Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can someone direct me to a previous post on this? I am

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Can someone direct me to a previous post on this? I am [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 14:44
Can someone direct me to a previous post on this?

I am pretty good about understanding the questions being asked but have a VERY hard time sticking with 2 minutes per question.

PS questions that require me to plug and play or do manual calculations (long division, multiplication, etc.) are time killers.

I have never finished the test on time and must always guess on the last 5-7 questions.

I have timed myself during practice and find I can zip through DS relatively quickly but take much longer on PS. With that, I also tend to miss more DS than PS so that's not good either.

My last Quant score on the official test was a 48 but I had to guess on the last 6-7 questions in order to avoid the penalty of not finishing on time. A little help from the group???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2007, 15:15
hi... you can read my post "from 44-46 to 50" at the top of the forum. it has some comments on timing.

as you found out yourself - simple calculations tend to be the biggest time consumers.... and obviously there are 2 ways to cope with it:
a) improve your calculation skills
b) find ways to solve that require less calculations

for (a) you'd need to practice a lot, but do yourself a favour - practice all calculations by heart. no pencil and paper (and definitely no calculator).
there are many shortcuts in calculations. for example 37*19 should always be done: 37*20 (that's easy 740). then substruct 37 to get 703.
there are plenty of such shortcuts and methods. the more you do it by heart the easier is to find them.

for (b) it is more complicated to explain... better do it by example... but in general it is all about representation. in gmat you can almost always represent the same data in a way that requires less calculations (i.e. find algebraic ways to simplify answers). also, in many cases you only need to roughly estimate the result and not do the calculations to the end. this can save you time as well. also, try to use "plugin numbers" very cautiously. looking at this forum i think it is overused and overrated as a solving method. and it may become a time killer as it always reduce things to simple (but potentially lengthy) calculations.

in order to better help you and others i suggest that you publish "time killer" questions. i.e questions that are not hard to solve but took too much time to solve. i'm sure that someone in this forum may be able to point the shortest way to the solution.
  [#permalink] 22 Jan 2007, 15:15