Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 07:34
I am assuming (because of the above blog excerpt) that UCLA will unleash the interview invites in bulk some time this week or next. Frustrating, yes.....worrisome, not yet. :)

GandalftheGrey wrote:
Still no word from Anderson... This is frustrating... Does anybody know the deadline of the R2 "mid decision" phase? In other words, till when should I expect to receive an interview invite?

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 12:15
got the email: interview invite. will do on-campus, probably 17th of feb.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 12:46
Hi,

I'm doing an on-campus interview as well, (I'll be flying in) and I was wondering how long it takes from LAX to the campus around 10 am on weekdays. I'll have about an hour and a half from the time I land until the scheduled interview time. I know there are various transportation options from the airport, but I'll most likely take a cab.

Thank you for your help.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 14:15
amsf wrote:
Hi,

I'm doing an on-campus interview as well, (I'll be flying in) and I was wondering how long it takes from LAX to the campus around 10 am on weekdays. I'll have about an hour and a half from the time I land until the scheduled interview time. I know there are various transportation options from the airport, but I'll most likely take a cab.

Thank you for your help.

It took me about 1.5 hrs (15 mi) from the airport but I rented a car. It should be less if you take a cab but you can't trust traffic on 405 especially during rush hour.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 15:33
amsf wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Wow, including airport and travel time and stuff, you're cutting it close. You're gonna take at least an hour from the time you land to the time. You're really too close for comfort for me at least.

I would say 1.5 hours is too close.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1532 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 15:40
amsf wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Per google maps:
13.7 mi – about 21 mins (up to 1 hour 10 mins in traffic)

Cutting it close.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 16:47
amsf wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I make the commute from Westwood to LAX area in the morning at 7 AM (much earlier). LAX is notorious for late luggage (especially if you make connections). LA rush-hour lasts until about 10-1030. I think you should get there in an hour.
I'd make it a point to get the admissions phone number in case you are getting late.

DEFINATELY take a cab. The super shuttles are an adventure not worth having if you are short on time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 13:25
Thanks olive, didn't realize that merit fellowships worked this way at UCLA. +1
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 14:41
got an interview yesterday. going down to interview in LA on feb 19th.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 14:55
I wonder if UCLA has seen a drop in R2 applications...it seems other schools have. If so does this mean that us waitlisters will get off? And if we get off...I wonder if we would get a fellowship.

Off of waitlist, and getting offered a fellowship seem unlikely. Although UCLA was a top choice going into the process, I've been contemplating withdrawing from waitlist as it seems unlikely I'll go unless I get offered some money. I suppose no harm in waiting though.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 06:00
Had my interview today with an alumni. I think it went very well. I'm planning on changing careers, so he had several questions about how much I understood about my prospective career, as well as why UCLA. Anyhow, I think (hope) it went very well. Nothing to do now but wait. Good luck all.

http://bent.tw

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 1305 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 23:18
I had my interview on-campus today. In the letter it said 10:00-10:30 with a 2nd year student. Despite the impressive traffic I get to the parking structure at 9:15. It is $3 per hour so I pay for 2 hrs thinking it's more than enough. I get to admissions at 9:45 and got asked politely to have a seat and offered water. Apparently they interview 2 applicants a block as there is another person waiting for her interview at 10:00 as well. Her interviewer 2nd year student comes and gets her at 9:55. I wait until 10:20 and still nothing. I am starting to get worried about my car since if I get towed I'm all screwed as I had another appointment in LA that day. Then one of the admissions directors comes, introduces herself and nicely asks me to step into her office for my interview. I inquire about the 2nd year student and apparently they didn't show up. It's totally fine with me, I'm just worried about my car. So, I explained the sitch and asked if she wanted me to go pay for more time and then come back....but that would take 10 min. She said we'll be done before 11 so I'll be fine. Despite the somewhat chaotic sitch until now, we had a pretty good chat (I at least enjoyed it) and were done at 10:55 so I got to my car on time and made it to my other appointment in that area at 11:30. The interview was pretty standard, similar to what others have written. The one thing that bothered me a little was that she didn't make any effort to sell me UCLA. There was not much talking from her outside of asking me questions and answering a couple of mine about the cirriculum at the end. I find this strange since even Stanford interviewers (which is by far the most selective school in the world) make a significant effort to sell you on to the school.
Overall, I'm happy with how it went. For me, this was a better interview than the one I had with UCSD last week. Of course, the interviewer may be of a completely opposite opinion. When I asked at the end when would I expect to hear from them she said "by March 27th you will know"....Well, duhh, that's the absolute notification deadline for R2 but what about that "rolling admission" policy? Or, does that mean a ding already? :P
Oh yeah, at around 10:20 when she came to get me, the interviewees scheduled for 10:30 had already arrived.....Seems this school has a very very healthy pipeline and maybe that explains their somewhat, um let's politely say, busy attitude.
Beautiful beautiful campus....but it's surrounded by the most congested area (traffic-wise) in the world.
Let's see what happens. With the millions waitlisted from R1, R2 will probably give Stanford a run for its money. :-D

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 15:13
Nice blog Chineseburned.

How many folks have received interview invites from submission on 1/7?
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 76345

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 17:33
Even though I'm not attending UCLA - I feel like I have to do a mini-shout out for the school.

The current students who've contacted me have been absolutely great. Really insightful and energetic about the campus experience, recruiting presence, and advice about my career goals in relation to specific types of industry presence on campus. The group of admits are really active in getting together, and the admit weekend sounds like a lot of fun. I know people like to bash the admissions office, etc. but I've had a great experience overall with this school and am sad they didn't give me any scholarship money! Since Booth did give me a nice merit scholarship I swayed to Booth instead.

:)
Good luck to those applying in R2!!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago, MIT, NYU, UCLA

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 04:33
Raabend wrote:
I am assuming (because of the above blog excerpt) that UCLA will unleash the interview invites in bulk some time this week or next. Frustrating, yes.....worrisome, not yet. :)

GandalftheGrey wrote:
Still no word from Anderson... This is frustrating... Does anybody know the deadline of the R2 "mid decision" phase? In other words, till when should I expect to receive an interview invite?

Still no word... Are we in the worrisome phase yet? :?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 06:27
*a little* worried now. OY VEY!

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 07:35
Raabend wrote:
*a little* worried now. OY VEY!

Here is a quote from the BW forum. It was made by Nina, a current student who is apparently involved with the school's adcom:

"I know that its frustrating, but the admissions office is getting invitations out as quickly as they can. I cannot iterate enough that the date of interview invitation has no relationship with the date of application. For Round 2 applicants, if you have not received an invite by the end of February, it is unlikely that you will be invited. I will periodically check in with the admissions office and let you know if that date changes."

So, I believe that there is no room for an OY VEY yet...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 07:43
UCLA adcom is probably just discussing how super awesome we both are....im sure the invites will come soon 8-)

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 16:25
Got the interview invite! :-D
Raabend- I am crossing my fingers real tight for you dude - you're next
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 16:58
In the meantime, what are the R1 waitlisted ppl doing??? Mailing the adcom every week or so?? Just dropping by every hour or so?? WHAT???

P.S: A WL myself, I've just sat on my a$$ till now ; not done anything. Yes I know that's bad......... Inviting suggestions on how often to contact the adcom.........

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2009, 16:58