Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can someone help me to creat a study plan?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 15:20
Hi,

First, I hope you guys are not bored with all my posts :(

Before starting, I just want to let you know that I don't want to give up!!!!!
I can do it...gmat is my first real challenge in life and I must succssed

Here's my story with gmat....

I started studying for GMAT in January 2009, but on and off....I got the basic of math during the month of February and March. I stopped studying in April. In May, I decided to do the GMAT, I knew I wasn't ready, but I wanted to know where I stand.

Real GMAT - May 1st, I scored 330 (Q-22/ V-14)

I studied hard in May and June, went on vacation in July, came back to study in August.

In September 7th, I did the first GMATPrep and scored 430 (Q-34/ V-16)
Stopped studying for two weeks and then back to study in October.

I did the second GMATPrep in October 10th and scored 400 (Q-35/ V-12)

October 22, I did again the first GMATPrep and scored 520 (Q-37 - V-24) --Many questions were repetitive, so the score wasnt representative.

Yesterday, October 28, I did the real GMAT and scored 410 (Q-31/V-16)

I studied very well the OG 11, verbal and quantitative reviews. I also studied the PowerSore SC and CR. I went over the Manhattan RC. I went over Kaplan book, but in February.

Now, what do I do?
I know that I wasted too much time..I had to my focus and concentrate on GMAT for 2-3 months.

My weakness is RC...I don't even read the texts!!!
Random guesses and move to the next question!!
SC is good, CR is not bad

I want to start improving first RC because I'm still optimistic and energitic

Do you recommend that I take Kaplan or Mangatten course?? I read some posts about the courses and it seems that they teach tricks and hints, but not dont focus on concepts...Is it worth it?

I would like to be done with GMAT by February 1st or before...is it enough time?

English is my second language

I'm aiming for 600
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Services and Product Development
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 19:42
This post received
KUDOS
since you're planning to take your test in Feb , I think there is ample time for you to concentrate on the basics .

http://www.grammar-monster.com/site_map.htm

You can use sites like the one above , or use certain Basic Grammar Books like High School Grammar by Wren And Martin . This would help you brush up on basic concepts like nouns , pronouns , clauses , adjectives and other building blocks of basic english grammar .

To develop the basic math skill for GMAT a Quant workbook is a must . You can use the Kaplan Quants Workbook , which will help you in developing/brushing up on basic mathematical skills .

I would suggest that you spend atleast 2 weeks on developing the basics .

I can suggest you optimum preparation plans for each section

Sentence Correction

Grab Manhattan SC guide , and complete it like theres no tomorrow ! . This would shoot your SC scores up like you would've never thought ! . Remember to solve the related OG questions at the end of each chapter religiously after completing the chapter from Manhattan .

Critical Reasoning

Again grab the Manhattan CR guide and go through it thoroughly and follow the similar approach of solving the related OG questions at the end of each chapter religiously after completing the chapter from Manhattan .

If you find the ideas presented in Manhattan too vague , then you can go for Powerscore CR bible for a comprehensive insight into critical reasoning . Also there is a useful ppt which I have attached regarding critical reasoning .

Reading Comprehension

Again read Manhattan's approach to solving RCs and then try and complete the RC section from OG . RC can neither have tricks applied to it , nor shortcuts . Basically do a lot of reading apart from the regular study material . http://www.economist.com/ is an excellent resource for GMATish passages .

Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency

Once you're done with the workbook , start working on OG problems .

If the workbook doesnt cover probability just google "probability" and readup links like http://www.mathgoodies.com/LESSONS/VOL6/intro_probability.html

I would suggest that you religiously follow the OG and the OG itself . If you're done with it once , go over it again , until you know how each and every question in there needs to be solved . Its like your Chris Gardner's book from Pursuit of Happiness . You have to live with it , stay with it , breathe with it , and I promise the OG wont let you down 8-) .

It'd be awesome if you could fit time for practicing the aforementioned material into your own schedule that you're comfortable with. :wink:

All the best ! :)
Attachments

Critical Reasoning.PPT [200.5 KiB]
Downloaded 74 times

To download please login or register as a user

File comment: once you're done with your basics of english grammar and manhattan SC , go through this . One of the best pieces of SC notes ever compiled . God bless Sahil !
Sahil's Grammar Notes.doc [147 KiB]
Downloaded 64 times

To download please login or register as a user

procrastination is the biggest sin of all

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8758 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 04:44
Expert's post
Also look here - that's the first menu item under GMAT
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 07:25
Thank you guys,

Ill come back to your posts when I go back home....but a quick question..

You didn't tell me your openion about taking a course...I checked Kaplan course and started to be convinced in it!!

I'm really aiming now for at least 600...can I increase my score by 200 alone?

Thanks,
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 21:06
Expert's post
Hi MontrealLady,

I'm glad you're considering a Kaplan course!

To answer your question, 200 points is possible. It's an ambitious goal, and not every student manages it, but I just this week received an email from a student who had that kind of increase.

I do have a question for you, though--where did you go to school? In addition to our regular GMAT courses, Kaplan offers international GMAT courses at some of our centers. The reason I ask is that generally, we send students to the IGMAT course if they went to a college that speaks a foreign language, and advise those who studied in English to take the regular class.

Regardless, having a Kaplan teacher on your side can go a long way to raising your score. Please, let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer about our offerings, and good luck with your studies!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 07:56
ronniebassist wrote:
since you're planning to take your test in Feb , I think there is ample time for you to concentrate on the basics .

http://www.grammar-monster.com/site_map.htm

You can use sites like the one above , or use certain Basic Grammar Books like High School Grammar by Wren And Martin . This would help you brush up on basic concepts like nouns , pronouns , clauses , adjectives and other building blocks of basic english grammar .

To develop the basic math skill for GMAT a Quant workbook is a must . You can use the Kaplan Quants Workbook , which will help you in developing/brushing up on basic mathematical skills .

I would suggest that you spend atleast 2 weeks on developing the basics.
I registered in the online Manhattan course and it comes with 2 free math workshops that helps with basic math

I can suggest you optimum preparation plans for each section

Sentence Correction

Grab Manhattan SC guide , and complete it like theres no tomorrow ! . This would shoot your SC scores up like you would've never thought ! . Remember to solve the related OG questions at the end of each chapter religiously after completing the chapter from Manhattan .
I bought the PowerScore SC book, but I heard many good things about Manhattan book...it is part of the books I will recieve

Critical Reasoning

Again grab the Manhattan CR guide and go through it thoroughly and follow the similar approach of solving the related OG questions at the end of each chapter religiously after completing the chapter from Manhattan.
How can I know which the related OG questions are to the chapter Im studying?

If you find the ideas presented in Manhattan too vague , then you can go for Powerscore CR bible for a comprehensive insight into critical reasoning . Also there is a useful ppt which I have attached regarding critical reasoning .

Reading Comprehension

Again read Manhattan's approach to solving RCs and then try and complete the RC section from OG . RC can neither have tricks applied to it , nor shortcuts . Basically do a lot of reading apart from the regular study material . http://www.economist.com/ is an excellent resource for GMATish passages .

I have this book and, honestly, I didn;t find it very helpful :? ...but I will go over it again b/c RC is my weakest area

Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency

Once you're done with the workbook , start working on OG problems .
which workbook are you talking about :?:

If the workbook doesnt cover probability just google "probability" and readup links like http://www.mathgoodies.com/LESSONS/VOL6/intro_probability.html

I would suggest that you religiously follow the OG and the OG itself . If you're done with it once , go over it again , until you know how each and every question in there needs to be solved . Its like your Chris Gardner's book from Pursuit of Happiness . You have to live with it , stay with it , breathe with it , and I promise the OG wont let you down 8-) .
I already went over the OG 2 or 3 times...but may be need to go in more depth

It'd be awesome if you could fit time for practicing the aforementioned material into your own schedule that you're comfortable with. :wink:

All the best ! :)

yes I will especially that most of the materials you mentioned are Manhattan books ...
thank you for your help :) :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 07:57
bb wrote:
Also look here - that's the first menu item under GMAT
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Thank you bb :)
Re: Can someone help me to creat a study plan?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2009, 07:57