Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you please evaluate my profile-a small query again

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can you please evaluate my profile-a small query again [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2006, 16:20
Hi,
I would be grateful to you if you can give feedback about the schools I can consider based on my profile.

Indian
Age 28
Experience 5.5 years.
2 Years in a Mechanical company in the field of Plastic Injection Moulds-India

Currently from past 3.5 years in Japan as a Application engineer in the field of Manufacturing (CNC Machine tools-Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)) and frequently travelled to Singapore, Malaysia and India for Technology transfer to other regional manufacturing engineers and to give Seminars to our customers on latest technology developed.
Demonstrated leadership qualities in existing experience.

Qualification: B.S in Mechanical Engineering-GPA 3.4, 4 years Diploma in Tool and Die Making from the premier institute in India - 70% (NTTF)

GMAT: Targeting 700+

Other Activities: I play Indian musical instrument called Tabla and have reached the professional level and also have won state awards.
Our team lead by me had won Quality Circle competition during my Diploma
I was also a cultural secretary and was responsible for conducting all the cultural events.
I had won award and received an appreciation certificate for excellent performance during my tenure in Philips-India
I can speak Japanese (conversational level).

Do I have a chance in Ultra elite schools or elite schools like NYU and DUKE.
Do I have a better chance at European B schools like LBS, INSEAD, IE,IMD??
I am interested in General Management so please advice me the schools I can apply for, based on my profile.

Your suggestion matters most to me.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Sadanand.

Last edited by sadanandagk on 04 Dec 2006, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2006, 13:37
sadanandagk wrote:
Hi,
I would be grateful to you if you can give feedback about the schools I can consider based on my profile.

Indian
Age 28
Experience 5.5 years.
2 Years in a Mechanical company in the field of Plastic Injection Moulds-India

Currently from past 3.5 years in Japan as a Application engineer in the field of Manufacturing (CNC Machine tools-Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)) and frequently travelled to Singapore, Malaysia and India for Technology transfer to other regional manufacturing engineers and to give Seminars to our customers on latest technology developed.
Demonstrated leadership qualities in existing experience.

Qualification: B.S in Mechanical Engineering-GPA 3.4, 4 years Diploma in Tool and Die Making from the premier institute in India - 70% (NTTF)

GMAT: Targeting 700+

Other Activities: I play Indian musical instrument called Tabla and have reached the professional level and also have won state awards.
Our team lead by me had won Quality Circle competition during my Diploma
I was also a cultural secretary and was responsible for conducting all the cultural events.
I had won award and received an appreciation certificate for excellent performance during my tenure in Philips-India
I can speak Japanese (conversational level).

Do I have a chance in Ultra elite schools or elite schools like NYU and DUKE.
Do I have a better chance at European B schools like LBS, INSEAD, IE,IMD??
I am interested in General Management so please advice me the schools I can apply for, based on my profile.

Your suggestion matters most to me.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Sadanand.

Sadanand,

You have an impressive profile. The Japan gig and Asian travel experience is a major asset in helping you stand out and the professional-skill status in music also sets you apart (vs. others who just play instruments, etc.). You don't appear to have formal leadership authority, so you will have to emphasize the leadership you have had as much as you can (in addition to emphasizing your interrnational experiences). If you get a 700 you should be competitive at both NYU and Duke. I don't see why you would have any greater (or lesser) advantage at European schools. You should be competitive at IMD and IESE. LBS and INSEAD may be more long shots for you. Maybe consider UNC, Cornell, or Texas, and possiby Darden and Michigan.

Gambatte,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 04:01
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for evaluating my profile. It has provided me enough motivation to aim for better GMAT scores. I shall definitely try to emphasize on leadership roles in my essays.

I have only one query. Does my undergradute college matters a lot for my profile to apply for the schools you have suggested? I have done my undergraduate degree through correspondence, so will this be a setback for me???
Thanks for your time and help.

Domo Arigatho gozaimasu,

Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu,
Sadanand.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 13:14
sadanandagk wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for evaluating my profile. It has provided me enough motivation to aim for better GMAT scores. I shall definitely try to emphasize on leadership roles in my essays.

I have only one query. Does my undergradute college matters a lot for my profile to apply for the schools you have suggested? I have done my undergraduate degree through correspondence, so will this be a setback for me???
Thanks for your time and help.

Domo Arigatho gozaimasu,

Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu,
Sadanand.

Sadanand,

As long as the college that issued your degree is a full-fledged, certified university that the adcoms have heard of you should be OK. It might help to add an addendum where you explain why you needed to earn your degree in that way.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 18:23
Thanks for your advise Paul. It helped me a lot to pursue my goal with more confidence.
Regards
Sadanand.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 11:06
sadanandagk wrote:
Thanks for your advise Paul. It helped me a lot to pursue my goal with more confidence.
Regards
Sadanand.

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /