Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Can't 'which' modify an entire sentence?! [#permalink]
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Mike!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
"Actually wrong" is a bit of an absurd concept, I think! You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't use 'which' to modify whole sentences. It's a fairly preposterous grammar 'rule', and definitely doesn't describe how people actually write and speak.

That said, I think we should be grateful that the GMAC considers it to be a rule. It gives you a very quick, smart way to eliminate answers that otherwise sound good to your ear. The 'which rule' is a very commonly tested concept on tough SC problems, and people who realize that the GMAC doesn't like it, have a leg up on people who solely use their ears for SC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
ccooley wrote:
"Actually wrong" is a bit of an absurd concept, I think! You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't use 'which' to modify whole sentences. It's a fairly preposterous grammar 'rule', and definitely doesn't describe how people actually write and speak.

That said, I think we should be grateful that the GMAC considers it to be a rule. It gives you a very quick, smart way to eliminate answers that otherwise sound good to your ear. The 'which rule' is a very commonly tested concept on tough SC problems, and people who realize that the GMAC doesn't like it, have a leg up on people who solely use their ears for SC.

Do you have an example to show that the GMAC considers this to be a rule? I kinda have a hunch it is, but have no proof or evidence. :|
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
ccooley wrote:

Do you have an example to show that the GMAC considers this to be a rule? I kinda have a hunch it is, but have no proof or evidence. :|

Sure thing! In the OG16, check out the official explanation for SC46, particularly answer choice A. The GMAC says that 'the referent of which is ambiguous'. But if the referent of 'which' could be a full clause, then it would clearly modify the entire preceding clause, 'alter the saline content of the bay'.

Another example is in the explanation for SC84. If the antecedent of 'which' could be "touch each exhibit" (i.e. a clause), then there wouldn't be any 'ambiguity'.

By the way, I can't stand how heavily the GMAC leans on the term 'ambiguous'. Ironically, they aren't very clear about what that means! It would make much more sense to phrase it in terms of grammar rules.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
ccooley wrote:

Dear ccooley,

With all due respect, my intelligent colleague, I am going to disagree with you. I admit this mistake runs rampant in colloquial speech, as does "less"/"fewer" confusion, as does "lie"/"lay" confusion. Of course, the language is always evolving, and those constructions that are technically wrong but widely used are likely to become accepted at some point. Nevertheless, as the English language now exists, in 2016, there is a more colloquial side and a more sophisticated, well-spoken side. The latter, and only the latter, is the standard to which the GMAT conforms. The GMAT even gives deference to the "old-fashioned" rules concerning split infinitives and ending with a preposition: the folks at GMAT don't test these things directly, but such mistakes appear only in incorrect answer choices on official questions. The question of whether any construction is common in colloquial speech is immaterial: what matters is how structures are used in formal contexts, such as professional and academic writing. In such contexts, I submit it would be relatively unlikely to find the pronoun "which" referring to an entire clause. Furthermore, the word "which" is a pronoun, a relative pronoun, and therefore we can expect the formal rules for it to conform to those of all other pronouns. Pronouns refer to nouns. Insofar as we agree that this is a "rule," we would have to admit the corollary with the word "which."

Mike McGarry
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts