Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [183]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [24]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [23]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [20]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shonakshi wrote:
Can sum1 pls explain y is option E wrong ?

Conditional perfect "would have" is used for a hypothetical instance that never happened in the past.

IF Sophie HAD EATEN pizza yesterday, THEN she WOULD HAVE BECOME ill.
IF Past Perfect, THEN Conditional Perfect (example from Manhattan GMAT)

The above statement implies that Sophie did not eat Pizza yesterday and did not become ill.

Camille Claudet actually conceived and executed, hence use of conditional perfect is wrong.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [6]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’ [#permalink]
Kudos
196. Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’s with the sculptor Auguste Rodin; since there are very few signed works of hers, the inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.(
(A) inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period
(B) conclusion of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period seems inescapable
(C) conclusion seems inescapable that part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet
(D) conclusion of part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet seems inescapable
(E) seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period

C. or E. on first blush. A,B, and D. are very awkward and certainly not correct. So, now what is the difference? Which has a flaw or even a partial flaw. okay E seems to have the 'would have conceived and executed' where no subjunctive is called for. C. it reads better and I don't see a flaw.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos. (one more needed)
Thanks,
Skip
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 313
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [2]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Bookmarks
seem is a special verb.

seem+adjective

in this pattern the subject of seem is real
you seem tired to do this job

it seem that you are good at gmat.

in this pattern, it is fake subject.

so , that-clause can go with seem verb if the subject is fake.

in choice C. the subject is real so, seem can not go with that-clause.

c is wrong grammatically.

Am I right?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
seem is a special verb.

seem+adjective

in this pattern the subject of seem is real
you seem tired to do this job

it seem that you are good at gmat.

in this pattern, it is fake subject.

so , that-clause can go with seem verb if the subject is fake.

in choice C. the subject is real so, seem can not go with that-clause.

c is wrong grammatically.

Am I right?

"That" clause may go even with a "real" subject:
Here "that" refers to a "real" SUBJECT, and instead of the "fake" placeholder "it", an actual noun is used: "conclusion". Read the sentence as follows:

The conclusion (that part of production was conceived by Camille) seems inescapable.

Ideally the "that" clause should have been next to "conclusion".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
shonakshi wrote:

Conditional perfect "would have" is used for a hypothetical instance that never happened in the past.

The above statement implies that Sophie did not eat Pizza yesterday and did not become ill.

Camille Claudet actually conceived and executed, hence use of conditional perfect is wrong.

Can you explain why (B) is wrong?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
aghosh54 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
shonakshi wrote:

Can you explain why (B) is wrong?

In B, the implication is that the conclusion was made by Claudet ( "conclusion of Claudet") - the part "conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period" modifies Claudet. The basic structure (after removing the modifier) of this clause is "conclusion of Claudet seems inescapable" - this construction does not make any sense.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Pre-thinking - Any thing after ';' must be a full sentence. Here two clauses are combined. First is dependent clause as it is started with since, SV pair is there. Post ',' it must be independent clause, another SV pair with independent meaning.

a. inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin's enormous production of that period --- Main essence of this sentence is conclusion seems to be something. What is something? "one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin's enormous production of that period." --- this part should have another verb. "one of Claudet" --- this does not make sense.

b. conclusion of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin's enormous production of that period seems inescapable ---- Meaning is Conclusion of Something seems inescapable. 'conceiving and executing' is modifying part. I don't like the meaning of it at all.

c. conclusion seems inescapable that part of Rodin's enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet --- Meaning : a part of rodin's production was done by Camille. meaning and grammar is all right.

d. conclusion of part of Rodin's enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet seems inescapable --- again making conclusion out of something else.

e. seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin's enormous production of that period. --- I have almost select this option and then i saw 'would have'. inescapable and would have makes it redundant. Would have will change the meaning too.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [4]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Bookmarks
For a detail understanding of would have, could have and should have
Attachments

E3483FCB-75A1-477C-B1B5-2EC244003527_w1597_n_r0_s.png
E3483FCB-75A1-477C-B1B5-2EC244003527_w1597_n_r0_s.png [ 83.6 KiB | Viewed 27603 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
BrightOutlookJenn wrote:
We find many SC questions that ask us to choose between something like the following:
* The scientists' belief in the rapidly increasing global temperatures inspired two articles ...
* The scientists' belief that global temperatures are rapidly increasing inspired two articles ...

See the split here? While both idioms are correct [belief in noun, and belief that subject + verb], GMAT will usually prefer the second one when you have an idea that is too "heavy" to pack into a noun and would be better expressed with a verb.
When there really is an action, GMAT will prefer to express that with a real, conjugated verb, instead of turning that verb into an adjective and piling it on top of a noun.

Hi BrightOutlookJenn

Can you please provide few official examples which follow the above principle

Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos