Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Came back from test today(2/11).....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:59
went to bed ~11 last night, got up 6 and got to test center ~7:20 so chilled in the car for 30mins. Drank a 5hour energy before exam and felt great throughout the 4 hours.

AWA:
Analysis question is about comparing current and previous mayors - not too bad. The argument question is about how effective celebrities are in social behaviors or something...

Math:
I felt decent about the math during the exam. Honestly, the MGMAT CAT's math were harder than this. There seemed to be more PS than DS. There was like ~6 geometry problems and no probability/combination questions at all. There was a couple of "weird" questions like factorials and sequence but not one question i felt "omg wth is the answer".

Verbal:
I actually felt very good throughout the verbal - there were 3 reading sections covering politics, science and history. I was even giddy at the end thinking i wont have to take another test....

then i saw my score....

quant: 48
verbal 29
total 640

i almost said wtf aloud. I am sure there are a lot (even read some stories here) of people who also thought he/she did great but came crushing down. One thing is confirmed though - i probably dont need much more help on math....

"luckily", i am applying for next year so i have quite a bit of time to retest and i am planning to enroll in knewton to get it kicked off - if i get a 690 i would be content. I know i need ~700 to have a chance to get into Yale. Yale is my top choice since my parents work there and i could get tuition reduction and live at home to save tons of expenses..

i am depressed but slightly optimistic..

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 12:39
Just be optimist and work hard on verbal and surely you can improve.

Keep us updated.

If you dont mind could you please tell what u drank...lol 5 hour petrol?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 12:58
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Just be optimist and work hard on verbal and surely you can improve.

Keep us updated.

If you dont mind could you please tell what u drank...lol 5 hour petrol?

its just called "5 hour energy". you probably seen commercials about it how it doesnt have the sugary crash like other energy drinks....

To those who got 700+s... If my quant stays the same, do i pretty much need a high 30 to get a 700 or near it? the graph seems to indicate so. If that's the case how many "wrongs" can i afford? just kinda freaked out on verbal now...

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:47
Expert's post
Not a terrible score but not something to feel good about either
Looks like your quant is almost perfect and verbal should be the focucs - you are half way there - get some english fiction books and read the heck out of it for 2 months - you should get to 700 level just with that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:52
bb wrote:
Not a terrible score but not something to feel good about either
Looks like your quant is almost perfect and verbal should be the focucs - you are half way there - get some english fiction books and read the heck out of it for 2 months - you should get to 700 level just with that.

from the grid isnt it possible to get like a 53 for math - thats getting every single ques correct right? i dont think i have seen many 50+s for quants/verbals here though.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 23:33
Expert's post
51 is strongly believed as the max for both Math and Verbal.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 06:02
on the book reading part... the list you gave are old classics (good ones but i read them all). so in general is it anything goes (obviously adult fiction/nonfiction) or there should be a specific genre to stick to for "better grammar" ?thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 22

Re: Came back from test today(2/11)..... [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 08:35
We sail pretty much in the same waters!!!!

My strategy to attack verbal is to treat it like quant. I am fairly good at quant, I believe as good as you are. When I see a quant question, I know already what's the way to get to the solution. Otherwise, I take a quick moment to think and get to the right procedure to be able to compute the solution. Verbal, on the other hand is a dreadful nightmare!!!!

Glad I found this forum and since then, have been actively solving verbal questions. Also, the resources suggested in this forum are world-class, especially for folks with verbal weaknesses. My strategy to solve SC questions is by reading the sentence like a little kid in a book-reading competition. It take a minute to solve, but you can quickly figure out what is wrong with the sentence, if you have been speaking english since your childhood despite, you were not a native speaker, like me. And my strategy to solve CR questions is to blindly follow PowerScore strategies. Especially, to identify the imperfect options and eliminate them quickly, so what you remain with is a good option. It's a two phase process, segregate the given options into contenders and losers and then, apply the elimination techniques for each question stem type on the contenders to get to the final answer.

Wish you all the very best and may you achieve your dream score!!!! GMAT on the whole is all about identifying 5 traps with the questions and the options and proceeding quickly with the one correct option by eliminating as many of the others as possible.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Re: Came back from test today(2/11).....   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2010, 08:35