Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Can verb-ed modifier be without a comma ? [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatter0913 wrote:
What is the difference if we introduce "that"?

My question is shouldn't the sentence be - " the army of terra-cotta warriors that was created to protect..."?

Hi gmatter0913,

Note when you introduce THAT - it implies there are multiple "Armies of terra-cotta warriors"

...and the kind we are talking about is the kind THAT blah blah blah..

Now ask yourself: are there multiple terra-cotta warriors?

No - they are known as a single entity in history.

If, however, there existed terra-cotta warriors in China as well as Africa and London then you can use THAT to specifically narrow down the KIND of terra-cotta warriors the author is referencing.

Since this is not the case, it would not make sense to use THAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
gmatter0913 wrote:
Sentence 1: The space ship, designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.

Can we say as below? ( I understand that if we remove the comma, we change the meaning as the sentence refers to a specific space ship)

The space ship designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years cannot be made with poor quality materials.

What is the difference if we introduce "that"? - The space ship that is designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation...

Could someone apply the same to the below "verb-ed" modifier?

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China's first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

My question is shouldn't the sentence be - " the army of terra-cotta warriors that is created to protect..."?

hi,

IMO

The space ship ,designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.
putting between the commas makes it a non essential modifier....WHICH IS SAME AS :

The space ship ,WHICH IS designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.

NOW:
The space ship designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years cannot be made with poor quality materials.
NOW IN THIS CASE IT IS ESSENTIAL MODFIER WHICH IS SAME AS;
The space ship THAT IS designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years cannot be made with poor quality materials.

but in all the cases it is modifying the closest noun space ship.(which is the property of verb-ed modifier).

so in your question:
the army of terra-cotta warriors that is created to protect.===>i dont think that this changes the meaning...

VERB-ED MODIFIIERS :Always modify preceding noun or noun phrase.
PLEASE REFER THIS:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

hope it helps

Originally posted by blueseas on 02 Aug 2013, 09:16.
Last edited by blueseas on 07 Aug 2013, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
mau5 wrote:

I believe this part is erroneous.

Usually, if the structure is : Comma + Verb-ed, then the modifier generally modifies the subject of the clause, not the closest noun.

If the structure is without a comma, then verb-ed modifier will modify the closest noun.

hi mau,

comma +verb-ed ==>modifies the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE only and not the subject of the preceeding clause.

please refer to article bty e-gmat:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [0]
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
mau5 wrote:

Usually, if the structure is : Comma + Verb-ed, then the modifier generally modifies the subject of the clause, not the closest noun.

If the structure is without a comma, then verb-ed modifier will modify the closest noun.

hi mau,

comma +verb-ed ==>modifies the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE only and not the subject of the preceeding clause.

please refer to article bty e-gmat:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

thanks

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/on- ... 33-30.html

Read the post by Ron, 5th from bottom.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [0]
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
mau5 wrote:
mau5 wrote:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/on- ... 33-30.html

Read the post by Ron, 5th from bottom.

hi mau,
please refer this.
below was the reply given by e-gmat
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html#p1113449
Hi there,

Thanks for liking the article. I’m glad to know that it has been useful for you. Now let’s get to your question.

My sister finally quit her job, discouraged by the long hours and low pay.

Yes, you are correct in saying that the verb-ed modifier can modify either the immediate preceding noun or the immediate preceding noun phrase. A verb-ed modifier cannot jump over a verb to modify a noun in the subject place. The entity that a verb-ed modifier modifies has to precede it.

Also, if you read this sentence properly, it seems to suggest that “discouraged” is actually modifying the preceding clause. It is giving more information as to why “my sister” quit her job by stating the reason for it. Such modification in GMAT is not acceptable.

Hence the correct sentence is:

Discouraged by the long hours and low pay, my sister finally quit her job.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

I believe that you read the example given by Ron? . When you say that it will ALWAYS modify the closest noun/noun phrase, that's what makes it wrong. This rule is not mandatory. And more so, the example given by you, is I believe inspired from here : https://grammar.about.com/od/basicsenten ... phrase.htm

Please read the reason given for that particular sentence to be awkward. Thus, in a nutshell, it is not a mandatory rule that a verb-ed modifier will "ALWAYS" modify the closest noun/noun phrase.
Current Student
Send PM
mau5 wrote:

I believe that you read the example given by Ron? I have even made the word "Always' bold in my response. When you say that it will ALWAYS modify the closest noun/noun phrase, that's what makes it wrong. This rule is not mandatory. And more so, the example given by you, is I believe inspired from here : https://grammar.about.com/od/basicsenten ... phrase.htm

Please read the reason given for that particular sentence to be awkward. Thus, in a nutshell, it is not a mandatory rule that a verb-ed modifier will "ALWAYS" modify the closest noun/noun phrase.

yes i can see where i made mistake.(ALWAYS)
i will edit that part.
thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 887 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
mau5 wrote:
blueseas wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
Sentence 1: The space ship, designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.

Can we say as below? ( I understand that if we remove the comma, we change the meaning as the sentence refers to a specific space ship)

What is the difference if we introduce "that"? - The space ship that is designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation...

Could someone apply the same to the below "verb-ed" modifier?

Rivaling the pyramids of Egypt or even the ancient cities of the Maya as an achievement, the army of terra-cotta warriors created to protect Qin Shi Huang, China's first emperor, in his afterlife is more than 2,000 years old and took 700,000 artisans more than 36 years to complete.

My question is shouldn't the sentence be - " the army of terra-cotta warriors that is created to protect..."?

hi,

IMO

The space ship ,designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.
putting between the commas makes it a non essential modifier....WHICH IS SAME AS :

The space ship ,WHICH IS designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years, cannot be made with poor quality materials.

NOW:
NOW IN THIS CASE IT IS ESSENTIAL MODFIER WHICH IS SAME AS;
The space ship THAT IS designed to withstand low earth orbit radiation for 20 years cannot be made with poor quality materials.

but in all the cases it is modifying the closest noun space ship.(which is the property of verb-ed modifier).

so in your question:
the army of terra-cotta warriors that is created to protect.===>i dont think that this changes the meaning...

VERB-ED modifiers always modify the closest noun...with or without comma.

hope it helps

Well, I have read the Ron's answer, and I am amuse
. However, it is not true that comma + Verb-ed GENERALLY modifies the subject.

Furthermore, I stand on the position of E-gmat, that comma+ VERB-ed always modify clousest noun of noun phrase IN GMAT, as I I have seen no examples in Ron's videos that contradict this rule.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Firstly, I thank you all for putting forward a good discussion on this topic.

Ron says -

, verb-ed modifier (preceded by a comma) modifies the subject of the preceding clause.

e-gmat says -

, verb-ed modifier (preceded by a comma) cannot jump over the verb (in the preceding clause) to modify the subject, and hence it always modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase.

Who is correct?

Blueseas, Could you help me on this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think e-gmat is right and their example of OG12 Q56 is spot on.

The only question I have is: We're saying that the rules is not always true as sometimes it depends on the meaning.

Am I right?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts