Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Sep 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can/should I request an early admissions decision?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 320 Q158 V162
GPA: 3.39
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Can/should I request an early admissions decision? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 16:46
Hi everyone. New to this website outside of researching for MBA Q/A's. I recently received admission from ASU with a 50% scholarship, but was given a hard deposit deadline of December 6. Unfortunately, 3 other schools I applied to have decision deadlines between Dec. 9-18 (Yale, Cornell, and Dartmouth). I am in love with Tuck and Johnson and really want to get a decision given that and all the effort/time I put in on applications and visits. Does anyone have insight on the etiquette of asking for early admissions decisions from the other schools? I don't want to offend anyone or hurt my chances at all. Additionally, if requesting an early decision should I mention that I already have one admit and scholarship offer? Thanks for the help.

Also, not sure about my chances of admission at the other programs, my profile is: GRE-162V,158Q, MPA degree from Maxwell (#1-ranked school) and 8 years experience, mostly in legislative research/government - pursuing investment track with eye on investment officer or portfolio mgr for government pension/investment funds.
Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Can/should I request an early admissions decision? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 13:23
[quote="Inquisitive22"]Hi everyone. New to this website outside of researching for MBA Q/A's. I recently received admission from ASU with a 50% scholarship, but was given a hard deposit deadline of December 6. Unfortunately, 3 other schools I applied to have decision deadlines between Dec. 9-18 (Yale, Cornell, and Dartmouth). I am in love with Tuck and Johnson and really want to get a decision given that and all the effort/time I put in on applications and visits. Does anyone have insight on the etiquette of asking for early admissions decisions from the other schools? I don't want to offend anyone or hurt my chances at all. Additionally, if requesting an early decision should I mention that I already have one admit and scholarship offer? Thanks for the help.

Also, not sure about my chances of admission at the other programs, my profile is: GRE-162V,158Q, MPA degree from Maxwell (#1-ranked school) and 8 years experience, mostly in legislative research/government - pursuing investment track with eye on investment officer or portfolio mgr for government pension/investment funds.[/quote

Hello,

Thanks for writing here.

Your situation is interesting, but not rare at all.

Every school knows that every student keeps his option open and applies to more than one schools.

First, yes, you can write to the schools about the dilemma you are in. Second and utmost important, it depends how you write the letter. You must be very courteous and mention that the school (you are writing) is your first choice, but you are in a dillema and you need their support to expedite the review.

I have helped someone to do the same (not in the same schools you mentioned), and the school reviewed his application even before the deadline started (the case was very complicated though) :)

Thanks and good luck
_________________

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 320 Q158 V162
GPA: 3.39
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Can/should I request an early admissions decision? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 11:31
Just wanted to give anyone who stumbles upon this thread an update. I ended up also applying to Rochester-Simon and Hopkins-Carey. And I did end up trying to negotiate with those schools and ASU. I was not admitted to the 3 Ivy's I applied to, most likely because I did not take the GMAT. If I had a chance to redo things I would take that test. I currently stand at 75% scholarship and grad assistantship offer from ASU, 75% scholarship/GA-ship from Hopkins, and 40% scholarship offer from Rochester, though was invited to compete for full scholarship, results pending tomorrow. I hope I remember to revise this after I get the Rochester update. I will likely end up going where I get the highest offer but really like the finance reputation and admission staff at Rochester, the facilities, staff, and ranking of ASU, and the overall name of Hopkins. Hopkins being new and unaccredited scares me though. I already sense the growing pains from the way they handled my admissions application and communications. And I just don't know how employers view their students. Simon and ASU are very professional and supportive but are known for different things. I have a feeling this is going to be a difficult decision. (still have a nagging pull to hold off, take the GMAT, and reapply to top 15's next year, but its hard to turn down some very good offers...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2014
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can/should I request an early admissions decision? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 06:56
Inquisitive22 wrote:
Just wanted to give anyone who stumbles upon this thread an update. I ended up also applying to Rochester-Simon and Hopkins-Carey. And I did end up trying to negotiate with those schools and ASU. I was not admitted to the 3 Ivy's I applied to, most likely because I did not take the GMAT. If I had a chance to redo things I would take that test. I currently stand at 75% scholarship and grad assistantship offer from ASU, 75% scholarship/GA-ship from Hopkins, and 40% scholarship offer from Rochester, though was invited to compete for full scholarship, results pending tomorrow. I hope I remember to revise this after I get the Rochester update. I will likely end up going where I get the highest offer but really like the finance reputation and admission staff at Rochester, the facilities, staff, and ranking of ASU, and the overall name of Hopkins. Hopkins being new and unaccredited scares me though. I already sense the growing pains from the way they handled my admissions application and communications. And I just don't know how employers view their students. Simon and ASU are very professional and supportive but are known for different things. I have a feeling this is going to be a difficult decision. (still have a nagging pull to hold off, take the GMAT, and reapply to top 15's next year, but its hard to turn down some very good offers...


Hey inquisitive22,

Congrats on those admits!

It looks like you are leaning towards Rochester, and rightly so. Rochester's strong reputation in Finance and proximity to NYC will help you open more doors. However, do remember that east coast is cluttered with great finance schools (Wharton, NYU, Columbia,Yale, Cornell and Georgetown to name a few), so you will have to compete with students from these schools for same finance jobs.
We will be happy to answer any questions that you might have in this regard.

I highly doubt that you were dinged at your top three choices because you did not take the GMAT; B-schools, if they say that they accept GRE, then they do consider GRE at par with the GMAT.

If you consider applying to schools next year, we can offer you a free ding analysis.
Shoot us a PM, if interested.
_________________

Regards,
mbaessaybank

Re: Can/should I request an early admissions decision?   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 06:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Can I request an early decision? DaveJones2 2 02 Mar 2014, 21:11
Experts publish their posts in the topic Can/should I request an early admissions decision? Inquisitive22 3 06 Nov 2013, 16:56
1 Early decision netrix 1 23 May 2010, 06:57
1 Early Decision Raabend 9 23 Jun 2008, 10:30
Experts publish their posts in the topic Early Decision ? christoph 2 18 Apr 2006, 00:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Can/should I request an early admissions decision?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.