Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I make it for 2006 schoolyear?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Can I make it for 2006 schoolyear? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 08:55
Hi everyone,

I joined the GMAT club last year as I was preparing to take the exam a second time. Well, weeks became months and I lost track of my schedule bec of work and other matters. I can't even log in using my old username since I can't remember my password.

Well, now I'm back and I REALLY REALLY want to get the exam over and done with. How I wish I took this test fresh out of college when my math skills were fully exercised.

Short background: I'm 25, been working as a financial analyst in an international bank for 3 years now, going on 4. Graduated with honors. Strong extra-curriculars.

Major setback: got a 540 in my first GMAT exam. Studied for a month and took a leap of faith. I definitely regret not studying harder :cry:

I wanted to get advice --- do you think I can still make it for 2007 schoolyear. I know application process start sometime september? or october?. I still have to review and take the GMAT. Given this timetable, I have only 3 months to study and it's freaking me out!!! I'm in a state of panic!! :shock: Wanted to be done with GMAT and preparing my application forms in time for the first round of interviews. But at the rate I'm going, I'll probably catch up with the second round.

Does anyone have any advice on study plans or anything at all? I have a 8 to 6 job. Mornings are really for the commute so can't squeeze in any study time in there. All I'm left with during weekdays are 3 hours in the evening!!! It's frustrating. I am actually considering quitting my job to study for this cause I desperately am aiming for 700+. But ofcourse, I can't quit my job (!!!!) bec 1) I need it for my resume/ application and 2) the money i'm saving will pay for my tuition. If only I was superman and didn't need to sleep.

I'm pretty much rambling and ranting. I'm just so stressed with work and I can't seem to organize myself.

I'm open to any suggestions or words of wisdom. This site has been so so helpful!!!

Thanks and goodnight!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 10:03
hermione, do not lose faith. I know how people can be time crunched and I was in your situation last year when I had to crunch the GMAT with my CFA exam which made it that I did not even reach my target score after my second attempt. You will have to prioritize and as for this year's vacation, you know what to do with them :) Yes, it will be part of the sacrifices you will have to do to reach your goal: no pain no gain. We all know that.

However, the good thing is that it is CLEARLY possible to increase your score from 540 to 700+. Some people have done it and you just have to go through the stickies in the "share your experience" forum for some such inspiration stories. Often times, inspiration is what will you that little needed boost to fulfill your dream. Of course, hardwork is also quintessential. If you have 3 months ahead, I would suggest you to dedicate about 1-2 hours a day during weekdays and about 6-8 hours on weekdends. You should do as many problems as possible, both from CATs and from gmatclub. Try to participate more. I once thought about joining a class with PR or Kaplan but in hindsight, that would have been a waste of money for me. Honestly, I learned more here than anywhere else. I joined every possible discussions and solved many problems, as you can see by my number of posts, and it really did pay off. If it can encourage you, the first time I did my GMAT, I did not even know that you had no right to a calculator until the day prior to the exam. Needless to say that I did not score good at all. However, I did achieve the 700+ in the end :)

Use your commute time to read a bit on the GMAT. Use your free time at work to answer a few problems from gmatclub. I was also studying for my gmat during lunch time :evil: Yes, you will be living, breathing, eating and thinking GMAT during the next 3 months but the good news is how better you will feel afterwards when you will reach the mountain top. You do not need to be superman to do it, you just need to have the determination.

I expect to see more of you in the coming months and do actively participate. Do not hesitate to ask any question or contact me and come back to share your story thereafter.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I agree [#permalink] New post 30 May 2005, 13:25
You can go from a 540 to a 700 +. I was able to stretch that gap from my first CAT to the real test. If you are one of those people like me who can't walk in off the street and get a 700 get ready for lot of hard work. You have to make time to study. When you are dragging ass at 6:00 after a tough day at work the last thing you want to do is study. Get something to eat, put on a pot of coffee. Put on some good music it that helps you. Actually having a baseball game in the background helped me concentrate. If you want the 700 make the commitment. They just don't give those scores away. I have posted me experience if you are interested. You can do it. You just have to be willing to put you heart and soul into it. It is only temporary, and when you walk out of the test center with the score of your dreams in hand you won't think twice about the time you had to sacrafice. Think of it as an investment in your future. The returns are a lot higher than the stock market!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 06:27
Hi Paul! I truly appreciate the feedback and words of encouragement. Thank you so much. Your message made me feel welcome, you being such an active member of this site. Thanks!! :)

I was also reviewing for my CFA level 1 exam last year while preparing for the GMAT. I passed the CFA, however, as you know, got a terribly low score on my GMAT. Turns out I couldn’t do both in one blow as I originally thought. This year, I’m doing it differently and decided to postpone taking CFA level 2 til next year to take time and concentrate on my GMAT. Hopefully that will help my score the second time around.

In your message you mentioned that you still didn’t achieve your target score the second time around. Does that mean you took the exam thrice? How did that affect your application to schools? … I’m asking cause I there is that possibility that I’ll have to take it a third time as well if I don’t improve drastically on my second try.

Also just curious… are you doing your MBA right now? If I may ask what school are you at? Have you gone thru all 3 CFA levels already?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 06:41
Eagles, thank you for your words of encouragement. I felt better after reading it. Will look up your GMAT experience entry.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 09:39
I am writing my level 3 exam this week-end :) I will also be attending LBS, London Business School, this September (MSc. Finance). My first GMAT attempt: 620. Second: 650. Third: 710. Schools really look at your highest score so don't worry about it too much. As long as there is an increasing trend in your score you are fine.
You can also read about my application experience at LBS and background here: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16146

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 14:35
As suggested by others, there is still time for you to prepare for the upcoming admissions season. The key is to make a study schedule and finish with the GMAT early so you can focus on the other elements of the admissions package.
  [#permalink] 31 May 2005, 14:35