Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can the positive integer p be expressed as the product of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Can the positive integer p be expressed as the product of [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 04:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Can the positive integer p be expressed as the product of two integers,each of which is greater than I?

(1) 3I<p<37
(2) p is odd

Plz explain..

Cheers,
Circkit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 09:10
Statement 2 by itself is insufficient. You don't know what I is. The answer could be Yes or No.

Statement 1 by itself is also insufficient. If I is 1 and P is a prime number; the P cannot be expressed as the product of two integers greater than I.
If P is even number or other non prime odd number, then P might be able to be expressed as the product of two integers greater than I.

Together, still insufficient.

Therefore, I think the answer is E.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: DS- positive integer [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 12:45
circkit wrote:
Can the positive integer p be expressed as the product of two integers,each of which is greater than I?

(1) 3I<p<37
(2) p is odd

Plz explain..

Cheers,
Circkit

It is either A or E. :?:

I rephrase it to: Is integer p NOT prime?

(1) 31<p<37

p: 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

32 = 16 * 2
33 = 11 * 3
34 = 17 * 2
35 = 7 * 5
36 = 12 * 3

Although we don't know which of those numbers is p, but p can be any of those numbers and still satisfy the question as NONE OF THEM ARE PRIME. I am not sure if my reasoning is valid to make it SUFF on the GMAT.

(2) p is odd

p can be 3, 9, 11, 27

3=3 * 1 .......... NO
9=3 * 3 ...........YES
11=11 * 1 ........NO
27=9*3 ...........YES

Sometime NO, sometime YES, we don't know for sure, so INSUFF

----

If A is not the answer then it is E.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 16:23
I will go with A

Question says that can the positive integer p be expressed and not will the positive integer p be expressed. It means we have to search for the solution, where our requirement should be one of the possible solution.

Case 1 - P lies between 3I and 37, in this case we dont know the value of I, which can be eithe positive or negative. The maximum value of I can be 11, making 3I = 33. In this case P can be 34, 35, or 36. In such situation two integers, whose product will give the value of P, will not be greater than I.

But if I is a negative integer, Z, or positive integer lesser than 4, its possible that the 2 integers, whose product = p, are greater than I.

Case 2 - Insufficient, as I is not defined.

Amar
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2007, 16:23