Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can i do MBA in Finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Can i do MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 14:07
I did my Bachelors in "Computer Science and Engineering". I have 4 years of experience in IT industry and mostly as a developer. I want to do MBA from California , USA and aiming for University of Davis and UC Irvine. I just want to know that as i don't have any sort of experience in Finance , so can i apply for MBA in Inverstment Banking or in Corporate Finance. If yes, then which field will have better prospects in future for my profile.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can i do MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
hi there, as a clarification, there's really no such thing as an MBA in Finance, or MBA in business strategy. Unlike your undergrad degree, which you graduated with a "CS and engineernig" degree, MBA is just ...well, an MBA. There's no such thing as doing an MBA in investment banking or in corporate finance. You certainly can attend a business school with such companies recruiting on campus...but at the end of your degree, you will still have just an MBA. Know that business schools do not require a certain major or certain classes be taken before you apply. B-schools are not looking the next Einstein or the next math guru. B-schools are looking for candidates with proven track of record in leadership and/or management and/or maturity in a professional setting.

I can't really comment on your school of choice as I know too little about you. If you'd like, share your undergrad marks and GMAT score, as well as your work experience. What do you do outside of work? Where would you like to work post-MBA? What type of firms are you looking to join (bulge bracket ones, or small, regional boutiques)? These are all very important questions that you're going to have to answer before anyone can help you. Traditionally speaking, if you want to do ibanking, you probably want to attend as good of a business school as you can get in (ranking-wise).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Can i do MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 19:37
Well schools do have majors/tracks/concentrations. Some of which are heavily finance based or other fields, like supply chain etc. The do have masters in finance degrees too....is that what you mean? Those are called MSF....masters of science in finance. Those UC schools are ranked on the lower end of the UC scale, with berkely and LA being much better and harder to get into. Compare your numbers to the incoming class profile...it's on each schools website

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 195

Re: Can i do MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 00:35
Expert's post
Just wanted to chime in quickly since Bakfed and Jordanhendrix nailed the answers already .... there is also a Masters in Financial Engineering. http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x24272.xml

This type of degree is for finance professionals who really love the deep analytics -- something that would not be my cup of tea.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: Can i do MBA in Finance   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2011, 00:35