Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I make it to a top school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can I make it to a top school? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 22:50
Hello,
My grades/GMA/etc. are all in decent order. However, I am afraid (in spite of b-schools say about diverse backgrounds), my lack of experience that everyone else seems to have (banks and consulting, etc.) would be a major handicap in spite of my successes elsewhere.

Nationality: US Citizen, born outside the US, Asian male
GMAT: 720, 6.0 AWA
Work experience: 2 years
Education: BA from a top-tier private liberal arts college in English (Writing) & Financial Economics, Masters from a state university in Writing
GPA: 3.6 (Undergrad), 4.0 (Grad)
EC: ex-College athlete, Student Gov't VP, etc.

Background: I was interested in a lot of different fields (and, luckily, decent at all of them) so my undergraduate transcript ranges from Beowulf to Vector Calculus and everything in between. Some definitely would consider it confused but I actually was genuinely interested in learning! Regardless, I did my Master’s in Creative Writing right after undergraduate and after graduation found myself with two options--either working as a low-paid adjunct faculty or struggling to make ends meet as an editor. Instead, I started my own marketing company (without any loans or help, put $5,000 on my credit card) using my background in writing and hobby in web design. In the last two years, it has steadily grown and turned a profit of $124,000 this year when other small marketing firms in the region are shutting doors and has, among others, a US Senator as a client.

I have figured out many things on my own (payroll, taxes, etc.!) and make decisions out of gut but have always felt I would be better off at least knowing how others would approach the problems.

Post-MBA Goals: I want to either continue with my own company or join other exciting startup ventures.

Target schools (order of preference):
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Dartmouth
UT-Austin
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I make it to a top school? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 17:12
Expert's post
brethart wrote:
Hello,
My grades/GMA/etc. are all in decent order. However, I am afraid (in spite of b-schools say about diverse backgrounds), my lack of experience that everyone else seems to have (banks and consulting, etc.) would be a major handicap in spite of my successes elsewhere.

Nationality: US Citizen, born outside the US, Asian male
GMAT: 720, 6.0 AWA
Work experience: 2 years
Education: BA from a top-tier private liberal arts college in English (Writing) & Financial Economics, Masters from a state university in Writing
GPA: 3.6 (Undergrad), 4.0 (Grad)
EC: ex-College athlete, Student Gov't VP, etc.

Background: I was interested in a lot of different fields (and, luckily, decent at all of them) so my undergraduate transcript ranges from Beowulf to Vector Calculus and everything in between. Some definitely would consider it confused but I actually was genuinely interested in learning! Regardless, I did my Master’s in Creative Writing right after undergraduate and after graduation found myself with two options--either working as a low-paid adjunct faculty or struggling to make ends meet as an editor. Instead, I started my own marketing company (without any loans or help, put $5,000 on my credit card) using my background in writing and hobby in web design. In the last two years, it has steadily grown and turned a profit of $124,000 this year when other small marketing firms in the region are shutting doors and has, among others, a US Senator as a client.

I have figured out many things on my own (payroll, taxes, etc.!) and make decisions out of gut but have always felt I would be better off at least knowing how others would approach the problems.

Post-MBA Goals: I want to either continue with my own company or join other exciting startup ventures.

Target schools (order of preference):
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
Berkeley
Dartmouth
UT-Austin

interesting story. You have chosen your schools well, provided you can show leadership and community service.Tuckand Haas may prefer a little more work experience. You may also want to consider UCLA Anderson and MIT.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog