Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 23:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

can someone tell me what is the meaning of "the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

can someone tell me what is the meaning of "the [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 06:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
can someone tell me what is the meaning of "the chemicals division for the balance" in the following question
and how to resolve it?

A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three

years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20

percent of dollar sales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the

statement above?

(A) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.

(B) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the

chemecials division.

(C) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the

pharmaceuticals division.

(D) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchaged.

(E) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s

sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help OG CR 34 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 07:14
lxhalongside wrote:
can someone tell me what is the meaning of "the chemicals division for the balance" in the following question
and how to resolve it?
A company’s two divisions performed with remarkable consistency over the past three
years: in each of those years, the pharmaceuticals division has accounted for roughly 20
percent of dollar sales and 40 percent of profits, and the chemicals division for the balance.

Which of the following can properly be inferred regarding the past three years from the
statement above?

(A) Total dollar sales for each of the company’s divisions have remained roughly constant.
(B) The pharmaceuticals division has faced stiffer competition in its markets than has the
chemecials division.
(C) The chemicals division has realized lower profits per dollar of sales than has the
pharmaceuticals division.
(D) The product mix offered by each of the company’s divisions has remained unchaged.
(E) Highly profitable products accounted for a higher percentage of the chemicals division’s
sales than of those of the pharmaceuticals divisions.

pharmaceuticals divisions has 20% in dollar sales and 40% in profits, the chemicals division for the balance means the chemicals division has 80% (100%-20%) in dollar sales and 60% (100%-40%) in profits. Thus, you know C is your answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help OG CR 34 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 08:33
Yes, clearly C
Quote:
and how to resolve it?

well, the question is asking for how much the chemicals division has accounted for the balance...

if pharma division did 20% of sales and 40% of profits, clearly quimical division did 80% of sales but just 60% of profits

The OE is very clear, what's is your question?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 0

Re: Help OG CR 34 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS