Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Campus Visit With Spouse? [#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
For those of you with significant others, did you go solo on your campus visits or did you bring your partner? I've only visited schools during preview weekends where spouses were invited, but I don't know what the proper procedure is when simply doing a campus visit/interview session.

I brought my fiancee with me on every trip. She is spending two years there and will want to be involved with the partners clubs and such. It is a very big decision for her as well, so I did not view it as optional but a necessity. The school should offer sessions for her and also have her join you for lunch/tour. So in short, yes I would bring her and have her contact the partners club or school so she can receive information/meeting with the school for her.

Did she go to the class visit with you as well? I totally agree with you that the significant other should be involved as much as possible, but I also don't want to look clingy like we're attached at the hip. I don't know, i'm probably being paranoid.

What is the partner supposed to do when you're interviewing? Just sit in the waiting room?
Current Student
Send PM
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
For those of you with significant others, did you go solo on your campus visits or did you bring your partner? I've only visited schools during preview weekends where spouses were invited, but I don't know what the proper procedure is when simply doing a campus visit/interview session.

I brought my fiancee with me on every trip. She is spending two years there and will want to be involved with the partners clubs and such. It is a very big decision for her as well, so I did not view it as optional but a necessity. The school should offer sessions for her and also have her join you for lunch/tour. So in short, yes I would bring her and have her contact the partners club or school so she can receive information/meeting with the school for her.

Did she go to the class visit with you as well? I totally agree with you that the significant other should be involved as much as possible, but I also don't want to look clingy like we're attached at the hip. I don't know, i'm probably being paranoid.

What is the partner supposed to do when you're interviewing? Just sit in the waiting room?

No, schools do not want your spouse with you at the class session or interview. This is when she sat with the partners association president or rep and they talked about her life there and such. She enjoyed all the meetings she had. I would suggest having her email the president of the club informing her of the visit and see what they recommend. Most of the time they will meet up on campus and the rep from the club will have information for her and give her a realistic idea of what life is like.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bringing your spouse/partner will be viewed positively.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

No, schools do not want your spouse with you at the class session or interview. This is when she sat with the partners association president or rep and they talked about her life there and such. She enjoyed all the meetings she had. I would suggest having her email the president of the club informing her of the visit and see what they recommend. Most of the time they will meet up on campus and the rep from the club will have information for her and give her a realistic idea of what life is like.

So should I facilitate my fiancee's activities through the partners club and not through the admissions people organizing my visit? Should I let admissions know that she is coming?
Current Student
Send PM
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

So should I facilitate my fiancee's activities through the partners club and not through the admissions people organizing my visit? Should I let admissions know that she is coming?

You need to let the admissions people know she is coming so they will include her in the tour and lunch. I would not facilitate her visit any further than that. You should give her the information and let her take control with the partners club as it is going to be her club and not yours when/if you attend their. Plus, I think if you contact the partners club all they are going to do is ask for her contact info and want to speak with her.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
squali83 wrote:
You need to let the admissions people know she is coming so they will include her in the tour and lunch. I would not facilitate her visit any further than that. You should give her the information and let her take control with the partners club as it is going to be her club and not yours when/if you attend their. Plus, I think if you contact the partners club all they are going to do is ask for her contact info and want to speak with her.

Great, thanks for the advice. I just emailed the adcomm to let her know my partner will be coming with me, and I will have my fiancee email the partners club at CMU to see if she can meet up with one of them during our trip.
Current Student
Send PM
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Great, thanks for the advice. I just emailed the adcomm to let her know my partner will be coming with me, and I will have my fiancee email the partners club at CMU to see if she can meet up with one of them during our trip.

Great! I hope your and your's wife's visit is wonderful!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Fiancee.......a little too early for the marriage stuff! :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Well, when is the date...I have a financee as well but we are getting married in a month, so I have pretty much accepted that title...although I keep warning her if she doesn't play her cards right for the next 30 days I can still get out! :lol: :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Well, when is the date...I have a financee as well but we are getting married in a month, so I have pretty much accepted that title...although I keep warning her if she doesn't play her cards right for the next 30 days I can still get out! :lol: :lol:

We just got engaged last month, and are deciding whether to get married next summer or just wait until the summer of 09 once I graduate.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!
Current Student
Send PM
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

We just got engaged last month, and are deciding whether to get married next summer or just wait until the summer of 09 once I graduate.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!

Thanks, and it is new to you, so I change my last statement from spouse to fiancee
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That could be pretty stressful getting married in the summer between your first and second year of school. I'm sure you've thought of that. Well congratulations, lots of exciting changes going on for you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
That could be pretty stressful getting married in the summer between your first and second year of school. I'm sure you've thought of that. Well congratulations, lots of exciting changes going on for you!

I'm sure it will be, but it's hard to find an ideal time over the next two years, and I feel kind of like a d#ck if I make her wait two years. If she plans the majority of the wedding, that will hopefully allow me to finish my internship, show up at the wedding, say "I do", and go off on my honeymoon. :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I like your plan!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

I'm sure it will be, but it's hard to find an ideal time over the next two years, and I feel kind of like a d#ck if I make her wait two years. If she plans the majority of the wedding, that will hopefully allow me to finish my internship, show up at the wedding, say "I do", and go off on my honeymoon. :lol:

That's basically what I did, except that it happened ten months before b-school plans. If your fiance is not a US citizen then knucle down and get prepared to fill out an horendous amount of bureaucratic bullsh*t.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
:wink:

Originally posted by squali83 on 29 Mar 2007, 09:17.
Last edited by squali83 on 29 Mar 2007, 09:38, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude, that's seriously offensive. I'm living in Japan for christ's sake. Edit your comment out.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2