Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can I Skip the AWA and IR?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 06:47
I need to obtain a minimum of 600 to meet a conditional offer for a place at a business school. They haven't set any criteria for the AWA and IR. Is there an option to opt out to take those two parts of the exam because together it is about 1 hour of the exam, and although for some people it works as a warm up, I find it a total distraction and it only serves but to help lose my concentration.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:30
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 09:07
Ok guys here is my somewhat unique predicament.

I'm to retake the GMAT on the 5th of August. I scored a 5.5 on the AWA the first time round. I have a conditional offer for a place at business school, with that condition being a minimum of 600 on the GMAT. I need to submit the unofficial score by the 6th to confirm my place.

The school does not care about the AWA or IR (well I guess they do not since no part of the condition mentions them), and by the time the AWA score gets back to me I would have already been accepted/rejected from the program, and about a week or two till I start the actual program.

I understand that its *only* 30 minutes, but I could really do without my brain having to be used for this extra time, especially when my score is make or break in the verbal section which unfortunately comes last.

I wont be using the score to apply elsewhere to business school un the future, well not at least for 5 years when I'd have to re-sit it anyways.
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 333 Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 53

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 09:46
Seems like a particularly bad idea. Why not work on building your stamina?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 12:23
Expert's post
I'd really advise against a 'complete blow off' of the AWA and IR portions of the exam. Even though the school doesn't make any mention of 'needing it', that doesn't mean that they won't look at it. I can tell you that there is definitely a 'red flag' raised in the eyes of many admissions offices when they see a 0 on the AWA section (and I'd assume similarly on IR.)

Maybe you don't exert the same level of energy on these sections as you would on the quant/verbal suggestions --- but I think blowing them off is just not a great idea.

Just my $0.02.

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 90

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 13:11
This is a horrible idea. Why would you try to test the waters when the essay isn't even that hard or draining?
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 13:22
I don't know, I think nevermerlot has a good point. If the school is truly giving you an explicit condition, such as get a 600, then that should be all you need to do. From a logical perspective, he should skip it.

if [[ (core score) >= 600 ]]
then
Get into school
else
Don't get in

If they explicitly say a 600 will get you in no matter what, then there is no reason to waste your time with IR and AWA.

Just my $.02
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 14:32
If you're certain that getting a 600+ is all it takes to get in then yes, you could skip IR and AWA.

But you shouldn't.

What if God forbid you get a 590 and need a backup plan? Odds are any other school would like to see those numbers.

What if a future employer wants to see your GMAT score to distinguish you from a similar candidate?

Obviously it's your decision but I would personally suffer a little bit now so that I could rest easy later.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 19:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CMcAboy wrote:
I don't know, I think nevermerlot has a good point. If the school is truly giving you an explicit condition, such as get a 600, then that should be all you need to do. From a logical perspective, he should skip it.

if [[ (core score) >= 600 ]]
then
Get into school
else
Don't get in

If they explicitly say a 600 will get you in no matter what, then there is no reason to waste your time with IR and AWA.

Just my $.02

We're totally all entitled to our own opinions -- and let's be honest, they are just that... opinions. But, too often, I get nervous that people approach/consider applications as a solely scientific process. While drones may be taking over the world day-by-day, they haven't made their way into the admissions offices of MBA schools yet! Skipping AWA/IR gives people a chance to say "Hmm... what's the deal here?" on a section that should never be more than a "Check.. scores fine... move along."

Good AWA/IR scores never get you 'in' to b-school, but bad AWA/IR scores can certainly cause your file to get put in the "Hmmm..." pile. That's not the pile you want your application to be in.

Just my thoughts.

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Can I Skip the AWA and IR?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 19:10