Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 17:15
...in the following cities (listed from favorite to least)

1. North Carolina (particularly Charlotte, but the research triangle works as well)
2. Dallas/San Antonio (not Houston...also don't list UT-Austin since that's a given)
3. Boston and Philadelphia (I guess NYC as well)
4. San Diego, Los Angeles, and Phoenix area (don't list USC since that's obviously the biggie in that region)
5. Florida and Atlanta area

Thanks! I have no idea where to apply/what programs to look at so this would be of great help, especially since, as you can tell, I'm all over the map!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:01
wannabeCPA wrote:

1. North Carolina (particularly Charlotte, but the research triangle works as well)
2. Dallas/San Antonio (not Houston...also don't list UT-Austin since that's a given)
4. San Diego, Los Angeles, and Phoenix area (don't list USC since that's obviously the biggie in that region)

Thanks! I have no idea where to apply/what programs to look at so this would be of great help, especially since, as you can tell, I'm all over the map!

Have you consulted the PAR list that is stickied at the top? It lists the top-rated programs.

I'll list a few programs that I know off the top of my head...

North Carolina - has NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest
Dallas - you could check out Southern Methodist
Boston - BC is the only one I'm aware of
Philadelphia - Villanova has an MS in Tax that's quite good. Drexel will be offering an MS in Accounting next year... it's by no means a top-rated program, however they have a pretty good reputation with the firms in the area.
NYC - Baruch is a top-rated. Fordham has a program as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 08:48
shannondu10 wrote:
wannabeCPA wrote:

Have you consulted the PAR list that is stickied at the top? It lists the top-rated programs.

I'll list a few programs that I know off the top of my head...

North Carolina - has NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest
Dallas - you could check out Southern Methodist
Boston - BC is the only one I'm aware of
Philadelphia - Villanova has an MS in Tax that's quite good. Drexel will be offering an MS in Accounting next year... it's by no means a top-rated program, however they have a pretty good reputation with the firms in the area.
NYC - Baruch is a top-rated. Fordham has a program as well.

I did, but I don't see a lot of programs you listed on this, for example:

download/file.php?id=10450

I didn't see NC State, Southern Methodist, Fordham, etc. so how does one get a feel for some of these programs and how they place? Will the overall prestige of the school make a huge difference or is it mainly up to the person?
Intern
Intern

Re: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 07:49
marakon8 wrote:
I did, but I don't see a lot of programs you listed on this, for example:

download/file.php?id=10450

I didn't see NC State, Southern Methodist, Fordham, etc. so how does one get a feel for some of these programs and how they place? Will the overall prestige of the school make a huge difference or is it mainly up to the person?

Fordham was on the list where they broke it down by size: download/file.php?id=10456

As was Southern Methodist: download/file.php?id=10454

Overall, there really isn't an abundance of MAcc programs. Basically I focused my search on major cities where I was considering working, and researched schools in the area to see who had a program. I cross-referenced it with that list, and then also researched the program's local standing. NC State might not be as prestigious a program, but tuition is much more affordable and it's located right near Raleigh.

Basically, you can research the facts they have on their website, and contact the admissions office for information regarding job placement (how many have jobs at graduation, how many obtain jobs in Big 4 firms, where do most of their grads work, etc). Just because a program isn't on a list doesn't mean it is a bad program for you. Many of these programs are smaller or newer and thus haven't gained the recognition of some of the PAR report rankings.
Re: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What The Top MAcc Programs R   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2010, 07:49