Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I get into an MBA Program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can I get into an MBA Program? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 13:16
I am graduating in May and hoping to enter an MBA program in the fall of 2012. I took the GMAT in September and got a 430, which made me feel awful. I have registered to take it again at the end of January and I have been studying pretty rigorously for it. I purchased the Manhattan books and recently scored a 560 (38Q, 28V) on the GMAT Prep test. My hope is to get my scores up to 600 before the time comes to take the exam again.

I have a 3.41 GPA, but expected to rise to at least a 3.47 by the end of the semester. I am currently interning for UBS Financial and hoping that with that and my other on-campus experience, it will be enough. I currently serve as President of my fraternity, VP of Leadership Development for a honor society, and a member in 2 other honor societies as well.

The schools I am applying to are:
St. Johns University
Elon University
Appalachian State University
University of Tennessee
University of Mississippi

Any help or words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2419

Kudos [?]: 10392 [0], given: 3779

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Can I get into an MBA Program? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 13:18
Expert's post
I would highly recommend not going for an MBA right after undergrad but instead working for a few years (did I read that correctly)?

Why do you want to go straight for an MBA?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can I get into an MBA Program? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 13:37
I want to get an MBA immediately after undergrad because I am an extremely diligent student and school is something I really do care about. I have a strong feeling that if I do not go now that when I receive a job (hopefully sooner rather than later), I will not want to return to school to receive my MBA. I have done a lot of research and the schools I am applying to do not want an immense amount of work experience, but I do realize that I have very little so I will have to wow the admissions office with other parts of my application. To further cement my application, I picked up a second major this semester (I am now a Finance and Economics major with a minor in Spanish) and will graduate in only 4 years.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Can I get into an MBA Program? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 15:12
i go to a school where there are a few people straight out of undergrad, one of the things they are dealing with is not getting true MBA jobs and MBA pay.....that is very real in todays economy, BB (as usual) is right, go get some work experience, crush the GMAT. With those numbers, and a high GMAT, you should be shooting for top 15 schools. The opportunities out of the schools you mentioned are sub par.
Re: Can I get into an MBA Program?   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2011, 15:12