Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 13:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
This is my first post since I have been always reading your posts and learning from it. I have a serious issue for GMAT. In one hand I hate the GMAT test questions and on other hand I do not know why this is vital for MBA admission. However, I have taken the tests already twice. First 360 and second time 410 (aweful !) but it is true. I have studied a lot the test materials availbale here and there , practiced a lot the prep tests of all the major GMAT test preparators and have finished few times GMAT books like OG12, Manhattan RC and Powerscore's Bible for RC. All I did on my own. BUT still whenever I am taking the GMAT prep test and Manhattan CATs my score is no way jumping more than 480. It is so tragic for me that after I know the tests and have finishied and studied a lot still not getting a good score at least 550 for the admission.
I am going for the third time GMAT test but my preparatory test results are scaring me and makin me disappointed. My Quantitive is always between 30-36 and verbal is never more than 23.

Can any body help me with some fruitful advices how I can get that minimum score ( at least 560). I have lost my hopes and sighing for the 300 CAD that I have paid again for the third time GMAT when I know it is just another loss.

Please help me on what to do.

Thank you in advance for your support.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 15:49
my advice: don't try to accomplish too much all at once.

you have a lot of room for improvement. instead of focusing on the test as a whole, identify 2-3 areas of weakness and conquer those. your score can increase drastically just by mastering the fundamentals.

improving from 400 --> 600 is a lot easier than improving from 700 --> 750.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1337 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 18:42
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with username123.

I feel like you're being too broad with the scope of improvement. You didn't mention the MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide. I highly advice you to get that book and learn the material thoroughly since you can master the SC section easily with enough practice. As for CR, Powerscore is good. And RC, you just need to make sure that you're reading and absorbing the key content and message of the passage without wasting time on it too much. I've heard conflicting opinions, but I feel like the RC part is the one where you can actually get away with a lot of right answers without knowing too much of preparation as long as you ask yourself the following when you look at the passage:

1. What is the overall message?
2. What is the first para trying to convey? The second? The third?
3. What is the conclusion?

As for Quant, you can use the Number Properties Guide from MGMAT if you have that or the OG12. Just make sure you understand questions. Whether you get them right or not. And that should help. Use flash cards or something for concepts you don't know. If you have at least a month left, use the error log.
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 19:24
My major problem is in Data Efficiency and Reading Comprehension. I applied the strategy you mentioned but not getting any success. I can come to the close 2 answers out of five -- but then choose the wrong one instead the correct. GMAT English is another pain. Reading comprehension is just painfull of all. But thanks.

One more thing do I need to take any GMAT prep class ? I am not sure if they are going to help me imporve.
Intern
Intern

Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
whiplash2411 wrote:
I agree with username123.

I feel like you're being too broad with the scope of improvement. You didn't mention the MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide. I highly advice you to get that book and learn the material thoroughly since you can master the SC section easily with enough practice. As for CR, Powerscore is good. And RC, you just need to make sure that you're reading and absorbing the key content and message of the passage without wasting time on it too much. I've heard conflicting opinions, but I feel like the RC part is the one where you can actually get away with a lot of right answers without knowing too much of preparation as long as you ask yourself the following when you look at the passage:

1. What is the overall message?
2. What is the first para trying to convey? The second? The third?
3. What is the conclusion?

As for Quant, you can use the Number Properties Guide from MGMAT if you have that or the OG12. Just make sure you understand questions. Whether you get them right or not. And that should help. Use flash cards or something for concepts you don't know. If you have at least a month left, use the error log.
Hope this helps.

My major problem is in Data Efficiency and Reading Comprehension. I applied the strategy you mentioned but not getting any success. I can come to the close 2 answers out of five -- but then choose the wrong one instead the correct. GMAT English is another pain. Reading comprehension is just painfull of all. But thanks.

One more thing do I need to take any GMAT prep class ? I am not sure if they are going to help me imporve.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1337 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 19:46
If you feel like you're going wrong in the last minute, a class might help. Have you already taken the GMAT? Maybe you can look into the Knewton course. It has a free 7 day trial and you can get discounts and they offer a 50 point guarantee from the baseline you score on their diagnostic or the actual GMAT, if you've taken it.

There's also MGMAT, Veritas and Kaplan for prep.

I think the question you want to ask yourself is this: Will a structured study schedule outlined by someone else help you?

You need to identify the weaknesses before you can correct them. So data sufficiency is a problem. Have you tried using the AD/BCE method?

manhattan-dropped-the-ball-on-data-sufficency-95161.html#p737914

As for reading comprehension, I think you might be overlooking some key factors in the passage. Try spending a few more seconds on it. Sentence correction is perhaps your best bet to improve your score, really. Get the MGMAT SC Guide.
Re: CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME ?   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2010, 19:46