Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can someone throw light on the following: In august 1980,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2003
Posts: 198
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Can someone throw light on the following: In august 1980, [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 09:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Can someone throw light on the following:

In august 1980, according to New york times news poll,36% of the voters called themselves republican or said they were indipendents leaning toward being republicans.In november 1984, the republican figure rose to 47%.But in the latest times survey, they were down to 38%.therefore the democrats are likely to win the next election.

which of the following would most seriously weaken the above conclusion?
a)republicans were a minority in 1984 but arepublican president was elected
e)It has been shown that 85% of republicans vote in an election, compared to 50% democrats.

Also is voting same as winning the election?

Thanks in advance.

Best..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 492
Location: Milan Italy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 10:29
I approached this like a PS
we have 40% for republicans and 60% for democrats.
Suppose total surveyed people are 100.
If 0.85*40% go and vote for the republican party, then the rep candidate will receive 34 votes.
Same reasoning for the democrat candidate, he will receive 30 votes.
In this case 36% don't vote.
So my answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 425
Location: Phoenix
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 11:13
thearch wrote:
I approached this like a PS
we have 40% for republicans and 60% for democrats.
Suppose total surveyed people are 100.
If 0.85*40% go and vote for the republican party, then the rep candidate will receive 34 votes.
Same reasoning for the democrat candidate, he will receive 30 votes.
In this case 36% don't vote.
So my answer is E


TheArch,

It has not been specified that Republicans + Democrats = 100%.
_________________

Who says elephants can't dance?

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 11:32
kapslock wrote:
thearch wrote:
I approached this like a PS
we have 40% for republicans and 60% for democrats.
Suppose total surveyed people are 100.
If 0.85*40% go and vote for the republican party, then the rep candidate will receive 34 votes.
Same reasoning for the democrat candidate, he will receive 30 votes.
In this case 36% don't vote.
So my answer is E


TheArch,

It has not been specified that Republicans + Democrats = 100%.



Kapslock, it doesn't matter, we know ~40% are likely to favor rep, by giving rest 60% to demo, we r actually creating a best case scenario for demo. If there r other parties then Demos % will go down even further. "E" is correct I believe.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 425
Location: Phoenix
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 14:05
banerjeea_98 wrote:
kapslock wrote:
thearch wrote:
I approached this like a PS
we have 40% for republicans and 60% for democrats.
Suppose total surveyed people are 100.
If 0.85*40% go and vote for the republican party, then the rep candidate will receive 34 votes.
Same reasoning for the democrat candidate, he will receive 30 votes.
In this case 36% don't vote.
So my answer is E


TheArch,

It has not been specified that Republicans + Democrats = 100%.



Kapslock, it doesn't matter, we know ~40% are likely to favor rep, by giving rest 60% to demo, we r actually creating a best case scenario for demo. If there r other parties then Demos % will go down even further. "E" is correct I believe.


Baner,

I agree with what you say, but we have some really tight call here.
Republicans : Democrats = 38% : 62%
Voting Repubs : Voting Dems = 38*0.85 : 62* 0.5 = 32.3 : 31

This is just but a trivial point. The important point is, that we don't know how long it is to go for the next elections, and we don't know if this percentage is going to hold till then. (If the republicans % could vary between november and now from 47% to 38%, who knows what it would be, in 2008 end).

Compared to this, isn't the other option fairly comfortable?
In 84, even when republicans were in minority, they won. When they are in majority, they are naturally more likely to win.

I know you can find holes in this statement, as to why don't Democrats naturally win despite being in a majority, but honestly, I don't have an answer to this, other than the fact that there has been a precedent for all to see.

Maybe we can try to work backwards using the OA if that can be posted now?
_________________

Who says elephants can't dance?

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2003
Posts: 198
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 20:44
good explanation everyone.the answer is e.

but is it safe to assume that just because more republicans will vote, they will necessarily win?i cant get this out of my brain.the last sentence of the argument clearly talks about 'winning' NOT voting.
am i missing something here? :roll:
  [#permalink] 11 May 2005, 20:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Can someone shed some light on how to prepare for the GMAT elevinty 7 19 May 2010, 02:49
throw some light on the meaning.. arjtryarjtry 4 12 Sep 2008, 05:28
Can some one throw some light on the following - a) harneetmkaur 0 16 Jul 2008, 04:01
Can someone give some explanation for the following lali 6 10 Nov 2006, 05:12
Can someone elaborate on the following appeared on p. 8 of Mingis 1 01 Jun 2005, 05:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Can someone throw light on the following: In august 1980,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.