Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can neone plz claify the use and significance of WHICH ...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can neone plz claify the use and significance of WHICH ...  [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 23:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Can neone plz claify the use and significance of WHICH ...

for e.g

Kaplan Ques on SC has corect answer :
The house, which was set back from the shore, overlooked the lake.

Will it be wrong If we say

"The house, set back from the shore, overlooked the lake."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Kaplan Ques on SC has corect answer (nothing to do with which):

He saw the movie recently , so he didn't want to see it tonight

Will it be wrong If we say :

He has seen the movie recently , so he doesn't want to see it tonight
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SC : queries [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 21:56
Your first example:
The house, which was set back from the shore, overlooked the lake.

Will it be wrong If we say

"The house, set back from the shore, overlooked the lake."

Here "which was set back from the shore" is used as an adjective clause and refers to the noun house. You can argue that "set back from the shore" can alos be an adjective clause. But typically an adjective clause defines the noun explicitly. Which house or which one? The one which was set back...In the latter choice it does not refer to a specifc house and could be any house or several houses. However the intention of the original sentence is to refer to a specific house.

Also to answer your question about significance of which: another thing to consider is use of That / Which. These are used depending on whether the adjective clause is restrictive / non restrictive. Since the original sentence has a noun house and this house needs the adjective "which was set ...shore" to identify itself, this is a restrictive adjective clause. Also the comma after house will not be there. You can use either that / which in this case. However if the adjective is not needed to define the noun, it becomes a nonrestrctive adjective clause . For example, My only house, which........or The house, which.... here the adjective is not needed for identifying the person / thing. So it is a non restrictive clause. And in this case only which is used, not that.

Your second example:
He saw the movie recently , so he didn't want to see it tonight

Will it be wrong If we say :

He has seen the movie recently , so he doesn't want to see it tonight

I dont think it will be wrong to say this. However your second sentence changes the meaning of the original sentence. He saw...so he didn;t... is in the past tense , rather both the events are in past tense. But in the second option the tense is present perfect and the second event is (also present perfect) but a present / continuing event (doesn't want....).
Hope this helps.
AT
SC : queries   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2005, 21:56