Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I achieve this in two months?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Can I achieve this in two months? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 03:47
Hi guys, forum+GMAT newbie here! I'm hoping some kind members could provide instructions as how to best prepare for the GMAT as I only have two months to revise. I can dedicate max. 6 hours a day, Monday to Sunday. My target is approx. 650 but this is not rigid (600 should do, but I prefer to push myself a bit). I scored 510 on my first GMATPrep test. My quant skills are pretty poor as it's been 5 years since I studied maths; my verbal skills are ok.

I have the following books available to work with:
>OGv12, OGv2 for Verbal, OGv2 for Quant;
>Kaplan GMAT Premier Program 2010, Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook
>All 8 Manhattan Strategy Guides
>PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning

MY PLAN:

Week 1-4
>Start by going through all 5 Manhattan Quant guides
>Test knowledge using Kaplan Premier, Math Workbook and OGv12 questions
>Take 1 Manhattan online test + 1 Kaplan online test

Week 5-7
>Go through the 3 Manhattan Verbal guides + PowerScore CR
>Test verbal knowledge using Kaplan Premier and OGv12 questions
>Take 1 Manhattan online test + 1 Kaplan online test

Week 8
>Spend entire week going through OGv2 Verbal + OGv2 Quant books
>Do GMATPrep test, remaining Manhattan tests and Kaplan tests
>Brush up on any weaknesses.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-D !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I achieve this in two months? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
It should be possible since you are giving yourself 6 hours/day to study. Be careful of burning out. I would suggest taking at least 1 day a week off to do nothing GMAT related.

I would also suggest spreading out the remaining tests over 2-3 weeks, rather than doing them all in the last week. This will give you time to identify and fix your weaknesses. If you absolutely cannot push the test out any further, then I would free up time by dropping the Kaplan GMAT Workbook completely and using either the MGMAT CR or PowerScore CR--not both. If you still don't have time, then I would take out Kaplan Premier.

As a frame of reference, I only have 2 hours/day to study on weekdays and 4 hours/day to study on weekends. I am studying about 15 hours/week and am finding that my schedule of finishing 1 MGMAT book + practice problems is a little too aggressive.

Luckily you can study 30+ hours a week, so timing-wise, finishing 1 MGMAT book/week should be no problem for you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Can I achieve this in two months? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 11:01
Thanks username123 for your excellent tips, really helpful! Unfortunately the test date can't be changed so I have to be super efficient with my study time.

I agree with studying either the MGMAT CR or the PowerScore CR (I will read the latter only). I'm really interested in what you say about dropping the Kaplan Math Workbook and possibly the Kaplan Premier as well if I am pushed for time. I thought these two books would be vital to cover or am I mistaken? I was even thinking of adding the Kaplan Verbal Workbook but from what you say this could be overkill. I take it then that the prep tests, 7 x MGMAT books, 3 x OGs and the 1 x PowerScore CR book should be enough? I'm hoping this should strengthen my quant and re-enforce my verbal.

Thank you again for your help!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I achieve this in two months? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
I spent a lot of time researching which books to use in my own GMAT preparation, and decided on the following:

OG 12
OG Verbal
OG Quantitative
8 MGMAT Strategy Guides
Kaplan Premier (mainly for additional CAT's and additional practice problems)
GMAT Club Challenges (for 700+ math problems)
LSAT Problems (for 700+ RC and CR)
GMAT Prep (obviously)

The Kaplan Math and Verbal Workbooks were not even on my radar. In my opinion, time is better spent practicing the concepts, rather than learning the concepts. I believe the 8 MGMAT Strategy Guides contain all information needed for the GMAT, so they are really all I am going to use for learning. Since I am shooting for 750+ I am also using the GMAT Club Challenges and LSAT material for additional practice, but these really should not be necessary for a 650. I think you will be fine with:

7 x MGMAT books <--VITAL
3 x OGs <--VITAL
1 x PowerScore CR book <--VITAL
with Kaplan Premier for 4 x CAT's and additional practice problems <--DECENT FOR EXTRA PRACTICE
GMAT Prep <--VITAL

Use OG Verbal and Math as practice after each chapter in the 7 MGMAT + CR Bible books. See how you do with those problems. Take a GMAT Prep. If you are still struggling or don't hit 600+, then practice more with Kaplan Premier first. Consider getting Kaplan Verbal/Math if you are really struggling (but I highly doubt you will need it). If you do hit 600+, then go straight to OG 12, practicing CAT's and reviewing your error log.
Intern
Intern

Re: Can I achieve this in two months? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 03:45
Ah, what a brilliant post Username, you have really put my mind at ease. There I was thinking I had to use as many of the mainstream books as possible but evidently this approach is not necessary for 600-650 scores.

username123 wrote:
I think you will be fine with:

7 x MGMAT books <--VITAL
3 x OGs <--VITAL
1 x PowerScore CR book <--VITAL
with Kaplan Premier for 4 x CAT's and additional practice problems <--DECENT FOR EXTRA PRACTICE
GMAT Prep <--VITAL

I'll definitely follow your above advice and study these relevant books. This strategy seems much more sensible for the score I am aiming to hit.

I can't thank you enough for the excellent tips! They've been a great help.
Re: Can I achieve this in two months?   [#permalink] 07 May 2010, 03:45