Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Campus Visit Without Class Visit?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 09:39
Curious what you all think about doing a campus visit without a class visit. More specifically visiting Kellogg in May, which would be the earlist I can go, where they offer a bulding tour, lunch with students, and an info session. I'm planning on applying R1, and would like to use the experience in my essays, so waiting until September doesn't leave too much time. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
Class visits are by no means necessary. If you're looking for essay fodder, then I'm sure your visit to the campus and especially the interaction with current students will be more than enough.

That said, you do gain some insight to the school and its culture by attending a class. It's nice to see how students interact with other students/professor.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 134 [1] , given: 1

Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there - @farful has some great points. Classes have a lot of variance so it's more important to get the student interaction than it is to simply sit in on a class. Your experience would be very different if you went to Applied Regressions versus Entrepreneurial Selling, right? Where it becomes important is if you're applying to a school that has a more distinct teaching method. For example, if you're applying to a case only school (e.g. HBS, Darden), then sitting in on a class can be a great way to show you get what that means and that it's for you. But if you're going to a school where the type of teaching is a little more "standard" then a class visit probably won't add too much to the experience.

The student interaction is key so it's great that you're getting in there while there are still students on campus!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 15:09
Cubsfan87 wrote:
Curious what you all think about doing a campus visit without a class visit. More specifically visiting Kellogg in May, which would be the earlist I can go, where they offer a bulding tour, lunch with students, and an info session. I'm planning on applying R1, and would like to use the experience in my essays, so waiting until September doesn't leave too much time. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

I'd say class visits are one of the least useful portions of the campus visit. The classes vary so much from session to session or course to course that you're not going to get any major takeaways.

During my Kellogg visit (more than 5 years ago, WOW that's depressing), I sat in a decision sciences class where the professor was teaching stats -- not a terribly gripping topic.

Don't feel like you're missing out by not attending a class. Honestly the only thing that might be "new" for someone entering B-school is a class session where a case is discussed.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 08:26
I think campus visit without class visit may be useful, as long as you have a game plan and you know what you are hoping to get out of it. This article can help you make the most out of campus visit: http://www.aringo.com/CampusVisit.htm
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 08:49
Expert's post
I didn't even visit any schools before applying, don't think it matters much. I figure I'll worry about where I want to attend after all my acceptances are in.
Re: Campus Visit Without Class Visit?   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2014, 08:49