Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 2.7
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:22
Or what are my other choices?

1) Basic demographic info:
28, M, Have both US and Russian citizenships.

2) Educational Background:
- 2006: BS in Computer Science (from one of the top 10 CS schools in US), GPA 2.71 out of 4
- 2010: Business certificate (~40 credit hours in business school) from private regional school, GPA 3.78 out of 4.0
- GMAT: 710

3) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?

Last 5 years I worked at the big internet tech company (one of the best employers for software engineers).

2005: Starter as an software engineer intern
2006: Was offered a position and became a software enginner
2009: Moved from level 1 to level 2 engineer in 3 years
2011: Moved to a project/program manager (my current duties are similar to "assistant manager" or "manager in training") role in the same company

4) Extracurriculars:
Not really. I spent all my free time fixing my GPA.
I am training for a 1/2 marathon and did some martial arts on and off here and there.
Also, I am taking introductory level Spanish classes in the local community college.

5) Short/Long term goals:
After an MBA i would prefer to stay in the technical field.
Geographic preferences - currently I don't have any.

6) Schools: Which schools have you considered already? Any on your initial short list?
Stanford, Harvard (?), INSEAD, LBS, Wharton (?), Kellogg , MIT, Berkeley, Cornell (?), UCLA - that is what comes to mind first, but I have not researched the schools very well.

Thank you,
--Alex
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Alex, to be frank, I think you'll find it hard to enter a top 10 school. I still think you should try for at least a couple, but I'd hedge more of the bets in the range of 10-25 rankings.

My reasonings:

There's simply too many of the "types" of you. With that said, I understand everyone's different but the truth of the matter is that top schools cannot accept everyone who applies. At Stanford and Harvard, the schools care very much about your grades and your age. Your GPA is and will be a severe handicap to these schools.

Your list of schools, as you indicated, is really just a conglomerate of schools. If I were you, I'd drop INSEAD unless you really have an emotional "tie" to this school.

Out of the top 7 schools (H/S/W, Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, and Sloan), I'd pick just 1 or 2 at most.
Then between top 8 and top 16 (Stern, Haas, Darden, Fuqua, Ross, Johnson, Anderson, Tuck, and Yale), I'd pick 3 or 4.
Then beyond that, you can put a couple more in there, schools such as Notre Dame, UNC, Georgetown.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 16:43
bakfed wrote:
There's simply too many of the "types" of you.

Thanks for the answer!

So what can improve my application?
Retaking GMAT with the aim of getting 750+?

Honestly, with my current career trajectory and previous school experience I see no value in attending a school that is not in the top-10 (15).

Thank you,
--Alex
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 17:00
well what do you want to do with your MBA?
and I agree w/ bakfed: NO to Stanford

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 18:37
I have to second jordanhendrix's question and that I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to get out of this MBA. You mentioned that your goal is to stay in the technical field, and I'm not entirely sure what that means.

At any rate, I personally think (and opinions vary) that there's a difference between a 710 and a 750 and if you think you can make this dinstinction, you should do it. I believe it was rhyme (a gmatclub legend) who came up with the mathematical statistics that Kellogg acces the most applicants with a score of 740 or above on GMAT (Kellogg publishes its scorings of GMAT in blocks). I think with a 750, you will improve your chances significantly, but I'm still not quite sure about Stanford as applicants who apply there have both awesome GMAT scores and great GPA.

Honestly, I think that if you're only gunning for the top 10 b-schools, just go for it. What could possibly be bad (besides getting rejected)? At least you know you tried it. My suggestion for those who are only going for a certain range (and usually just the top 10) is to just apply. For those who want to maximize the chances of getting i, then those should go for a number of schools in different range. Think of it like this: There will always be two different type of investors - one who will just go for one stock, and one who will diversify the portfolio. Is either one really wrong? Probably not, but the diversified portfolio investor is probably going for a safer bet (less risky) than the investor who poured his/her money into just one stock. The one-stock-investor could just find that one-hit wonder, and that's fine! Okay, maybe that's a bad example, but if you're just going to go for the top 10 business schools, and that if you don't get in you won't go to b-school, you should just try. The "diversifed" portfolio of b-schools is just to diversify the risk and hopefully get into at least one school.

Intern
Intern

Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 10:49
Applied to : Kellogg, LBS, Haas and Johnson.

Ding: Kellogg, LBS (w/o interview), Haas (w/o interview)
Accepted: Johnson w/o $$
Re: Can I get into Stanford with my 2.7 GPA?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2011, 10:49