Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you pls assess my profile.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Can you pls assess my profile. [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 17:58
Hello Paul,
Just wanted to thank you for providing so much info on the forum already! I have already learnt so much from it, as to how to approach the whole MBA admissions procedure.
Now to the actual question. I am a medical graduate (MBBS) from India. I will be doing my MPH ( Master Of Public Health), starting this Fall from a US university. I am still considering the school that I wannna go to finally. This is because I have to make a choice whether it is worth spending upto $50K on thi sdegree or whether I should go to a less famous university, which still ranks among the Top 20 as far as the USnews ranking is concerned. I had a GRE of 1480 ( Verbal - 690. Quant - 790. AWA - 5.5)
I had always wanted to do an MBA and that is why I have decided to take up the Occupational And Environmental Health Concentration. In my Medical school days I was among the top 3 in a class of 125 and had pretty strong recommendation letters, courtesy my school projects in Preventive medicine of which a few suuggestions were implemented by our hospital.
Now I have to make a decision as far as preparing about GMAT is concerned. I need to understand wht are the chances that I have of getting into a top B school, considering my background that I have given to you uptill now. I have always wanted to be involved in the administrative side of things for which I have wanted to do an MBA so this is my plan. Let me know how good it is to give me a realistic chance in the top 5 B scchools. The reason why I am ding MPH is that it is going to give me a chance to get involved in the industrial aspect of things since out here in Inida my qualification generally entails only patient care and has nothing to do with the industry. After I am done with my MPH, work and get 2 yrs of work experience and at the same time take up my GMAT. Also I would like to take up courses in Calculus, Statistics, Quantitative Analysis, Macroeconomics, Corporate Finance, certificate in Finance. Also this will give me a chance to get involved in some sort of community service. Also I dont have much as far as the extra curricular activities is concerned. MPH will lead me to the industrial aspect of things and after a couple of yrs of work experience a MBA is going to get me involved into the administrative aspect of things and will help in ataining my goal of looking and pursuing the administrative aspect of things.
So what do you tink about my case and d o I stand a realistic chance to get into a top B program and what changes (Additions/Subtractions) should be done to this?
Thanks a lot in advance.

DONT THINK YOU CAN, KNOW YOU CAN!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Can you pls assess my profile. [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 17:38
Expert's post
coolmavs wrote:
Hello Paul,
Just wanted to thank you for providing so much info on the forum already! I have already learnt so much from it, as to how to approach the whole MBA admissions procedure.
Now to the actual question. I am a medical graduate (MBBS) from India. I will be doing my MPH ( Master Of Public Health), starting this Fall from a US university. I am still considering the school that I wannna go to finally. This is because I have to make a choice whether it is worth spending upto $50K on thi sdegree or whether I should go to a less famous university, which still ranks among the Top 20 as far as the USnews ranking is concerned. I had a GRE of 1480 ( Verbal - 690. Quant - 790. AWA - 5.5)
I had always wanted to do an MBA and that is why I have decided to take up the Occupational And Environmental Health Concentration. In my Medical school days I was among the top 3 in a class of 125 and had pretty strong recommendation letters, courtesy my school projects in Preventive medicine of which a few suuggestions were implemented by our hospital.
Now I have to make a decision as far as preparing about GMAT is concerned. I need to understand wht are the chances that I have of getting into a top B school, considering my background that I have given to you uptill now. I have always wanted to be involved in the administrative side of things for which I have wanted to do an MBA so this is my plan. Let me know how good it is to give me a realistic chance in the top 5 B scchools. The reason why I am ding MPH is that it is going to give me a chance to get involved in the industrial aspect of things since out here in Inida my qualification generally entails only patient care and has nothing to do with the industry. After I am done with my MPH, work and get 2 yrs of work experience and at the same time take up my GMAT. Also I would like to take up courses in Calculus, Statistics, Quantitative Analysis, Macroeconomics, Corporate Finance, certificate in Finance. Also this will give me a chance to get involved in some sort of community service. Also I dont have much as far as the extra curricular activities is concerned. MPH will lead me to the industrial aspect of things and after a couple of yrs of work experience a MBA is going to get me involved into the administrative aspect of things and will help in ataining my goal of looking and pursuing the administrative aspect of things.
So what do you tink about my case and d o I stand a realistic chance to get into a top B program and what changes (Additions/Subtractions) should be done to this?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Coolmavs,

Combining an MPH and an MBA is an established career path, as the number of top universities offering dual MBA-MPH degrees testifies to. If you want an MBA from one of the very best MBA programs, however, you will have to be "stellar" across the board, which means not only a 720+ GMAT but an exceptional leadership profile and community track record. What you do in the two years after earning your MPH will therefore be critical--the greater your level of responsibility and bottom-line impact the better your chances at a top B-school. You will need to make a very focused and credible argument for why you cannot achieve your post-MBA career goal without *both* degrees. I think your chances of admission would be better at business schools that already have joint degrees with MPH programs since these programs will already be aware of the value of the MPH - MBA combination. Some top programs offering MBA-MPH dual degrees include:

--Berkeley Haas
--Columbia University
--Dartmouth Tuck

among others.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2006, 06:24
Hey Paul, thanks for answering my queries. Actually I have already applied to mu MPH programs and am in the process of choosing the university that I wante dto go to. There were a few reasons why I didnt apply for the dual MPH-MBA programs. First of all I didnt have the relevant work experience that is required by most of the Bschools. Also I didnt have much knowledge as to what are the career prospects after doing a dual MBA-MPH program. Now it is too late as I ahve already got my admites from most of my applied schools.
Now, I have a decision to make as far as choosing the MPH program that I want to go to. My question to you is that for the Bschool adcom, will my MPH experience make a significant impact. Also, will the school from where I do my MPH make a differnce to my Bschool application later (I know that ideally it doesnt, but practically does it work the same way?) Aslo what field do MPH applicants concentarte on, i mean Marketing, Finance or so on? Also what are the sort of jobs that I can expect after I finish mu MBA after my MPH?
Thanks a lot in advance for answering my queries.

DONT THINK YOU CAN, KNOW YOU CAN!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2006, 21:47
Expert's post
coolmavs wrote:
Hey Paul, thanks for answering my queries. Actually I have already applied to mu MPH programs and am in the process of choosing the university that I wante dto go to. There were a few reasons why I didnt apply for the dual MPH-MBA programs. First of all I didnt have the relevant work experience that is required by most of the Bschools. Also I didnt have much knowledge as to what are the career prospects after doing a dual MBA-MPH program. Now it is too late as I ahve already got my admites from most of my applied schools.
Now, I have a decision to make as far as choosing the MPH program that I want to go to. My question to you is that for the Bschool adcom, will my MPH experience make a significant impact. Also, will the school from where I do my MPH make a differnce to my Bschool application later (I know that ideally it doesnt, but practically does it work the same way?) Aslo what field do MPH applicants concentarte on, i mean Marketing, Finance or so on? Also what are the sort of jobs that I can expect after I finish mu MBA after my MPH?
Thanks a lot in advance for answering my queries.

CoolMavs,

Yes, I think the distinctiveness of pursuing an MPH will help you stand out and the quality of the school you earn it at will also weigh into the B schools' decision. However, B-schools value work experience over academic experience as a general rule, so you may have a harder time demonstrating the leadership and real-world impact that B-schools like to see.

As for the job titles most MBA-MPHs hold, I don't know the answer, but I'm sure you can get this information by visiting the websites of schools that offer MBA-MPH degrees or by sending an email to their admissions or placement offices. Once you find the post-MBA/MPH career title that appeals most to you, you can then choose the MBA specialization that will best help you get there (or, again, email schools with MBA-MPH degrees and ask them what tracks those students usually pursue). Let us all know what you find out!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog