Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you explain this to me..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Can you explain this to me.. [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 06:46
So, I had couple of questions for IIM A and I emailed them. I understand they have scores of highly talented applicants and may be I shouldn't even think of applying to the school but I thought I should share what happened to me.. This was my email.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an overseas candidate for the MBA batch of 2010. IIM -A has great placements in India, thus making it one of my top choices along with few other schools in the States. I was browsing through the admission site and have couple of questions.

1. Does IIM-A participate in any admission event in USA? Is there a way to know about school by talking to someone in admission committee?
2. I read that application for 2010 batch is only published on October 15th'07. Is that when, I will get to know the essay questions?
3. Is there a way to get in touch with a current student/ recent alumni to learn more about school?

Thanks much in advance,
Abhishek

AND THIS WAS THEIR RESPONSE:
Can't you follow the admission procedure mentioned over there? Thanks.

WOW - I have no words

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 06:53
More I think of it, more furious I get!!

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:04
Don't worry about it. IIM-A just now lost their future's highest earning student
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:11
I am not worried about them. I was just telling my friends in States that India had grown and has many good schools to match the rep of US schools.. blah blah blah..

It just seems that we still have long ways to go---

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:27
You should send the original email and the reply to some newspaper in India man. This is absolutely outrageous.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 08:19
Although the IIMs have grown tremendously in the last few years, many of the administration / admission people working at IIMs (And most other govt-run institutes / universities) still act very much like the typical govt-employees (Read rude, lazy n laid-back, unaware of the latest technology and management skills etc).

So, I would caution people (Specially Indians who are considering applying to some Indian schools too) from forming an opinion about the schools based on the administration / admissions people. They do not correctly show the amazing education, great network, great overall experience and great career improvements that you can get from the IIMs.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 10:00
Bewakoof, by all means, this should not be the way an admission officer should be replying to any prospective applicants. This, I believe, is a lack of professionalism from the part of the individual rather than a reflection of the school itself.
One thing you may consider doing is to address a very polite email to the dean of the school, or someone in greater authority at the school, and copy that uncouth email along with it. I'm sure you should get some better feedback than what you had. IMO, such abrasiveness was somewhat excessive and I cannot imagine someone from my school ever saying such thing to a future applicant.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 11:41
Thanks Paul.. I think I am going to do what you said. Its surprising that I have had amazing responses from Berkley and Stanford to my queries but was very dissapointed with IIM's.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 11:11
Actually in India IIM-A is considered as something which is out of this world. I know they have opted out of one of the most popular MBA ranking system because they believe this will hurt the Ranking system more than IIM-A. The school is still under the control of Govt of India and this mindset will take years to change.

You have right to get frustated with this kind of behaviours. We are used to face this type of incidents all the time in India. I hope the new dawn of private schools like ISB will help IIMs to tighten their seat belts.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 03:22
mNeo wrote:
So, I would caution people (Specially Indians who are considering applying to some Indian schools too) from forming an opinion about the schools based on the administration / admissions people. They do not correctly show the amazing education, great network, great overall experience and great career improvements that you can get from the IIMs.

Well said :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 09:42
First of all, that's a terrible response. But I agree with the other posts, after I came to India I was shocked by some of the mails my colleagues sent out. They weren't trying to be rude but their use of the English language left a lot to be desired. Perhaps the same thing occurred here.
  [#permalink] 24 Aug 2007, 09:42