Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:18
I'm in for R1. This is my only realistic school, I would be disappointed and surprised if I don't get in. Every other school is a reach.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:37
jb32 wrote:
Well, it's the optional essay and I have to essentially explain two failing grades in two seperate semesters. I used 132 words for the first grade and then 157 for the second and 38 to wrap it up = 327 total. The problem is that I have actual reasons around my grades that I need to explain.

did you fail each class for completely different reasons? If the reasons are at all similar, I would try to explain both together.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 13:45
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you need to explain in such detail. Unless an immediate member of your family died or got cancer at that time, the reasons are all the same, you sucked (it's the same reason for my failed grades). You just need to acknowledge it and express clearly in the rest of your app that you are not that failure anymore.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 14:26
Well there wouldn't be much of a point in writing the essay at all if I were just going to say I sucked. I'm not making excuses in my essay, just puting in some context around the circumstances, which makes me feel better. :wink:
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 14:47
jb32 wrote:
Well there wouldn't be much of a point in writing the essay at all if I were just going to say I sucked. I'm not making excuses in my essay, just puting in some context around the circumstances, which makes me feel better. :wink:

I'm not arguing for one way or another on whether to submit an optional essay discussing your grades, but here's something else to keep in mind: Do you want to end your application on a bad note?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 15:33
I'm no expert on applying but putting context can easily take 2 sentences instead of 150 words.

Everyone's reasons are the same - you were working 40 hrs a week, unmotivated, wrong crowd, undisciplined, kicking ass in other classes at the same time, took 20 units, psycho girlfriend, whatever. Does the reason really matter? It's more important how you reflect on it.

It's like an ex-criminal - would you prefer a guy who says, yeah I did it, Im not proud of it, I messed up and I won't do it again, or some guy who can give you 100 reasons why he was framed?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 21:57
jb32 wrote:
Well, it's the optional essay and I have to essentially explain two failing grades in two seperate semesters. I used 132 words for the first grade and then 157 for the second and 38 to wrap it up = 327 total. The problem is that I have actual reasons around my grades that I need to explain.

I attended an info session at UCLA last week and adcom mentioned that exceeding the word limit by around 10% is fine. I'm not sure if she was joking when she mentioned that it's better to go over the word limit then to be under the limit by even few words.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 22:02
Some numbers that are not on the website from last week's information session

Adcom mentioned that last year they interviewed about 28% of applicants and admitted 75% of interviewed candidates. This year they have not decided but they expect to interview a larger percentage of applicants. My guess is they are expecting an increase in number and quality of the applicants.
Current Student
Schools: Michigan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 07:58
I'll echo that UCLA admissions does seem a bit disorganized. I visited the campus last year, and just wandered around lost trying to find their info session. Front desk people weren't especially helpful.

That said...I've submitted my application about two weeks ago and I am hoping to hear back with an interview soon. Intereste primarily in healthcare and operations. I have an engineering background, work at a medical device company now.

I found the essays this year to be more focused on personal qualities than work experiences. In fact all my business school applications had the standard "leadership experience at work" question. Absent from UCLA. UCLA application seemed a bit more touchy-feely.
Director
Director

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 08:29
What are people planning to do about essay #4? Are you doing the audio, and if so how do you plan to record your speech? Do you think you would be at a disadvantage to submit the 250 word essay instead?
Current Student
Schools: Michigan

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 00:00
I used garage band on my mac. Took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to use it, and it even let me edit and cut-out audio sections. Highly recommend that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 21:24
Anyone doing anything unusual? Singing, sound effects, rap? I swear, I bet more than 10% will be rapped or parody sung.
Director
Director

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 11:19
Nothing unusual for me.

Just to let everyone know, I have submitted for Round 1!!! One down and two more R1's to go.
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 07:09
jb32 wrote:
Nothing unusual for me.

Just to let everyone know, I have submitted for Round 1!!! One down and two more R1's to go.

I submitted mine yesterday as well...
Director
Director

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 12:07
You know, I think they just train the receptionist at the admissions office to say no to everything. They are about as unhelpful as anyone can possibly be. I submitted my app yesterday, but realized I submitted the wrong version of essay #3. The right version was only a sentance or two different and not necessarily wrong in any way, just that the new version answered the why UCLA now question better. So I asked if there was any way to update my app, and her short and sweet answer was no. No attempt to help or anything, just no. Seems the reputation of the admissions office is well deserved!! If I am offered admission, the coldness of the staff is something I plan to change while at school. I'm not sure how, but it will be changed...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 05:52
jb32 wrote:
You know, I think they just train the receptionist at the admissions office to say no to everything. They are about as unhelpful as anyone can possibly be. I submitted my app yesterday, but realized I submitted the wrong version of essay #3. The right version was only a sentance or two different and not necessarily wrong in any way, just that the new version answered the why UCLA now question better. So I asked if there was any way to update my app, and her short and sweet answer was no. No attempt to help or anything, just no. Seems the reputation of the admissions office is well deserved!! If I am offered admission, the coldness of the staff is something I plan to change while at school. I'm not sure how, but it will be changed...

lol..... nice to see a resolved, angry young man!!! Bravo!!! Go for it......

Folks, I m in for R1..... just went poorer by $175...... :wink:

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 07:46
I'm in for R1, will...submit...tonight....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 11:56
Damn, it feels good to be in for R1.

I'm hoping that lots of recent layoffs won't be able to get their apps in for R1. I guess that only helps assuming they don't shrink the number of acceptances accordingly. Does anyone know if they admit about the same number in each round year to year? Or do you think they might increase the size of later rounds?
Director
Director

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 11:06
Looks like interview invites will begin being sent out this week according to the UCLA admissions blog:

http://uclaanderson.typepad.com/mba_admissions/

Good luck to you if you submitted an app!
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 11:41
jb32 wrote:
Looks like interview invites will begin being sent out this week according to the UCLA admissions blog:

http://uclaanderson.typepad.com/mba_admissions/

Good luck to you if you submitted an app!

Wow that's early! My status shows received, anybody else have a different one?
Re: Calling UCLA Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2008, 11:41