Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can same essays be used for different b-schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Can same essays be used for different b-schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:01
Essays involving career goals, or why an MBA or articulating leadership experiences - can the same essays be used for different b schools?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Can same essays be used for different b-schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:04
I don't think the same essays can be used verbatim as each school's questions have their own nuances. I will say that the same stories can be used in multiple essays. The most important thing about any essay you submit is that it ANSWERS the question that is asked. Just because two schools have essays revolving around leadership it does not mean that they have asked the same question.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can same essays be used for different b-schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:44
You can use big portions of one school's essays for another, but it doesn't happen often when two schools ask you to write an essay to answer the exact same question to a T.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can same essays be used for different b-schools? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 08:23
Since this my second year doing apps (and hopefully more successful) let me share my experiences. Last year I wrote a schools essays and then copied them over for other schools tried to adjust to meet that specific schools needs. That landed me 0 admits and 1 WL for 7 schools.

This year, I focused on one school at a time. worked through the re-writes for each draft until I was happy with the essays. Upon submitting that school, I moved focus to the next school. I would write each initial drafts from scratch. Knowing what I wrote previously stories would be similar. When I had the flow of each essay complete, I would compare to other similar essays from the past. Weak parts of current essays would be updated with details, ideas from the old ones. Often times I noticed my stories got stronger with each subsequent re write.

Long story short, re-use in the verbatim sense is not going to work. Using themes and concepts will work. After you get strong drafts, you may even get away with copying sentences or paragraphs. I would tackle each essay as its own. After you get through 1 or 2 schools it does get a lot easier. I am currently 0 for 1 but got an interview invite for that school after being rejected without interview from the school last year.

Hopefully this helps out! Good luck with the process
Re: Can same essays be used for different b-schools?   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 08:23