Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

can somebody tell me how to improve my s.c score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
can somebody tell me how to improve my s.c score [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 21:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hai
Four days back, I took official gmat prep test and scored 570(q-47, v-22). my verbal score in c.r(7/11), r.c(9/13) , s.c(6/17).
can somebody tell me how to improve my s.c score?. I completed mgmat sc part I.Do I need to study advanced part also. please suggest some strategies to improve s.c score.

Thanks in advance
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 07:57
Based on what I have read in discussions in GMAT Club the MGMATSC is one of the best resource for verbal. Most of the test takers actually suggest to read this book as many times as possible till you get familiarized with all the concepts. I also noticed that after I read the Advanced part is when I was able to get the Pronouns and Comparisons right so I would suggest you to finish the advanced part of MGMAT Sc. And hey read it again and again.

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 07:29
I read the part 1 so many times , and I am using error log for the part 1. Actually ,I am good at s.c rules and every thing, but I dont know why my s.c scores are decreasing suddenly. Is there any chance that i will improve my s.c score after reading advanced part.? I am not the guy who aiming for 700+. I targeting at 600.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 13:04
Maybe consider using the Aristotle sentence correction grail in helping your studies? This book is simpler to understand than the MGMAT SC nbook and may be a good book to go through before re-attempting the MGMAT sentence correction. Eventually, you will want to get to the advanced section of the MGMAT SC guide, but a current score of 6/17 on sentence correction suggests that you would probably be better served going through the basic portion again.

I myself have struggled with sentence correction, and am currently going through the basic section for a second time before I move onto the advanced section for the first time. Good luck.

Edit: Since you have spent a lot of time already going through MGMAT, maybe try going through your error log and seeing where you incorrectly applied certain rules? There's a lot that can be learned by looking at the types of mistakes that a person repeatedly makes...
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 17:27
Yes, you need to study the advanced part. The first part is too basic.
Also, read you must complement that book with the explanations of the OG in SC.

Finally, if you are not native speaker, probably you would need to study the list of idioms.

Let me know if you have more doubts.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 19:53
TomB wrote:
Hai
Four days back, I took official gmat prep test and scored 570(q-47, v-22). my verbal score in c.r(7/11), r.c(9/13) , s.c(6/17).
can somebody tell me how to improve my s.c score?. I completed mgmat sc part I.Do I need to study advanced part also. please suggest some strategies to improve s.c score.

Thanks in advance

Reading only basic part of MGMAT is really not sufficient to get a higher score. You have to even surfing in MGMAT SC at least 2-3 times.

About CR, I can give you some recommends that will help you to find out how to improve your CR. You should answer on your own some following questions:
- Can you understanding the meaning of the argument?
- Can you comprehend the flow between sentences in the argument?
- Can you recognize the category of the questions? What kind of question? => When you know which kind of question is, do you know how to solve that kind?

That all for my help.

In RC section, I have only 1 recommend: practice and read the passages actively and question carefully

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 15:05
Hi cecilpaladin32

when I am revising errorlog I am able to find the answers for wrong s.c without applying any rules. I think I am exhausted with official guides. I need some other material to practice. what about 1000 s.c, gmat paper tests,...

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 15:09
hi metallicafan

I am not a native speaker. Do i need to study Idioms thoroughly? I just revised the idioms as they are no more tested in the gmat.
thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 01:47
TomB wrote:
hi metallicafan

I am not a native speaker. Do i need to study Idioms thoroughly? I just revised the idioms as they are no more tested in the gmat.
thanks

Actually, You do not need to study Idiom thoroughly, and advance part does not include only Idiom. In the advance part, there are many things you will find interesting. MGMAT SC is typically valuable with each piece even smallest

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: advice needed [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 16:14
Hi TomB

I am in the same boat as you and have been trying to improve my SC score for some time now. I am clearly not an expert in this but I can tell you some pointers that I have developed myself while studying SC.

First of all, MGMAT SC is your bible. It is very thorough and I suggest you go through it and try to make your notes from it (Things that you may forget later one, some Idioms you need to practice on).

Second, now that you have gone through MGMAT SC, it is possible that you may tend to forget what you gone through, thats where your notes come in. Go through it, update your notes whenever necessary.

Third, GMAT Club forum is your lifesaver. There are tons of extra material to go through and download. For example, there are many docs on IDIOM lists, I suggest you download that and go through it. Of course, its quite frustrating to read all the idiomatic expressions all in a go. But, just take the document with you, try and read it once in a while when you are free or something. updating your knowledge like this, idioms won't be a problem anymore.

Fourth, Now that the basics are done and probably you are done with the OG on SC too, hit the forums. Dig for all types of questions you can get. One thing for SC, Practice, Practice, Practice!!! SC moves on rules, so it all depends on your application of the rules. I insist you make use of the forum materials and topics, they are great practice. especially 1000SCs.

Fifth, I recently realized that its much more faster and easier to eliminate wrong answer choices--->narrow your possible choices---->eliminate the wordy and redundant of the possible choices---> Voila!! you have your answer :D Its tricky and feels like a time waster at first, but trust me, I have improved my score using this. I promise you it will be much much easier once you have the SC rules in your head. IF you come across a question that looks clueless, the answer will most probably be staring at you in the idioms docs.

So far, this is where am at. I hope I helped.
cheers
Re: advice needed   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2012, 16:14