Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you please evaluate my profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Can you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 10:34
I am an Asian American male
GPA 3.2/4
BA at Wichita State University
Major in Finance
Gmat attempt #4 - 620 (Q47, V28)
-Past three attempts scored 33-34 verbal with awa of 5-5.5

Work History
8+ years small family business auto industry experience. Duty includes general office management, sales, auction work, and customer service.
2 years tax professional experience at large tax preparation company. Duty includes general tax preparation, client file management, and customer service.

Extracurricular activity
8+ years doing martial arts-won gold in 15+ tournaments-team trials competitor- many volunteer hours doing demos/teaching.

Career focus:
Want to get mba in NYC or SF so that I can get into a top analyst program of one of the major financial corporation.

Target MBA programs are Davis, Cornell, and Simon but will send in an application for Stern.

What do you think my chances are for getting accepted into one of these programs? What are some things I should focus on in order to improve the strength of my applications?

Thank you for your time,
Long
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 08:22
Expert's post
Hi Lvnguyen87,

Thanks for posting. For your application, I am concerned about your GMAT score. Understand that your test score is self-reported on your business school application, so admissions teams will only focus on your highest score.

The reason that I worry is that with Simon, for example, the middle 80% range GMAT scores is 630-710. This means that with your score, you would be in the bottom 10th percentile. This does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted, but it is not a preferable position to be in.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Can you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 10:37
Thank you for your prompt reply Stacy

I am also concern about my GMAT score as well but hopefully through the essay portion and AWA I will be able to show my proficiency in the English Language. The verbal score, if anything, was not representative of my scores in my practice and past actual gmat exam. I would take it again but I figured that, since my funds are now running low, I needed to save what was left for the application fees.

So long as I can prove my leadership skills, academic skills, and communication skills do you think that my experience in the ball park of what a top mba program is looking for?