Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 09:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:50) correct 25% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
Can someone pls let me know -

tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit ….OR….A tomato is not a vegetable but is a fruit - which one is correct?

In the above question why C is wrong??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

gmatprep.JPG
gmatprep.JPG [ 13.71 KiB | Viewed 1334 times ]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT_prep question !!! Palentologist Stephen Jay Gould [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 10:09
biswarup1234 wrote:
Can someone pls let me know -

tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit ….OR….A tomato is not a vegetable but is a fruit - which one is correct?

In the above question why C is wrong??

Wow, that's pretty tough.
You are correct to say, "a tomato is not a vegetable, but a fruit."
In your tomato sentence, since there is only one verb, "is," there is no need to repeat it a second time -- the meaning is clear.

In this GMAT question, however, there are multiple verbs competing for attention, specifically, "are," "favored," and "enhance."
Since there are so many verbs, leaving out the verb after "but" creates some confusion and makes the sentence harder to read. Theoretically without the second "are," the sentence could appear to mean "..., but enhance simply random..." or "..., but favored simply random...", rather than the intended meaning, "..., but are simply random..."

Because of this potential confusion between verbs, and the fact that the inclusion of "are" makes the sentence easier to understand, D is a better answer than C.

Hope that helps :)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: GMAT_prep question !!! Palentologist Stephen Jay Gould [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 03:27
Expert's post
@biswarup1234: You should note two things about this clause. 1. Between ‘a tomato’ and ‘tomato’, simply tomato without the use of the article ‘a’ is better, because you are referring to tomato as a common noun. For example can you answer the question: which tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit? You can’t. because you mean all of them, don’t you?

Similarly, which is better? Man sometimes behaves badly or a man sometimes behaves badly? You will agree with the first one, won’t you?

2. A little bit of grammar now. “Tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit” is the right expression. The sentence uses the correlative conjunction ‘not …… but’ and as per the norms of correlative //ism, what ever structure is on the right side of ‘not’ should be there on the right side of but . In the clause, after not there is ‘a vegetable’, a noun and so we have to use ‘a fruit’, another noun after ‘but’. Using ‘but is a fruit’ is unparallel

Your GPrep question I could not attend because the fonts are too small.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT_prep question !!! Palentologist Stephen Jay Gould [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 21:22
daagh wrote:
@biswarup1234: You should note two things about this clause. 1. Between ‘a tomato’ and ‘tomato’, simply tomato without the use of the article ‘a’ is better, because you are referring to tomato as a common noun. For example can you answer the question: which tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit? You can’t. because you mean all of them, don’t you?

Similarly, which is better? Man sometimes behaves badly or a man sometimes behaves badly? You will agree with the first one, won’t you?

2. A little bit of grammar now. “Tomato is not a vegetable but a fruit” is the right expression. The sentence uses the correlative conjunction ‘not …… but’ and as per the norms of correlative //ism, what ever structure is on the right side of ‘not’ should be there on the right side of but . In the clause, after not there is ‘a vegetable’, a noun and so we have to use ‘a fruit’, another noun after ‘but’. Using ‘but is a fruit’ is unparallel

Your GPrep question I could not attend because the fonts are too small.

uploading the question again-

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

(A) due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are

(B) due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are

(C) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but

(D) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are

(E) because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 02:19
Still not getting why it is D and not c:( :oops: :oops: :oops:

I read Ron's explanation as well in mgmat forrum ... but the confusion still remains :( :shock: :roll:

Anyone is there to help ?

Thanks !

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 22:35
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

(A) due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are

(B) due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are

(C) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but

(D) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are

(E) because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

Does that help ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 22:36
Sorry for the color code..that was horrible :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 03:34
great explanations. thank you all

Sky is the limit

Re: Can someone pls let me know - tomato is not a vegetable but   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2011, 03:34