Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I market myself? Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can I market myself? Please advice [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 09:33
Hi Scott/Omari,

I'm from India, software professional worked for 5 years. I wrote GMAT 3 times.
590 (Q48, V23)
620 (Q44, V31)
610 (Q48, V27)

I'm not sure what wrong I did in 3rd attempt but my verbal went down. I have a good management (people management, project management, customer relation) record, very good community service record & decent extra curricular. Also, I think my communication skills are very good :)

One important thing about me is, I have struggled a lot in my life.

I was born in very poor family, my father was a teacher & he taught me to fight the situations & raise. My childhood was a bit painful, I used to work in farms & fields & manage to go to school, my parents wanted me to do something in my life, so they encouraged my education, I used to study in the night in kerosene lamp since we didn't have electricity. In spite of this, because my parents' guidance & my determination, I did well in studies, I scored very good marks, I stood 1st in the districts in 7th std. & stood 19th to the state in the 10th exam (supposed to be very tought), I scored 100% in maths for which I got certificate from the government of Karnataka state. At the same time I won quite a few prizes in extra curricular competitions. My education till 10th standard was not in English medium, but rather in regional language. In India usually 11th standard onwards everything's in english medium, but I took this as challenge & joined a reputed science college, where I got scholarship. Due to my determination, I did well here too I stood first in 11th standard among 1000 students with 100% in maths again. My college appreciated me for coming from a rural area from regional language school & grabbing highest marks among many top school students.

12th standard is again state level exam, I did very well in this & scored 96% marks & joined engineering school. In the engineering school (4 years course), apart from study I was very active in extra curricular, president of Association of Electronics Engineers, Chief editor of school magazine etc. I managed lot of activities as part of these, right from organizing events to fund raising. I have done very well on study part too.

After engineering I joined a software start-up, being a start-up it taught me a lot. I initiated lot of new things in the company on my own, got lot of opportunities to demonstrate my management potential through people management, project management. I was the front runner for customer meetings & relationship. I'm very good in relationships Customers used to ask for me for discussion

I left the company in lookout for more management potential jobs a month back (after 5 years of experience) & joined an MNC as a project leader, the work here is very interesting from management point of view & I'm sure I'll do very well. Just after few months of taking over a half done project, my business manager appreciated my work for handling project well in short time.

Now, do you think, I can market myself to good business schools like MIT, Kellogg, Wharton, LBS, INSEAD, Ross? Are there any chances? Should I write GMAT again? What other schools would you suggest for me?

One problem is due to my responsibilities I hardly get time to study, that is another reason for my poor performance, can I cover this performance by my excellent performance in acamdemics? My TOEFL is 273. Also, I can state my long term goals & why I need an MBA...

Sorry for writing lenghty mail but I would really need your advice.

-Vicky Paul
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 17:04
Expert's post
I think that you have a great story to tell (overcoming adversity is a powerful story), but your GMAT score will definitely hurt you. While we regularly tell applicants that there are many things in a b-school application that are more powerful than the GMAT, getting into a top-ten school with a GMAT score of 620 is a long shot.

The best thing I can do is suggest that you consider taking a GMAT course. You mentioned that you're too busy to study, but one way in which a GMAT course is valuable is because it can force you to get on a schedule and stufy regularly. While I won't think anyone *needs* to take a GMAT class, what you've done so far isn't enough, so you should think about it.

Otherwise, I think that you have a pretty good profile. Your "soft skills" will help set you apart from a very crowded applicant pool.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 17:23
Thanks a lot for advice Scott, I feel better now. I'll write GMAT again, I think I've time (3 to 4 months) to apply for fall 2007.

One more question, approximately, what GMAT score will be able to give me a little push?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 17:41
Expert's post
If I knew that I'd be a millionaire. :-) But try to get at least within the middle-80% range of each of your target schools. This info is available on the web for most schools (like here: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/02 ... harton.htm ) and in our book.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 06:46
;) yeah, makes sense. Thanks again.