pretty good but some of the students ask such dumb ass questions that its really hard to stay still. Here are my top 5 questions, that I heard that made my blood boil.

1. I cannot get my recommendation letter from my employer. Who shall I get it from? (Try the local pimp - he can be a good source)

2. How expensive is to stay in LA? (its LA.. no answers.. UCLA is located technically in the vicinity of Bel Air and Beverly Hills)

3. Where are the good nightclubs? (what the f&&& are you doing in an information session)

4. How expensive is parking in LA? (Time to sell that piece of sh%% you are driving so you dont have to park anywhere)

5. Will I get scholarships/grants/loans? (Ask your sugar mama/daddy for advice)

One piece of info I heard, which I cannot corroborate is that UCLA does not admit students with GMAT below 630 - that is what they show on their powerpoint slides, but whether it is the official school policy or insider information leaked officially by students, that remains to be found out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 07:33
wow, those are some bad questions aviroop! :-D

they don't accept people with <630 GMAT? I'll see if they still show it on their slides and maybe I'll ask that question.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:17
Kryzak,
Definitely ask that question about the GMAT scores - I clearly know this, coz the student presentor emphasized upon it.

He said that chances of getting into UCLA are very slim, if GMAT scores are below 630.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:19
I wonder with UCLA's previous years' high acceptance rate, would it be considered a "safety" school because of that?

I heard they usually announce in mid-December (even though their website says mid-Jan) if you apply R1, so I would love to know that I got into a good B-school before Xmas. :)

Last edited by kryzak on 24 Jul 2007, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:55
I'm applying for the Fall 2008 FEMBA program. The 630 nugget of information is good to know. It might not be hard and fast, but its nice to be aware there might be a floor to their GMAT scores for potential students.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 10:41
UCLA is also my safety school - The best bet is to attend one of the information sessions and evaluate the potential applicants who come to these sessions. Everybody talks about their backgrounds, so you can compare yourself against the rest and take steps to see that your essay shows how different you are from the rest.

UCLA is an odd mix - its a safety school for students aiming in the top 7.
Again its a high ranked school for those who are targetting in the middle range. So there is competition...

Guess. there is nothing like a "safe school"..
  [#permalink] 23 Jul 2007, 10:41