Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can a stay-at-home mom get into a top B school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 82

Can a stay-at-home mom get into a top B school [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 08:54
My wife is interested in attending B school in a few years; however, she is currently taking a child-rearing interlude. She still works full time but has taken less responsibility so she can also be a full-time mom. I am curious if AdComs will see value in this experience or it she would have difficulty explaining such a common life choice. Some background about her:

She has a B.A. in International Finance (3.65 GPA) from a top tier university in China and has a M.A. in Economics (3.9 GPA) from a third tier US University (75% scholarship). Her career advanced rapidly at first and she went from Accountant --> Senior Accountant --> Accounting Manager in two years and then after a few years we married and she moved for my career and transferred within the same company to be a licensing manager (basically an Executive Assistant) where she could work remotely while easing into the responsibilities of being a mom.

Though she hasn't taken the GMAT yet, I am expecting her to get 700+ since when she took the GRE her quant was 800 (99th percentile), verbal was 640 (91st percentile) and analytical was 800 (99th percentile)--this was before the AWA was introduced.

She doesn't really have any community involvement since she is working full-time and is a full-time mom.

What do you think? Does she have a shot at getting into a top 20 MBA program?

I look forward to hearing your input.

kudos are appreciated

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can a stay-at-home mom get into a top B school [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
The simple answer is yes she can. We worked with a stay-at-home mother about two years ago - who wanted to use her MBA program as a way to transition back to her professional life. However, not all schools are going to be equally accepting and you have to really focus on her future goals and present strong reasons for getting a graduate business degree. We also had to be creative in handling the recommendations as most business schools do not want recommendations from people who the candidate has not worked with in the past two years. However, this all can be done.

The schools we decided to apply to included: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan, Anderson, Kellogg, LBS and Georgetown. Due to transfer problems with her husband she decided not to apply to Ross, Tuck and Fuqua. To be honest, the way we came to finalize this list was having her go to information sessions for all top programs and only focus on those where that took an interest in her story after she said that she was a stay-at-home mom. An imperfect science, but the results were impressive.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Please call for a free consultation!

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Can a stay-at-home mom get into a top B school   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2012, 09:36